UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Dec 2022, 12:43 pm   #1
Skylark UK
Triode

Default Trio TS120V only zeros on display when turned-on

I have a Trio TS120V which I've owned since the 1980s. It doesn't get a lot of use but it's enjoyable when it does.

When I power it up, the digital display reads "band.000.0" for example "14.000.0 or 7.000.0"

The set is otherwise working, the VFO will sweep and the S meter responds to signals, just that the display appears not to have built a head of steam.

After a couple of minutes, the display will show the correct frequency, eg, "14.142.7 or 7.142.7" and so on throughout its frequency range.

Is anyone intimately familiar with these rigs and could point me in the right direction, please?

Although I've held a license since 1982 I'm more of a mechanical engineer than electrical. I also respect the radio Hippocratic oath "first, do not harm"

Many thanks for any input.
Old 5th Dec 2022, 2:05 pm   #2
Techman
Dekatron

Default Re: Trio TS120V only zeros on display when turned-on

I'm not familiar with this set whatsoever, but some years ago someone asked me to look at a set that had a similar problem from what I remember. I found that there was a small rechargeable backup battery soldered onto the board that was failing and not holding its charge during periods of disuse. Once the battery had taken a charge after the set had been on for a while, everything was normal again - the set always defaulted to 14MHz LSB when the battery was flat...perhaps not the same fault as you've got, but just a thought.
Old 5th Dec 2022, 3:00 pm   #3
Radio Wrangler

There may be a loss of signal in the path from the VFO to the counter. The counter then properly counts zero cycles.

David
Old 5th Dec 2022, 3:45 pm   #4
Jon_G4MDC
Nonode

There is a mixer for the 5.5 - 6MHz of the VFO with 5MHz down to 0.5-1MHz before counting.

The MHz digits are from diode matrix, the kHz and Hz digits come from the counter. It says it blanks if the count is out of range.
I don't think yours is doing that. I assume blank means digit off.
Closed Thread