UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Nov 2011, 4:35 am   #1
dinkydi
Retired Dormant Member

Default Philips PM9690 xtal oven schematic/manual?

Does anyone know of the whereabouts of a schematic or manual for the Philips PM9690 "ovenised" 10MHz crystal. This crystal reference was a common option with many Philips frequency meters/counters.

I have repaired a number of these references using a rough circuit I have drawn out (the most common fault is, surprise surprise, blown tantalums) but I now have a unit with a more complex fault - the oscillation amplitude is unstable and after 10 minutes oscillation stops altogether.

A schematic/manual would be of great help because it would minimise my time poking around in the fragile circuitry of the oven "inner sanctum".

Peter
Old 28th Nov 2011, 9:27 pm   #2
WME_bill
Octode

Default Re: Philips PM9690 xtal oven schematic/manual?

Philips PM9690 oven reference oscillator. For PM6611 to PM6615 timers/counters. The attached, taken from the Timer counter manual may give you some ideas. Presumably the fault lies with the oscillator itself. If the oven control, then that would presumably cause a slower cycling effect, affecting the stability, but not the ability to oscillate. Have you tried it with without the oven in use. I suppose the power transistor mounted on the case controls the heater, or is the heater. You will note the challenging comment - PM9690 is factory repair only. Let us know how you get on with the challenge. Bill m0wpn
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Oscillators for PM6611-6615 counters.pdf (376.1 KB, 688 views)
Old 29th Nov 2011, 9:07 am   #3
dinkydi
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Philips PM9690 xtal oven schematic/manual?

Thanks Bill for your thoughts and pdf posting. The other counters that offer the PM9690 option have similar oscillator write-ups in their manuals. However, the design of the PM9690 actually changed over time.

In Bill's pdf the photograph shows a PM9690 with components on a board external to the oven box housing. In later designs the housing is bigger and encloses all components, including the board - this is the type I am presently working on.

One has to question whether enclosing tantalums in a box that operates at considerably elevated temperature can be good for reliable long-term performance.

The PM9690 part number in Bill's pdf is 9446 096 900.1, while my unit has a part number 9446 096 90011 and I would not be surprised if there were other designs and part numbers in existence.

Peter
Closed Thread