UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 18th May 2009, 11:29 pm   #1
Tazman1966
Nonode

Default Contributors to "Television" magazine

Hello all.

Seeing as I was kindly supplied with a whole batch of "Television" mags by Michael Maurice and having just read this thread and in particular, post #16, how many former contributors to the late lamented "Television" are here with us on the forum?

Obviously the incredibly humourous and experienced Les Lawry-Johns are sadly no longer with us but names like Eugene Trundle, George Wilding, Roger Bunney, Steve Beeching, Robin D Smith, Nick Lyons to name but a few.

Maybe Mike Phelan you know more

Kind regards,

and...
Old 18th May 2009, 11:46 pm   #2
KeithsTV
Nonode

Default Re: Contributors to "Television" magazine

Whilst not in the same league as Mike Phelan, I have to admit to writing a few articles for Television in the early 90s.

Having spoken to John Reddihough on a couple of occasions I got the impression that the chances of getting an article published were fairly high as they were beginning to dry up even back then.

I've also had articles published in Practical Electronics and Practical Wireless.

Keith
Old 19th May 2009, 7:12 am   #3
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

While not in the same league as Mike Phelan et al I wrote a few articles in the late 1980s. They are on my website.

I also had the great pleasure of meeting John Reddihough at his house in Turnham Green.
Old 19th May 2009, 8:07 am   #4
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Michael Maurice is a member here, and Bill Wright has an excellent website devoted to aerials.

S. Simon was, of course, LL-J.

I always wonder what happened to the chap from Malta (Victor someone?) who was always writing into the letters page with ingenious but slightly daft "tips"

Nick.
Old 19th May 2009, 8:13 am   #5
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithsTV View Post
I have to admit to writing a few articles for Television in the early 90s.
Under what name?

All I ever managed was a handful of letters and contributions to Fault Reports (in the days when they weren't picky but still paid well!).

N.
Old 19th May 2009, 8:22 am   #6
Tazman1966
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickthedentist View Post
...I always wonder what happened to the chap from Malta (Victor someone?) who was always writing into the letters page with ingenious but slightly daft "tips" ...
Wasn't that Victor Rizzo?
Old 19th May 2009, 8:24 am   #7
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazman1966 View Post
Maybe Mike Phelan you know more
Tas
I don't really know any more than the rest of you. All the stuff I wrote was in pre-PC days, so was hand-written; my copper-plate calligraphy was better than it is now!
I have spoken on the 'phone to Eugene Trundle a few times.

We still exchange Xmas cards with John and Elizabeth Reddihough. I was on a course at Wimbledon once and took the opportunity to meet John - we went for a very enjoyable Chinese meal in Richmond.

I only actually met Michael Maurice at the NVCF the other week!

No-one has yet mentioned David Robinson, who is a member here.

LL-J will never be forgotten; one of the greats.

Last edited by Mike Phelan; 19th May 2009 at 8:25 am. Reason: Tas beat me to it (Victor Rizzo)
Old 19th May 2009, 9:57 am   #8
Sideband
Dekatron

Yes. I confess to writing servicing artcles and tips on Philips TV chassis and one on the famous Philips 'Turbo' VCR deck under my own name and also a couple of 'aliases'. I think the CP110 featured my ugly mug on the front cover ! I used A.J Roberts and Frank Harding as the aliases.

I was advised to stop using my own name by Philips (for whom I worked at the time) to avoid any possible legal issues that might arise if the article was traced back to me and ultimately Philips.

I don't have many of these articles now. I did two on the G110. The later article was mainly updates on what had been a troublsome power supply.

I also contributed a fair number of tips in VCR Clinic and the TV tips. I also had the pleasure of John Reddihough's company.

As far as I am aware, Eugene Trundle is still going strong. I met him whilst I was writing the CP110 article and he is responsible for the front cover photo! I spoke to him many times whilst I was at Philips when he had obscure power supply faults in some of Philip's somewhat unusual designs.

Rich.

