UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Apr 2013, 4:07 pm   #1
Caled2013
Retired Dormant Member

Default Dansette up in smoke

Hi everyone,

First off, hello!

I've just been having a nosey around your site, looks good! Looks a friendly place full of knowledgeable people.

The reason I've stumbled across your site is I've had a bit of a mishap with my dansette hifi last night whilst showing it off to some friends.

The hifi - sure you all know what they look like:

http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/...s/Dansette.jpg

Well, I left it playing last night for the missus to look after whilst I nipped out to the shops, only to come back to find smoke pouring out of the thing and everyone stood in the kitchen wondering what the funny smell was .

After rapidly unplugging it and running it to the balcony, I let it cool down and took off the... err... panel, and had a look inside and found this, still very warm:

http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/...psd3df7479.jpg

I had a quick poke around, and I think this may be above my pay grade, but I'd really like to see this up and running again as Im quite attached to it.

So, the question is: could any of you guys recommend a place that could repair this dansette hifi for me? Any idea what its likely to cost? Ideally somewhere in the northwest, but I suppose I could ship it if there is a highly recommended person somewhere else around the country.

Thanks!
Old 7th Apr 2013, 5:31 pm   #2
Top Cap
Octode

Default Re: Dansette up in smoke

Hi, I am sure somebody more local to you in this Forum will be glad to help.
I live the other end of the M1 in Watford, that's Herts not Gap
If the worst comes to the worst and you cannot find anyone more local, I will be happy to take a look for you, I assume the legs unscrew for easy (and cheaper) transport.
Les
Old 7th Apr 2013, 6:33 pm   #3
Herald1360
Dekatron

You might be lucky and find it's only the fused link that's burnt out due to bad connections, but it does rather look like a possible dead transformer (the square grey thing it plugs into).

Worst case you could be looking at a mains transformer, output transformer and maybe valves as well as whatever culprit kicked it off- probably a cheap capacitor failing. At this point just for parts you're up around £50 or more......

You could repair it more cheaply by fitting a modern amplifier inside which would still sound good but the instant turn on is a bit of a giveaway.

Another possibility is to sell it as is for spares / repair trading on the Dansette's desirability and replace it with a cheaper but ultimately higher quality Hacker or similar.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 7th Apr 2013, 7:25 pm   #4
Radio Wrangler

If it's been pouring smoke, there must be more then a fuse gone.

At the worst, the transformers can be re-wound, and spare valves found. All the rest are just cheap and readily available bits.

Caled, if you look further around the site and see some of the things which have been restored, yours is quite straightforward.

There are a couple of capacitors which if they fail, turns on one of the power valves as hard as it can go. This takes a lot of current and makes the valve very hot, ruining it. The high current also passes through the output transformer (The more distant chunk of iron and windings in your photo), heating it, and through the main transformer, the closer lump with the plug-in voltage selector link on top of it.

The question is how far had the trail of destruction got before you pulled the plug. The most likely thing that kicked the whole chain of events off only cost pennies. It's a sufficiently common failure in valve radios and amplifier that the DC blocking capacitor feeding an audio output stage is called "THAT capacitor" on this forum.

David
Old 7th Apr 2013, 8:40 pm   #5
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Caled, if you get over towards Newcastle I can look at it for you, and even re-wind the transformer if necessary.

Ed
Old 8th Apr 2013, 10:18 pm   #6
mark_in_manc
Octode

Hi -

I'm a 'learner' on here, so I'm not your man...but I have noticed a dealer / repairer in a shop on the Chester Rd a little past the M60 on the way into Sale, on the left. No experience with them, but might be worth a look if you want to drop it off with someone and come back with some kind of guarantee.

cheers
Mark
Old 9th Apr 2013, 10:20 pm   #7
Caled2013
Retired Dormant Member

Hi all,

Thanks very much for all the responses!

I'm very much wanting to get this up and running again. I've spoken to a few of the technicians I work with and they've also given me a few pointers on what to look for. As has been said, if one component has gone - even if it hasn't caused the failure of others - the others are probably approaching the end of their lifespan. I'm expecting any electrolytic caps to be well on their way.

I've finally figured out how to get the unit to pieces - doesn't look like they were designed to be taken apart that easily - and need to unsolder some components to get them tested, but may ask some more knowledgeable colleagues to do this part as I think some of the high voltages are a bit beyond my experience and knowledge.

I'm very tempted to get this refurbished professionally by a vintage hifi restorer. Problem with that though is finding them! Thanks for the tip mark_in_manc, I've just gone along the A56 on google streetview and think I've spotted the store you mention, and I've also been told of one up in Preston that I may go visit.

I'll keep you all updated!
Old 28th Oct 2013, 9:04 pm   #8
Caled2013
Retired Dormant Member

Hi everyone,

It's been a bit longer than I was expecting but I've finally managed to sort out the hifi, so I thought I'd update you all.

With the help of my colleagues at work, we've identified that the transformer and rectifier had both died, and the Hunts capacitors, whilst still working, were looking rather... bloated. The smoothing cap also looked a little off.

I sourced a new mains transformer from ampmaker.com (highly recommended, incredibly quick delivery) for £25+p&p, and it fits perfectly in the gap of the old transformer. We've replaced the Se rectifier with four 1N4007 diodes, and we replaced the Hunts capacitors with new polypropylene ones. We've also replaced the pair of 47uF smoothing caps with modern alternatives, and a work friend tested the two ECL82s on a valve tester he has and they're both good, luckily.

I'm in the process of adding in-line fuses all over the show, so hopefully it won't happen again, then I just need to put everything back in the box and get listening to some records.

Just wanted to pop back and share the good news, and thank you all for both your input into this thread, and also for the great information provided on this site.
Old 28th Oct 2013, 10:26 pm   #9
FERNSEH
Dekatron

At least insert a fuse in series with the primary of the mains transformer.

My write up of the restoration of a similar Dansette record player:

http://vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=95928

DFWB.
Old 28th Oct 2013, 10:32 pm   #10
crusher19860138
Hexode

Well done!

Glad it turned out OK for you in the end.
Closed Thread