UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 19th May 2010, 11:09 pm   #1
Herald1360
Dekatron

Default Hacker VHF Herald RP37A Repair

This was eventually a success, though in no way a restoration.....

After languishing in the garage for a while, my trusty old Herald stopped working- zilch output, just a thump from the speaker at switch on. Hauled off to the shed where a quick poke with the 'scope (which lasted just long enough before it, too died) revealed plenty of audio at the amplifier input. So.... dead amplifier.

This shouldn't be too difficult, I thought...... hmmmm!

Initial measurements showed up a hefty standing current accompanied by a dead short AC128 output device. No spares and no inclination to spend anything prompted the recollection of a few BD139/BD140 devices in the stash, so after tracking down a copy of the service manual, I sat down at the computer and did a little modern cheating and fired up a simulation of the Hacker circuit with the modern devices in place of the originals. A bit of iteration and I had a rebiassed design ready to go- see part circuit below.

A couple of months later (you know how it is) I got round to building up the new amplifier. Hooked it up, turned on and . Lots of standing current and no output At least the new devices were effectively bomb proof (I had had one bit of foresight when I set a 75mA current limit on the bench PSU I was running it from. In to work with it, then, for a bit of lunchtime consultation. Eventually, after replacing any electrolytic which looked like a possible current path,we removed the output stage test link which reduced the current a little. A check showed current was still flowing through the bottom half of the output stage. Tried removing the driver transistor- no change. Checked current in R6- high, but not flowing through T2- simply not possible given the resistors around it. This left only one possible culprit, C7 (300pF polystyrene)- about the last thing I would have suspected. It was dead short.

Replaced C7 and all the rest of the removed bits- joy- standing current now about 6mA.

Back home, reconnected in radio, now audio output but very distorted. Remembered output stage test link was still open and hooked up meter which improved quality no end! Adjusted crossover current (RV4) and output centre point voltage (RV3) and all was finally well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hack amp.JPG
Views:	981
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	36052  
.........O..Chris....O
Old 20th May 2010, 1:35 am   #2
mark pirate
Dekatron

Default Re: Hacker VHF Herald RP37A Repair

Well done! i took the the easy route with mine, replaced the amp board with a "car boot special" removed from a very battered "painter & decorators" set obtained for 50p
When working well, these sets wipe the floor with roberts sets of the time.
While you have it in bits, worth making sure of the connection of the 5 pin plug connecting the set to the amp.

Mark
Old 20th May 2010, 9:23 pm   #3
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

Interesting fault glad it is all sorted. The sound from these and all these big Hackers are just amazing.
Old 21st May 2010, 7:05 pm   #4
mhennessy
Dekatron

Excellent - no real reason why silicon can't be used in a simple circuit like this... How are the new transistors mounted - presumably you had to extend the lead-outs? A picture would be interesting (especially if you include the speaker in the shot )
Old 4th Aug 2010, 12:09 am   #5
Herald1360
Dekatron

Returned to this thread yesterday and noticed request for pics......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RP37Amod1.jpg
Views:	728
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	38917   Click image for larger version

Name:	RP37Amod2.jpg
Views:	674
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	38918  
.........O..Chris....O
Closed Thread