UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Jan 2022, 10:04 pm   #21
Synchrodyne
Nonode

Default Re: Creating a vintage radio collection from scratch

This may be one of those cases where if you ask a dozen people, you’ll get at least 13 different answers, and if you ask the same dozen again next week, you might get another different set of answers…

Be that as it may, my selection, with rationale in each case, follows. It is confined to a few specific, perhaps somewhat outlying technical points on the post-WWII valve era, British-made domestic receiver map:

1. One of the bandspread export receivers, e.g. from Ambassador, Bush, Ekco, GEC, Murphy, Pye, etc. This would illustrate the kind of receiver used by ex-pats who used shortwave to listen to the programme content, and not just for DX’ing. This contrasts with the fact that from the 1970s, perhaps starting earlier, shortwave-oriented receivers leaned more to DX’ing needs. Which of the receivers on this list is chosen does not really matter. I’d favour the Ekco A182 or the Murphy TA160, as they deviated from standard circuitry in interesting ways, whereas say the Pye PE80 was ‘straight down the middle”. A working exhibit, playing a recording of say the BBC World Service Newsreel programme from the era (including “Imperial Echoes march) via an AM mini-transmitter with a fading device interposed, come s to mind. Said BBC programme would also demonstrate the 120 word-per-minute, rounded-vowel approach to provide maximum intelligibility for audiences for whom English was a second language.

2. Already mentioned, I think, the Pye FenMan II, as an example of “going for broke” at the start of the UK FM era.

3. An example from the last of the console receivers, representing the end-of-the-line for this type. Any of those available in the later 1950s would work, but the Ekco C273 commends itself as an example of what was achieved by subtle improvements the standard circuitry rather than by significant elaboration.

4. A Murphy A186 or A188C, which with its variable bandwidth (towards 10 kHz in wide mode), is illustrative of a late effort to get the most from AM broadcasts. By then most of the setmakers had given up, settling for very limited AM bandwidth.

5. Representing the tail end of the valve era in the early 1960s, a Hacker Mayflower, either version. This receiver was also notable for its basic simplicity, being intended for those who wanted to listen to the programme content. (One could imagine a working exhibit playing (via an FM mini-transmitter) a recording of a Last Night of the Proms from the early 1960s.)

6. To represent the luxury end of the integrated radio receiver market, where the set was also a piece of quality furniture, a Dynatron console. Any variant of the post-WWII Merlin series would work, or the Ether Minstrel. Possibly the best choice would be the final version of the Merlin (T139/LF613) with the optional FM1 FM unit.

7. An FM adaptor unit, to illustrate one approach – evidently not all that successful – of accessing the new FM broadcasts via an existing AM-only receiver. The Ferguson FMA/1 is probably the best known, and as a standalone unit, probably quite easy to display. Whether there were similar standalone units from other makers I don’t know.

And a couple more that I think are much harder to justify as museum exhibits, but nonetheless are interesting:

The HMV 1250, representing a “false start” in British FM receivers, appearing just before it was decided (mostly at the behest of BREMA) that the VHF FM vs. AM issue needed a third investigation (perhaps on the basis that if you repeat often enough, eventually you’ll get the result you want).

The Eddystone 940, not a true domestic receiver, but where you might have gone in the 1960s if you were looking for a shortwave receiver whose general performance matched that of the 1950s export bandspread receivers, by then long since departed.

Cheers,
Old 19th Jan 2022, 11:11 pm   #22
turretslug
Dekatron

"One of the bandspread export receivers, e.g. from Ambassador, Bush, Ekco, GEC, Murphy, Pye, etc. This would illustrate the kind of receiver used by ex-pats who used shortwave to listen to the programme content, and not just for DX’ing. This contrasts with the fact that from the 1970s, perhaps starting earlier, shortwave-oriented receivers leaned more to DX’ing needs. Which of the receivers on this list is chosen does not really matter. I’d favour the Ekco A182 or the Murphy TA160, as they deviated from standard circuitry in interesting ways, whereas say the Pye PE80 was ‘straight down the middle”. A working exhibit, playing a recording of say the BBC World Service Newsreel programme from the era (including “Imperial Echoes march) via an AM mini-transmitter with a fading device interposed, come s to mind. Said BBC programme would also demonstrate the 120 word-per-minute, rounded-vowel approach to provide maximum intelligibility for audiences for whom English was a second language."

