UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Jun 2008, 5:59 pm   #1
Variometer
Retired Dormant Member

Default Home-made Acorn valveholder

After I completed my miniature "paint tin" tuning coil, it reminded me of the arrangement of acorn valve pins. I have had a jam jar full of 955 acorns for some years now, but only two or three holders. This afternoon, the spirit moved me to try & make one. I drew two circles on a piece of black 3mm acrylic & drilled out the centre one. Then I drilled the five connection holes for the valve & two holding down holes. Then I cut out the ring & smoothed the edges down. The valve pins are gripped between two washers on each connection & solder tags (M3) are fitted. It is a bit more complicated than real acorn holders where the valve is just pushed in, but it only takes a minute or so to slack off the five 6ba nuts with a small box spanner & change the valve. I suppose my next project is to make a one valve reaction reaciver using these two items.
Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Coil & Acorn valve & holder (Medium).JPG
Views:	184
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	17981  
Old 18th Jun 2008, 7:47 pm   #2
Herald1360
Dekatron

Default Re: Home-made Acorn valveholder

That wouldn't look out of place on a nice baseboard with some square wire! (Even if the acorns would be anachronistic).

Another home made variable condenser and you'll have the important bits ready to go.....

Old 19th Jun 2008, 7:09 pm   #3
Variometer
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Home-made Acorn valveholder

No doubt it will finish up on a polished baseboard quite soon. Today, I made two "vintage-style" capacitors with brass terminals, one with the grid leak resistor across the top. I will make the reaction feedback capacitor tomorrow. Also veneered the baseboard with mahogany.
Bob
Closed Thread