UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Jan 2022, 12:47 pm   #21
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Default Re: Ballast in halogen lamps (sometimes)

An update: The replacement LED 'R7' bulb was tried in the lamp in question and does work, including the dimming action. No mods of any sort were required to this particular brass-effect lamp which has twin parallel tubular upright supports with the switch / dimmer box mounted between them about half way up.

The LED replacement looks massively oversized compared to the original slim halogen but its contacts are offset and it did fit OK into the holder. It was necessary to remove and set aside the glass shade.

When turned on, the change in overall current being drawn by the house is too small to register on the smart meter scale, whereas before (with the original 400W Halogen) the scale was usually increasing by one whole step whenever the lamp was turned on.

As this lamp turns on automatically at dusk and remains on until bedtime, I feel this has been worth a try.
Old 4th Jan 2022, 10:28 pm   #22
duncanlowe
Nonode

Out of interest, does this lamp also have a low voltage spot lamp on a gooseneck? Sounds just like a lamp we bought some years ago for my parents. In 2019 I bought a replacement R7 LED but all of what has happened since a few days after that means I haven't tried to fit it. I did fail to find a replacement for the LV (12v) halogen that would physically fit, which is why I ask.
Old 5th Jan 2022, 12:33 pm   #23
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

It does, I'll take a photo of it this evening or see if I can find online images of the same model - also try to find a model number on it, likely to be on the back of the dimmer / switch box if anywhere.

I haven't tried to find a LED substitute for the lamp on the end of the gooseneck, which appears to have a halogen 'capsule' bulb fitted in a housing reminiscent of an externally mounted vintage car headlight - basically a round, concave housing with a flat front glass. My Dad rarely uses that bit.

That part of the lamp is switched only, not dimmable. The dimmer only controls the feed to the top 'Wok' style uplighter.
Old 5th Jan 2022, 10:13 pm   #24
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Sorry no opportunity to take a photo but I did scribble the make and model of our lamp and I found the manufacturer's online catalogue with it in.

Brand: Massive
Model 79097/22/06 (This is on a label on top, in the 'Wok'). The '06' part of that number defines the colour (brass, in this case).

It's still in their 2017 catalogue here on PDF page 48 of 188, the 'Medi' model, centre and right on the page.

https://www.massive.eu/b-dam/b2c/en_...ection2017.pdf

Note the spotlight on the Gooseneck appears to be a 240V G9 capsule halogen on this model, so if you are sure the one on yours is low voltage then it is probably not the same model.
Old 6th Jan 2022, 10:48 am   #25
duncanlowe
Nonode

Your lamp looks identical, but as you say can't be given it is a 12v GY6,35.

I think we bought it late nineties.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1447.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	249104  
Old 6th Jan 2022, 1:57 pm   #26
Brigham
Octode

The saving from changing a single, little-used halogen bulb to LED will hardly justify the effort, I suspect.
Closed Thread