Definitely- IMHO something of a significant cultural/historical marker-post reflecting the sunset of Empire, subsequent domestic sets increasingly concentrating on the new-fangled VHF/FM with SW coverage (if present at all) generally being "nominal" and AM circuit capability becoming simplified and sidelined. (I think of the former as very much being "Rimlock era").

A representation of the cheap'n'cheerful imported US miniatures, complete with "curtain burner" and, by contrast, an HMV 655 and mention of its and a few other contemporary sets capability of receiving the 41.5MHz AP sound carrier.

A "typical" (not too bad, not too good!) post-war R1155 as modified for domestic mains/loudspeaker output etc. use, representing what happened to the flood of war surplus in many cases.
Old 20th Jan 2022, 1:29 am   #23
hamid_1
Heptode

I'm glad to hear of someone else with an interest in preserving some of the run-of-the-mill or "rubbish" radios. Once the transistor era arrived, radios became smaller and cheaper, particularly due to mass-production in the Far East. Huge quantities were sold, but since most of these have little monetary value they were considered not worth keeping and were quickly thrown away without any thought of future preservation. Yet almost every home would have had one. I'm talking mainly about the cheap portable or pocket radios from the 1970s to pretty much the present day, usually made in Hong Kong, Korea or China. You've got to include a few of those. Quality varied from quite good to awful, but that's part of the fun. I would also include a novelty radio or two, like the Elftone Panda or the Coke can radio.

My own collection spans from the 1940s to pretty much the present day. Some examples from my collection :

1940s: Wartime Civilian Receiver, Philips 170A

1950s: Bush DAC90A, Murphy 192, Philips 341A, Grundig 3028 GB, KB FB10FM 'toaster', Ekco A244 with clock, Ever Ready Sky Queen, Vidor Lady Anne, Pye jewel case battery-operated valve portable.

1960s: Bush VHF80, Telefunken Concertino 2194, Hacker Mayflower II, Hacker RP17 Mini-Herald, Fidelity Comet transistor

1970s: ITT Weekend 350, Hitachi and Bush mains/battery portables, Elftone Crossworld, Elftone Meridian pocket radios, Citizen portable radio and 8-track cartridge tape player.

From the 1980s on, radios are often combined with other devices like cassette or CD players, even a telephone or a mini TV. I have some 'serious' standalone radios like the 1982 Sony ICF-2001 (first domestic PLL receiver allowing direct frequency entry) and its successor the ICF-7600. The collection continues with portable CD/cassette radios, home hi-fi systems with radio and standalone DAB radios (Pure Tempus-1 and Pure The Bug DAB, Roberts and Blaupunkt DAB+).

I also have quite a number of clock radios of different technologies: Binatone Digivox (flip clock), Prinzsound DC10 (roll-over clock), Sony Digicube (vacuum fluorescent display, LED and LCD versions). You should definitely include a bedside clock radio, as there were literally millions of them. You ought to include a car radio as well, as this is where a lot of radio listening takes place.
Old 20th Jan 2022, 3:23 am   #24
markfff
Tetrode

I don't know if they made it over to the UK, or if you have something similar, but the Zenith 500 or 600 series transoceanics should make an interesting museum piece. They're an AC and battery powered valve portable that folds up to the size and shape of a small suitcase -with a handle.

https://antiqueradio.org/zen18.htm
https://antiqueradio.org/zen22.htm

Last edited by markfff; 20th Jan 2022 at 3:37 am.
Old 20th Jan 2022, 10:38 am   #25
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Some more suggestions:

Roberts RIC-1, because it shows the progress towards using dedicated ICs to perform the majority of the stages in a radio.

Something from the 60s with the "Luxembourg" MW-bandspread-facility - to illustrate the interest in broadcasts other-than-the-BBC.

One of the Roberts radios with preset tuning and Braille control-markings - I forget the model-number - made for the "Wireless for the Blind" peiople.

One of the Baylis wind-up 'freeplay' radios.