Last edited by Sideband; 19th May 2009 at 10:05 am.
Old 19th May 2009, 10:11 am   #9
AndiiT
Octode

Hi,
Another one here. Similarly not in the same league as some other "Television" contributors that frequent this forum but a few fault reports and letters, a couple of half page anecdotal items and my "piece De resistance" an intercom system which used standard telephones (I often wondered if anyone else actually built/used my design!)

Regards
Andrew Tebbutt
Old 19th May 2009, 10:17 am   #10
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Oh yes, Richard Newman, sorry to have forgotten you! Always enjoyed your articles.

Likewise Glyn D?? aka our Welsh Anorak.

And I'm sure Peter.N. was featured now and again.

I still feel that there are a lot of past contributors out there who would love this wonderful site, if only they knew about it, were au fait with the internet etc.

Nick.
Old 19th May 2009, 12:29 pm   #11
Boom
Retired Dormant Member

Yep, I had one or two small items in the 80s published including a simple video fader device that I designed and even spoke with Eugene once

Dave
Old 19th May 2009, 2:01 pm   #12
Aerodyne
Octode

Early eighties, though leading a very busy life I contributed around a dozen or so articles plus service reports etc. At the time John wanted more than I could manage. Sad that the magazine had to go but I guess its time was over.
-Tony
Old 19th May 2009, 4:08 pm   #13
Sean Williams
Dekatron

You can also add Chas Miller.....
Old 19th May 2009, 5:12 pm   #14
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

[Gulp] Of course! Apologies, Chas, if you are reading this.
Old 19th May 2009, 6:27 pm   #15
ALANS ANITAS
Rest in Peace

The early articles by Eugene Trundle were attributed to E. Trundle. Why?

Another contributor was the late David Botto.

ALAN
Old 19th May 2009, 6:36 pm   #16
Boom
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANS ANITAS View Post
The early articles by Eugene Trundle were attributed to E. Trundle. Why?

ALAN
It might have been a play on the title of the film of the time ET which LLJ referred to a few times.
Old 19th May 2009, 6:51 pm   #17
tellyman
Retired Dormant Member

Although I did not contribute much to "Television", just a few letters, I did however have the honour of being written about by LLJ himself. My mate Alex and I had been on a day trip to Sendz Components and decided to seek out this "legend of our trade". After arriving in Gravesend,we were directed to a small shop at the top of the hill opposite the green. Here we found the great man, a humble TV engineer just like ourselves. All the things he used to write about were there in plain view. The dog, the cat and of course the wife. The next month in TV mag there we were in Les's latest article. We had an encore some time later when we called in again after a similar trip to Sendz. He was a very nice man.
Old 19th May 2009, 7:42 pm   #18
Boom
Retired Dormant Member

Les Lawry-Johns Stories and obituary

http://www.vintage-radio.info/llj/
Old 19th May 2009, 7:48 pm   #19
ALANS ANITAS
Rest in Peace

The E.Trundle legend was in use many years before the film E.T..although LL-J certainly used E.T for Mr trundle.

Roger Bunny now writes in "What Sattelite TV"

ALAN
Old 19th May 2009, 11:03 pm   #20
KeithsTV
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickthedentist View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithsTV View Post
I have to admit to writing a few articles for Television in the early 90s.
Under what name?
All the articles were under my own name. Although I work in the electronics industry these articles bore no relation to the work I was doing at the time. Had the subject of the articles been related to my work (highly unlikely) I would probably have used a pseudonym.

My first article was written when a friend suggested I published an Electronic ignition system I had designed. I wrote to Practical Electronics and they wrote back saying send us the article. It was published in the October 1981 issue. It was a similar story with Television. There were a few articles related to Scart sockets but the one that seemed to have the most reaction was on adding a NICAM decoder in February 1993. I had a number of letters from people who had built the decoder which was based on a surplus unit from Sendz.

I often wondered how many people actually built the designs published in the various magazines. I suspect it's not that many unless it's a particularly unique design or is something not generally available. I have heard that if a 100 people build a published design then it's considered a good response.

I've also had a couple of letters and fault reports published, not enough to retire on but it all helps.

Keith (Wevill)

Oh I have found the Television issue with the CP110 picture on the cover.
Closed Thread