UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Sep 2012, 11:48 pm   #1
jobsworth
Tetrode

Default Metrawatt Metravo 3 questions

Dear Forum Members

I came across a rather neglected but interesting multimeter at a car boot sale and bought it for a quid. On closer inspection it looked as if it had been kept in damp conditions. It didn't work and part of the front fascia was missing, the part that provided information about the five terminal sockets that take a standard 4mm banana type plug. I was able to coax it into life through the use of some switch cleaner and a gentle bit of reaming to the 5 terminal sockets on the top of the front fascia. Everthing is working relatively fine now, the X1 ohm scale is way off so I will investigate further at some stage.

I do have some questions though. I have not been able to locate a manual for this device, it is Austrian and probably unusual in the UK. Firstly there are a series of illustrations on the rear panel that show different connections for the various measurements that can be done. I understand most of them but one has me perplexed and I wonder if anyone is able to shed light on it. The diagram that is bottom left shows the meter connected to something with a symbol that has a G in a circle with an AC symbol beneath and also connected in a different set of sockets on the meter but these have what appears to be some sort of component. Does anyone have a clue as to what that is all about?, is G a galvanometer? or does it stand for Gerate? and what is the other thing that is connected, is it a resistor? a capacitor?

Secondly inside the meter there is a copper or brass "thing" that is over some coils. The things is made from thin sheet brass or copper and reminds me of a bimetal strip for some reason. The sheet is slightly convex in profile. Is it a screen to reduce "hum" in the coils? will it move if it heats up and make contact with the coils?

I have included some photos of the various bits I have spoken about but also some of the innards. (provided I can get them attached!!!)

Thanks in advance

Regards

Chris F
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1100119.jpg
Views:	683
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	70704   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1100127.jpg
Views:	1314
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	70705   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1100129.jpg
Views:	1282
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	70706   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1100117.jpg
Views:	630
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	70707   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1100120.jpg
Views:	532
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	70708  

Old 17th Sep 2012, 9:25 am   #2
glowinganode
Octode

Default Re: Metrawatt Metravo 3 questions

Hi Chris.
The brass strip will be the current shunt for the 3A current range, the other coils will be the shunts for the lower current ranges. The 12A range shunt is on the reverse side and is visible in picture 3, bootom left.
The G symbol does suggest a (voltage) generator, the component I take to be a resistor.
I think what it is suggesting, if you connect the supply and load as illustrated, you can measure the voltage or current without having to move any leads and without interrupting the supply to the load. Useful for instance if you were monitoring a motor on load.
Cheers, Rob.

Last edited by glowinganode; 17th Sep 2012 at 9:35 am.
Old 17th Sep 2012, 12:17 pm   #3
Herald1360
Dekatron

The whole style of this meter reminds me somehow of the Russian unit that I bought about 40 years ago. Certainly the diagrams on the back and the general typefaces used. I wonder if it's a badge engineered job of some sort?
.........O..Chris....O
Old 17th Sep 2012, 12:34 pm   #4
glowinganode
Octode

Yes, it reminds me of the Bloc imports you could buy down Tottenham Court Road in the 70's.
Old 17th Sep 2012, 12:59 pm   #5
Andrewausfa
Octode

I spotted one their 'Metrahit' meters recently at what seemed a reasonable price and, as you do, did a bit of background research to see if they were a reputable firm which it seems they are. German firm based in Nuremburg, still extant and have been making test gear for many years

Andrew
Old 17th Sep 2012, 1:52 pm   #6
jobsworth
Tetrode

Thank you so much for your responses, that has cleared things up for me and now it all makes sense (especially now I have read up about current shunts and how they can be used in measurements).

Regards

Chris F
Old 18th Sep 2012, 11:26 am   #7
stuarth
Heptode

I have a modern German made "Metramax" digital meter which is marked with no less than 3 brand names, "Gossen", "Metrawatt", and "Camille Bauer", so these companies were merged at one time at least. I also have an analogue meter visually very similar to the one shown (but with completely different ranges) which is branded "Iskra", and was made in Yugoslavia.

The styling of the meter shown is strikingly similar to the Austrian Unigor range which are branded "Goerz electro", or "BBC Goerz", and are also sold under the "Venture" and "Kelvin/Kelvo" brands for Smiths Industries. I believe the Unigor 6e was also available branded as a Simpson 2795. The Unigor meters all feature a very effective cut-out.

The Metrawatt and Unigor ranges have very similar styling, but I haven't found a direct connection between the companies.

Several Russian made multimeters have a passing resemblance to the Metrawatt/Unigor meters, including the taut-band movements, but I expect that these a cheap copies of the German/Austrian brands.

S
Old 18th Sep 2012, 4:51 pm   #8
pmmunro
Octode

The three companies, Gossen, Metrawatt and Camille Bauer have been amalgamated for some time and trade in many countries as "GMC". The constituent companies have a long history of high quality instrument making in Germany.The ABB (Asea Brown Boveri) group became a major shareholder in Metrawatt in 1968 which I believe they still hold. There's an extensive history here, although it loses something in translation! http://www.myphotoweb.com/Gossen/info/history.htm.

The company's own website is worth looking at, especially the link to a somewhat "hyper" Australian reviewing a top-of-range electrical power meter. If you need it, you'll pay more for the input protection circuitry than some cheap multimeters.

http://www.gossenmetrawatt.com/

Mertawatt multimeters have appeared with ABB and AVO labels, in fact at one time all digital Avometers were relabelled Metrawatts.

PMM
Closed Thread