A Bush TR130, illustrating how relatively mundane radios can be made impressive [and sell extremely well!] through the attentions of a proper industrial designer (Tom Karen).
Old 20th Jan 2022, 10:41 am   #26
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by markfff View Post
I don't know if they made it over to the UK, or if you have something similar...
I don't think very many were sold here, price will have been a big deterrent, but there was some distribution, more so for the early transistor Transoceanics. I seem to recall the first of those retailed at around £180 when £500 was a plausible annual wage.

Probably the closest UK set to the valve models was Pye's PE94MBQ,

https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/pye_pe94mbqpe_94_mb.html ,

but it's quite ungainly and has no cover for protection in transit. The closest thing to a transistorised British Transoceanic hardly even entered production -

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/....php?p=1403581

SW listening was most likely never as popular here as in the US, and those of us who indulged mostly did so with purpose-designed desktop receivers, from the 'H.A.C' one- and two-valve kits through manufacturers like Codar and Eddystone, or with vintage sets such as the AR88 and Hallicrafters Skyriders. The transistor era eventually brought Japanese portables some of which were of extreme complexity and of size and weight well beyond even the valved Transoceanics, but the numbers of those sold here were tiny.

It's debatable whether any of the sets I've mentioned here should join the museum collection - perhaps the Pye to point up a direction in which the UK industry didn't generally go, or a Transoceanic, Grundig Satellit or Japanese monster portable to show what was available to the relatively few deep-pocketed folk who were sufficiently interested to find it. A "Russian miracle" multi-band transistor portable would be possible too, those sold well here at bargain prices mostly through press advertisement and mail order. A display of flagship "world band" portables from across the globe, say from 1940 to 1990 or later, would be various and fascinating, but probably well outside the present remit.

Paul

Last edited by Paul_RK; 20th Jan 2022 at 10:49 am.
Old 20th Jan 2022, 1:33 pm   #27
Lucien Nunes
Rest in Peace

There's quite a fascinating obsession with outliers showing through this thread. The first page of 20 replies to 'what radios should be in a representative collection' didn't once mention HMV, Cossor, Bush, Philips, Ultra, GEC and many other popular makes. Marconi squeaked through at post #20 with a battery portable. GEC and HMV have now been introduced but only in respect of unusual models.

But some good insights into what makes a radio 'interesting' have emerged.
Old 20th Jan 2022, 2:01 pm   #28
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien Nunes View Post
There's quite a fascinating obsession with outliers showing through this thread...
I wouldn't say there's evidence of obsession - you'll want some standard 1930s sets from most or all of the popular manufacturers, but it doesn't hugely matter which manufacturers or which models, so there's nothing very obvious for any of us to point at. Most early '30s radios would illustrate the fretwork 'speaker grilles popular at the time, just about any later '30s set would show how their popularity vanished. It might be worth bringing out the market variations in cabinet finish - deep high gloss finishes typical for HMV/Marconi and McMichael, nothing nearly so lavish from Cossor, Alba or Ultra - or the designer influence on Murphy. Likewise the rapid evolution of tuning scales in the '30s, from a tiny window that might only be calibrated 0-100, then wavelength markings, and stations on the dial, the popularity of the "airplane" dial from around 1934 and the large polychromatic scales from a little later. Tuning aids, too, perhaps the "fluid light", certainly the "magic eye": but any from a vast range of models could illustrate these features and developments.

Paul

Last edited by Paul_RK; 20th Jan 2022 at 2:11 pm.
Old 20th Jan 2022, 2:32 pm   #29
Paul_RK
Dekatron

A few well-chosen sets from a specific time could intrigue visitors with the range of designs that were offered. Take 1931, which within a little was where the popularity of all-in-one mains-powered table models began: the Ultra Tiger III (I really don't know why RM.org calls it a midget receiver), Murphy A3 and Philips 930A exemplify three different approaches, each on offer at the time at prices which wouldn't have been wildly dissimilar.

https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/ultra_...ee_midget.html
https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/murphy_a_3_a3.html
https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/philips_930a_930_a.html#
Old 20th Jan 2022, 2:46 pm   #30
Valvepower
Octode

Hello,

I can’t add much more really, however I’d include a 1960 portable radio with the pirate stations like Caroline and Radio London etc., on the dial. I know I’m biased, but this links to the social history of the 1960’s and being the precursor to Radio 1, 2 etc. and Local radio.

Bush, RGD, B&O, Ekco and Sobell made transistor potables with pirate station markings.

