UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Dec 2019, 10:19 am   #21
1100 man
Octode

Default Re: JVC 3320 Transport Failure

Hi Peter,
I don't think there is any similarity between the 3v16 & 3v22 servo circuits. The 3v16 set up even has an extra pcb which needs a deeper rear cover to accommodate it.

Looking back over some past threads about 3v22's, drum servo problems, with similar faults to the one you describe, seem to be a common issue. The drum motor itself seems to be a common cause. It's a brushed DC motor and I assume the commutator/ brushes degrade to the point where it can't go fast enough. Might be worth checking before assuming it's an electronic fault!

In my experience, storing vcr's or almost anything for that matter in lofts, seems to almost guarantee they will be ruined! Extreme temperature turns the rubber to goo and dries out all the electrolytics. Then you get damp and mould in the winter!

Sadly I don't think I've got a manual- only a 3v16 one.

Good luck with it
All the best
Nick
Old 24th Dec 2019, 10:42 am   #22
peter_scott
Dekatron

Hi Nick,

I'm very much in tune with your thoughts. I had suspected the drum motor. I couldn't easily access the connections on it directly but I think I accessed the supply on the control board and it was something in the range 6 to 7 volts (I'll need to check it again.) I just didn't want to admit to myself that the motor was faulty but I'll go and solder a couple of wires onto it and check the voltage just now.

Thanks,

Peter
Old 24th Dec 2019, 11:13 am   #23
peter_scott
Dekatron

Hi Nick,

Here's what the drum motor terminals look like. The lower trace is just to point to zero volts on the scope and the upper one is at 2 volt/ div.

What do you think?

Peter
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1080850 (Medium).jpg
Views:	62
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	195794  
Old 24th Dec 2019, 11:46 am   #24
peter_scott
Dekatron

There is a capacitor or two around the drum motor drive in the 3V16 but I've yet to discover if they exist in my circuit.
Old 24th Dec 2019, 12:23 pm   #25
peter_scott
Dekatron

I've now changed both of the capacitors but unfortunately without any improvement.

Peter
Old 24th Dec 2019, 4:40 pm   #26
peter_scott
Dekatron

Well I think the drum motor is OK. With the odd glitch I've got it running at about the right speed with drum pulses at 25 Hz.

The breakthrough came with a tweak to the sample pulse amplitude. It's still not totally stable but appears to be a question of getting the tape path working correctly on the reference edge and without wiggling light reflections off the capstan and take-up areas and tape tension. All easier said than done.
Old 24th Dec 2019, 6:19 pm   #27
Red to black
Nonode

Yes the servos could be a PITA to set up on these, I probably have a service manual (paper) for this machine, I won't be able to dig it out before Christmas now though.
Old 24th Dec 2019, 6:40 pm   #28
peter_scott
Dekatron

Thanks Red to Black, There absolutely no urgency for this but I'd certainly like to see the schematic of the control board and maybe a bit about the path set-up.

Best wishes for a Christmas without thoughts of VCRs.

Peter.
Old 26th Dec 2019, 1:44 am   #29
Techman
Dekatron

Just been looking through my old manuals - these may be the ones you want, although one isn't very clear as the originals have been laminated, so the scanner struggled.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf capstan servo.pdf (854.6 KB, 53 views)
File Type: pdf audio and drum servo.pdf (765.2 KB, 47 views)
Old 26th Dec 2019, 1:56 am   #30
Techman
Dekatron

I've just had another go with the not so good one pressing hard down on the lid and with it showing the other end that was partially missing before, so perhaps you can work with the two. I think it's a bit clearer than the previous one.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf audio and drum servo2.pdf (1.15 MB, 51 views)
Old 26th Dec 2019, 10:59 am   #31
peter_scott
Dekatron

That looks like my circuitry all right Techman and I can read them just fine. Thank you very much for this Christmas present. Very much appreciated!

Peter
Old 26th Dec 2019, 5:01 pm   #32
peter_scott
Dekatron

Hi Techman, Can you tell me which model your schematic is from? It is using the AN318 chip but unfortunately it is configured in quite a different way to my JVC3320.

I'm now unsure whether I have an electrical fault or a mechanical one. The drum speed is varying above and below its correct speed.

In this video the first part shows the period of the drum sensor at 5 mS/div so for the correct speed the leading edge should be at 40 mS but you can see that it varies earlier and later than this. The second part of the video shows the drum motor drive voltage. (The drum speed is of course damped by the inertia of the flywheel.)

https://youtu.be/QS1oARbcTzo

Peter

Last edited by peter_scott; 26th Dec 2019 at 5:14 pm.
Old 27th Dec 2019, 12:31 pm   #33
peter_scott
Dekatron

Although Techman's schematic is rather different to mine it was very helpful in trying to identify the parts of my circuit. I eventually tracked it down to the limiter in the drum discriminator circuit with some help from:

https://www.americanradiohistory.com...e-Beeching.pdf

It was a leaky 10uF on the output of the limiter.

Thanks to everyone who offered help but especially to Techman.

So returning to my original problem of ghosting on a "modern" VCR I can play a 405 tape without the ghost.

Peter
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	limiter.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	11.9 KB
ID:	195913   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1080857 (Medium).jpg
Views:	76
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	195914  

Last edited by peter_scott; 27th Dec 2019 at 12:56 pm.
Old 15th Jan 2020, 3:14 am   #34
Techman
Dekatron

Hi Peter. Sorry, I completely forgot about this thread, so just catching up. Great to see that you got the fault sorted in the end. The circuit I posted was from the portable version of the early piano key top loader, which I thought would be the same. If 'Red to black' happens to see this and has his copy to hand and is able to post it, then it would still be interesting to see the differences and for completion of the thread for future reference.
Old 15th Jan 2020, 9:36 am   #35
peter_scott
Dekatron

I am really surprised at the number of significantly different circuit versions there are for what externally look like the same VCR.

Peter
Old 16th Jan 2020, 1:31 pm   #36
dj_fivos_sak
Heptode

Hi. A bit off-topic question so I apologize. What are the differences between the HR-3320 (3V22) and the HR-3330 (3V00)? I have an HR-3330TR which is multi-system (PAL, SECAM, NTSC 4.43). Was the 3320 released in the UK only with the EK model suffix?
Old 16th Jan 2020, 1:52 pm   #37
mark2collection
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_scott View Post
I am really surprised at the number of significantly different circuit versions there are for what externally look like the same VCR.

Peter
You're not kidding, I have the Baird version (looks standard enough) and an Akai version, where (from memory) the sys-con plus audio board are green and double sided! This being the only time I've seen double sided technology in a piano key machine.

Really must do something with these two, either enjoy them or, move them on. The Akai machine must be quite scarce(?) Cannot remember the model, begins 'VS' I think, the number 9300 rings a bell.

The Akai on occasions, unlaces whilst playing. The grease has turned to soft wax.

Mark
Old 16th Jan 2020, 5:06 pm   #38
peter_scott
Dekatron

Well, I can tell you that the 3330 uses an HA11711 chip in the drum servo control circuit whereas the 3320 uses AN318 an no doubt a million other differences.

Peter
Closed Thread