UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 1st Dec 2022, 3:06 pm   #21
Gabe001
Octode

Default Re: Ekco A182 restoration. An Ekco vanity set?

Can anyone advise on how to make best use of the shortwave bands? My shortwave reception tends to alternate between periods of clear reception and interference that wipes out the entire band. Is this normal? Also, is a standard wire aerial ok?
Old 2nd Dec 2022, 10:23 am   #22
cathoderay57
Nonode

Hi Gabriel, SW reception varies depending on time of day and solar flare activity that influences the ionised layers of the upper atmosphere. Higher frequency bands, 16-19m, are best during daylight and the lower frequency ones, 41-49m, during night-time. A directional loop aerial followed by a wideband RF amplifier is your best bet. These are directional and so can be rotated to null out local sources of interference (to some extent). You can buy commercial examples of loops, the best ones being quite expensive. Some of the cheaper variety work acceptably. Search the Forum since there has been quite a bit of discussion of these, also some homebrew examples. A long wire aerial will work; that's all I use most of the time but it really needs to be outdoors because indoor interference devices are now so numerous. Cheers, Jerry
Old 2nd Dec 2022, 10:35 am   #23
Hartley118
Nonode

In our residential area, I find a long wire too effective at picking up the switch-mode PSU interference field seemingly radiated from every house. As a result, I now always use a loop aerial, which is effective at rejecting the interference. Mine’s a commercial one (Wellbrook), but a search of this forum suggests various home brew types.

Martin
Old 2nd Dec 2022, 11:07 am   #24
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Paul Sherwin described the use of a ferrite rod aerial from a scrap transistor set: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...read.php?t=579
Old 2nd Dec 2022, 1:21 pm   #25
Gabe001
Octode

Thank you for the suggestions.

I'm familiar with Paul's thread and I had enquired about it with Paul directly a few months ago. I'll build it, it should be easy enough. I just need to get my hands on a spare transistor radio chassis with SW/MW/LW so that I can use the parts (ferrite rod and tuning cap) I'll put a request out in the appropriate section.
Old 2nd Dec 2022, 11:52 pm   #26
cathoderay57
Nonode

I'd be interested to hear how well it works on SW since most of the projects I've seen have been limited to LW and MW. I did come across this one https://swling.com/blog/tag/ferrite-antennas/ but my feeling is you'd be better off with a mag loop, swmbo permitting of course! Jerry
Closed Thread