UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Jan 2022, 12:10 am   #1
Chris55000
Nonode

Default Mullard Technical Communications?

Hi!

I have found two issues of "Mullard Technical Communications" on Frank's Electron Tube Data site, but to date I can't find any more!

These excellent publications gave much information, data and circuits for using Mullard's valves, semiconductors and other components.

Are these another resource that only exists on paper that's disappeared into non–public libraries, repositories and other closed organisations that will not loan or copy them except for a very large fee per page?

The trouble is, innumerable magazine articles, textbook chapters, some service manuals and other data make reference to articles in M.T.C., and you come to a dead–end trying to find out more!

Chris Williams
Old 8th Jan 2022, 2:05 am   #2
Synchrodyne
Nonode

Default Re: Mullard Technical Communications?

Mullard Technical Communications do seem to be rather scarce. I have found a small number, some I can share, some not.

For “must have” issues where the cost can be justified, try a library service. I have used, sparingly, the National Library of Australia for various publications of this kind, which it can retrieve from overseas affiliates as well as its own collection. See: https://copiesdirect.nla.gov.au/home. Another possibility is Linda Hall, https://www.lindahall.org/, although it did seem to be more expensive when I obtained comparative quotes. With library services, you are usually bound not to redistribute what you obtain from them.

Cheers,
Old 8th Jan 2022, 3:05 am   #3
Terry_VK5TM
Nonode

It's a pity they aren't more readily available, there are bits and pieces of them floating around in various places as pdf's, just not full editions unfortunately.

There was also Mullard Outlook and there is quite a collection of them here https://worldradiohistory.com/Mullard_Outlook_UA.htm
Old 8th Jan 2022, 3:41 am   #4
joebog1
Banned

Technical Communications has been gathered up by somebody or other. I read a few years ago that somebody spat the dummy and prohibited distributing them on the net.
As all of you mentioned they were excellent publications, with stuff presented that actually worked first time every time.

It would be nice to "find" them again.

Joe
Old 8th Jan 2022, 10:39 am   #5
Robert Gribnau
Heptode

Probably already known to many on this forum but almost all the issues of "Philips Technical Review", comparable with "Mullard Technical Communications", can be found here:

https://worldradiohistory.com/Philip...cal_Review.htm

Until about three years ago, this collection could be found on a personal part of the Philips internetsite but it was taken off-line. The copies on the "World Radio History" site originate from the Philips site.

I attached the register that was also on the Philips site back than. The links in the register (ofcourse) don't work anymore but it's still handy for finding specific topics.

Addition: Issues of "Mullard Outlook Australian edition" can be found here: https://worldradiohistory.com/Mullard_Outlook_UA.htm
Attached Files
File Type: xls Index.xls (778.5 KB, 514 views)

Last edited by Robert Gribnau; 8th Jan 2022 at 10:51 am. Reason: Addition
Old 8th Jan 2022, 10:45 am   #6
G6ONEDave
Octode

The British Library at Boston Spa have a lot of technical publications that include various service manuals and magazines. There is a charge for copying but if they have a readers room you might be able to get the copies cheaper by doing them yourself instead of paying a staff member to do it and then post it.

Dave
Old 8th Jan 2022, 10:57 am   #7
joebog1
Banned

Robert from Den Hague, has the link, but I can no longer "bulk" download. :-(

My phono stage is a copy from this publication.

Joe
Old 8th Jan 2022, 3:45 pm   #8
Robert Gribnau
Heptode

In addition to my post #5.

The Philips site also contained "Philips Research Reports 1946-1977" and "Philips Research Reports Supplements 1961-1977" again with registers. I downloaded them all at the time.

As far as I know these are not (all) to be found on the internet at the moment, so I just uploaded them to Google Drive. They can be downloaded here:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...Tu1nhvkkQw9FMR

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...WXwXwOhdtF_TZH

And my apologies to Terry for overlooking that Terry already posted the link to the "Mullard Outlook Australian Edition" before I did it again.

Last edited by Robert Gribnau; 8th Jan 2022 at 3:55 pm.
Old 8th Jan 2022, 9:19 pm   #9
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Robert, an excellent index there, thanks for sharing.
I have a few of these publications from the 50's to the 80's and pached with good information.
There is also a Philips tech library of books, often available in Dutch, English, German and French, which are great summaries of the state of electronics and progress in the years they were published

Texas Instruments also published a wide range of books (from their seminars) as well as lots of app notes. These are particularly worth studying for their development of TTL and other logic families

Ed
Old 8th Jan 2022, 10:02 pm   #10
Duke_Nukem
Octode

I think I have a dozen or so of the Mullard Technical Communications tucked away somewhere. Also a lot of the (UK) Mullard Outlook's, I made a start on scanning them and a few are available via http://www.thevalvepage.com/valvetek...ok/outlook.htm - even just the covers make a pretty picture!

TTFN,
Jon
Old 9th Jan 2022, 9:49 am   #11
Robert Gribnau
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_Dinning View Post
Hi Robert, an excellent index there, thanks for sharing.
I have a few of these publications from the 50's to the 80's and pached with good information.
There is also a Philips tech library of books, often available in Dutch, English, German and French, which are great summaries of the state of electronics and progress in the years they were published

Texas Instruments also published a wide range of books (from their seminars) as well as lots of app notes. These are particularly worth studying for their development of TTL and other logic families

Ed

Your welcome, Ed.

