UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Dec 2022, 8:35 am   #1
Corf001
Diode

Default English Electric refrigerator question

I have a wooden boat built in 1953 which has an English Electric refrigerator on board. I need to make some alterations and want to cut into the rear wall of the fridge. Can anyone tell me if asbestos was ever used as insulation for English Electric fridges?
Old 8th Dec 2022, 5:53 pm   #2
Techman
Dekatron

Default Re: English Electric refrigerator question

I don't think that's a question that anyone can really give a definitive answer to, but in the case of it being a fridge, then probably not. However, you should always be ready to encounter asbestos in anything that's 'vintage', ie, cookers, heaters, lamps, radios, record players, tape recorders - the list goes on and on.
Old 9th Dec 2022, 3:52 pm   #3
G6ONEDave
Octode

If it's an absorbsion type fridge then there will be asbestos around the heating element. If it's a compressor type fridge then unlikely but at the end of the day it might just be mixed in with the insulation.

As Techman says you should be ready to encounter asbestos, as it's been used in a lot of consumer devices. It has also been used in a lot of building materials, such as plasterboard and concrete.

If in any doubt always protect yourself with at least the basic PPE, such as facemask, disposable gloves and ideally a disposable coverall. Whatever you do don't breathe in any of the dust. If it is asbestos then dispose of the PPE in double bags and take it to your local approved disposal site (often the local council). The double bagging also applies to any material that is suspected to be asbestos.

Please also bear in mind that my comments are for awareness only and are not the be all and end all of asbestos technicalities. Safe disposal of asbestos is best left to the proffessionals.

Dave
Old 9th Dec 2022, 8:40 pm   #4
The Philpott
Dekatron

....Also do some research on what refrigerant was used...in case you should be unlucky enough to damage pipework. (If a leak occurs the procedure is to leave the area in haste, regardless of the type of refrigerant.)
Dave
Closed Thread