These radios ‘freed’ the youngsters from the shackles of the ‘household’ radio(s) as they could listen to what they wanted.

For me this is a link between radio and the emerging 1960’s teenage beat boom and the bands of the time. Reading the Mo Foster book, which I make refence to in the recent BVWS articles, he mentions how the family radio help shape musical instrument amplification – Yikes, veering way, way off topic here.

Of late I’ve tinned out my 1930-60 ‘woodie’ radios in favour of portable radios, including transistor and early ‘Dxxx B7A’ valve types, from the 1950’s to the early 1970’s, although I did recently buy an early 1980’s B&O BEOSYSTEM 10 at the RWB auction.

Just my two penn'orth.

Terry
Old 20th Jan 2022, 11:01 pm   #31
PJL
Dekatron

What and who is the museum for? Is it to preserve technology or to interest the general public? Rows of near identical radios are unlikely to inspire the general public.

I would have thought a timeline of radio technology development from crystal to integrated circuits using the popular mid-range types together with splatterings of the exceptional/unusual such as round Ekco, RGD, Dulci Crystal set, Eddystone, 1960's Electronic educational kits.
Old 20th Jan 2022, 11:45 pm   #32
Lucien Nunes
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Is it to preserve technology or to interest the general public?
Both. Like most museums, its fundamental aim is to conserve; to stop time and carry a slice of that stopped time forward eternally. Then, using that as a resource, to inform and enlighten scholars, historians, the public, anyone who wants to step into the time-slice and discover what it was like to be there.

Don't worry about what will interest people. I can keep anyone interested all afternoon with a record player, three hairdryers, a part-dismantled DAC90 and a Teasmade. We have the ability to turn a line of near-identical radios into something quite spellbinding, that is our speciality.

There is even scope for an exhibit with six or more of the same model:
One restored and working for you to try.
One pristine conserved example in a period setting.
Two original, unrestored chassis out of their cases, one upside down, with all key components labelled.
One completely dismantled into smallest piece parts neatly laid out, with assembly drawings.
One skeletonised with the functional parts connected up in mid-air, controls accessible from outside the perspex box, with scopes attached showing the IF, the AF, a meter showing the AVC voltage, etc.

And other exhibits along similar lines.

Let's look at a more constrained situation. It's 2050 and you are the curator of an exhibit called 'The Golden Age of Radio' at a museum of technology. You have been given space for twenty sets and their interpretation. Every model of radio ever made exists in multiple in the warehouse. You give the curatorial intern a list of specific radios to fetch; what's on your list?
Old 21st Jan 2022, 12:47 pm   #33
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien Nunes View Post
It's 2050 and you are the curator of an exhibit called 'The Golden Age of Radio' at a museum of technology. You have been given space for twenty sets and their interpretation. Every model of radio ever made exists in multiple in the warehouse. You give the curatorial intern a list of specific radios to fetch; what's on your list?
I'd hope to discuss the exact remit with a colleague or two, but if none were available (I'm sure there are colleagues enough here to improve on my suggestions) I'd go with something like:

1. Marconi V2, 1922, pioneering two valve domestic radio.
2. BTH Type C Form A, 1923 twin crystal set.
3. Rolls Phantom Five, 1928 five valve portable in hide suitcase, among the most luxurious of its kind.
4. Osram Music Magnet, 1928 kit set and typical of ordinary listeners' options at the time.
5. Ultra Panther IV, 1931 mains TRF in a decorative furniture style.
6. Bush SAC25, 1934 mains superhet, sturdy, plain, still just MW/LW, triode output.
7. Pilot U535, 1936, L/M/S with prominent airplane dial.
8. Murphy A40C, 1937, large console, double conversion on SW and superb audio performance.
9. RGD 1155, 1938, another large console but entirely different in style and with motor-driven tuning and wavechange. (Maybe the 1295 radiogram instead if available).
10. Wartime Civilian Receiver.
11. Ekco A22, 1945.
12. Zenith Transoceanic 8G005Y, 1947, a state of the art multiband portable.
13. Marconi P20B, 1948, typical of post-war "personal" portables benefiting from B7G valves.
14. Ever Ready Sky Queen, 1954, a very popular set, and bulky despite the B7G valves.
15. Pye FenMan II, 1955, exploiting the audio potential of then-new FM broadcasting.
16. Pam 710, 1956.
17. Hacker RP18 Sovereign, 1964 and the company's first portable to offer FM.
18. A Standard Micronic Ruby, perhaps the SR-H437 from 1965, representing available miniaturization.
19. Bush TR130, 1965, representative of the last generation of mainstream UK-made transistor sets.
20. Panasonc RF-9000, 1982, arguably the ultimate development of the domestic world-band "luggable", uncompromising in complexity, weight and price.