The Philips Series of Books on Electronic Valves can be found on the great site of Frank:

https://frank.pocnet.net/other/Phili...tronTubes.html

I scanned Books IIIb and V, and found three others on the internet and sent them to Frank to be placed on his site.

Some years ago I contacted the Royal Library and many University libraries in The Netherlands to find out if Book VI of this series was ever published. On Dutch forums nobody ever saw Book VI. The fact that in earlier books of this series, Book VI was said to be in preperation, while in later books it was not mentioned at all anymore, was already a strong indication that Book VI was never published. My search brought up nothing. So I'm pretty sure it was never published (but there must have been some manuscripts of it because in Book V there are some detailed references to topics that would be discussed in Book VI).

Books by Mullard (mostly databooks) on Frank's site can be found here:

https://frank.pocnet.net/other/Mullard/index.html

The link to books (again mostly databooks) of many other valve manufacturers:

https://frank.pocnet.net/other/mfgindex.html
Old 9th Jan 2022, 9:56 am   #12
Robert Gribnau
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke_Nukem View Post
I think I have a dozen or so of the Mullard Technical Communications tucked away somewhere. Also a lot of the (UK) Mullard Outlook's, I made a start on scanning them and a few are available via http://www.thevalvepage.com/valvetek...ok/outlook.htm - even just the covers make a pretty picture!

TTFN,
Jon
Thanks for that, Jon. I did find them on your site a while ago. Makes good reading!
Old 9th Jan 2022, 7:42 pm   #13
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Robert, yes the Pocnet site is a great resource, it also has lots of RCA app notes on it

Ed
Old 9th Jan 2022, 10:37 pm   #14
joebog1
Banned

A spinoff, and I have only seen one copy was " Miniwatt Digest ", also full of development circuits and ideas. I would love to get my hands on those as well.

Joe
Old 10th Jan 2022, 4:05 pm   #15
Robert Gribnau
Heptode

https://worldradiohistory.com/Philip...-Digest-AU.htm
Old 10th Jan 2022, 5:08 pm   #16
Dekatron
Octode

I happen to have almost all of these up to number 140 from 1978 except for a few that are still missing, I am only missing the following ones:

Volume 1, number 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Volume 12 number 116, 117, 129
Volume 13 number 124, 125

I bought these on eBay some years back and was promised all should have been there, and some of the missing first ones were actually shown in the eBay photos but "disappeared" before them being shipped to me. I never got an answer for what happened with those that went missing.

I've been able to fill some of the holes over the years for those that disappeared but the one in the list above are still missing. If someone has them and are willing to sell them to me I would be very happy.

I've tried to get in contact with the people behind World Radio History to offer them as a loan to have them all scanned and put on their website but never gotten an answer - if someone knows how to contact them so the could be arraigned I am all ears.

If there is some kind of copyright problem surrounding these I am very much interested in getting some facts on this so I can contact the people owning the copyright and discuss it with them.

And no, I'm sorry but I don't have time to scan articles from these magazines on request - but if someone is willing to pay for these being scanned by a professional company I can loan them to that company for scanning as long as that company is in Sweden where I live. The early ones are quite brittle and have been used a lot by the previous owner/s and easily fall apart if not handled carefully, the paper is not the best and they have probably not been stored well over the years, now they are stored properly with a silica bag to capture any moisture.
Old 10th Jan 2022, 10:47 pm   #17
Terry_VK5TM
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekatron View Post
I've tried to get in contact with the people behind World Radio History to offer them as a loan to have them all scanned and put on their website but never gotten an answer - if someone knows how to contact them so the could be arraigned I am all ears.

Just have to be patient Martin, David and the team are up to their ears in stuff at the moment and it does sometimes take a while for him (David) to respond.
Old 11th Jan 2022, 12:15 am   #18
Dekatron
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry_VK5TM View Post
Just have to be patient Martin, David and the team are up to their ears in stuff at the moment and it does sometimes take a while for him (David) to respond.
Ok, thanks for letting me know!

A response just letting me know that they had recieved my email would have been good though, I had given up on hearing from them. I hope they get in touch so this bunch of magazines can be added to their collection.

Is there any backup of their lot available anywhere else on the Internet like with Frank Philipse’s?
Old 11th Jan 2022, 1:01 am   #19
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekatron View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry_VK5TM View Post
Ok, thanks for letting me know!

A response just letting me know that they had recieved my email would have been good though, I had given up on hearing from them. I hope they get in touch so this bunch of magazines can be added to their collection.

Is there any backup of their lot available anywhere else on the Internet like with Frank Philipse’s?
If it’s a while since I would try again.

There was a problem with one of the links on the website, I emailed Friday 7th 3pm, had a reply 8th at 8am problem resolved. I always had a quick reply from them so it’s possible your email was lost or missed.
Old 11th Jan 2022, 1:56 am   #20
emeritus
Dekatron

Sites based in the USA have fewer problems with copyright because, until US law was changed in the late 1990's, to get US copyright protection, you had to file a copy of your document with the Library of Congress, and many non-US publishers never bothered.
Closed Thread