That's an attempted balance between on the one hand presenting what manner of radios people generally were using at any given time, and on the other the outlying models representing what manufacturers could produce and what was available to the affluent few. I've tried to suggest the course of evolution, but with numerous different currents the flow is inevitably jerky: feel free to ridicule any or all of my choices

Paul
Old 21st Jan 2022, 7:21 pm   #34
Mr 1936
Heptode

Hi

Rather that submit my own list, I think I'll just second Paul R K's suggestions above, which strike a good balance. There is always a tendency to favour things which were expensive in their day (and looked after, so survive) to the detriment of the cheaper commonplace items that most people actually had. If I can touch on the parallel world of classic cars for a moment, I like the British Motor Museum because it manages plenty of "mum and dad" models as well as the sporty exotica.

When I explain my small radio collection to visitors, I start them on a timeline beginning with the experimenter/hobbyist era of the 1920's, when everything looked like a lab experiment. Kids are fascinated with needing headphones.

We then look at the 1930's, when cabinets had to match the decor and meet approval from the rest of the household.

After the hiccup of wartime, a brief flowering of multiband shortwaves and then the slow decline to second set status as telly became king, arrested somewhat by the birth of FM

And finally, real portability and sensible battery life offered by transistors and prices low enough for the younger generation.

The ability to actually tune a radio, hear the station appear and the distortion reduce, would be a novel and exciting hands-on experience. However, I might suggest something with a core that is purpose made, with robust knobs that can be continuously rotated to avoid mechanical accidents from the uninitiated !
Old 21st Jan 2022, 7:35 pm   #35

A Perdio transistor set, one of the cheapest available in the 60's. I have one and it is my favorite. A bit cheap, well made and still works, the detector diode has been replaced in the (distant) past. The time when it was worth repairing stuff, even at the low end. I bet the OC series transistors in it would make a fortune for fuzz pedals, no it is staying as is, a radio. I have just tried it, working well.

Old 21st Jan 2022, 9:58 pm   #36
Lucien Nunes
Rest in Peace

Quote:
I'd go with something like:....
Aha, an actual list! Well done Paul, I will study that later and perhaps do a bit of photoshoppage to construct a virtual exhibit out of pictures of those sets.
Old 21st Jan 2022, 10:19 pm   #37
Red to black
Nonode

I too would like to see some Binatone and some Amstrad gear included, not because we liked them! but because they were what a lot of people had at that time and were totally representative of the 80's, they might not be valuable but are part of history.
Old 21st Jan 2022, 10:53 pm   #38
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red to black View Post
I too would like to see some Binatone and some Amstrad gear included...
Yes, there's definitely a case to be made for something from one of the generic Hong Kong manufacturers. I think the 'Golden Age of Radio' remit scotched any thought I might have had of making room for such a set, plastic-cased '80s jobbies don't quite seem to me to have a place under that title, though I look back fondly enough to a little Shira Ten in '67 or '68 and a Binatone Playboy shortly after.

I'm not so sure where Amstrad would fit in, I remember them offering a multi-band portable which wasn't especially popular or good, but outside of that I only recall the entry-level unit audio gear and of course the "entertainment centres" or whatever they called them. Maybe I just preferred to end the story on a high note...

Paul
Old 22nd Jan 2022, 8:40 am   #39
MurphyNut
Heptode

What a fantastic project! And a considerable undertaking considering the massive range of sets to choose from that were available over the decade's.
If you can find a copy of Radio Radio by Jonathan Hill I'm sure would be very helpful in getting an idea of the styles of sets as they evolved up to the 1950's.
I hope you keep us updated with how it goes.
Old 22nd Jan 2022, 2:05 pm   #40
TowerRadio
Hexode

Anyone mentioned Clarke and Smith school radios? Les
Closed Thread