UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Old 15th Apr 2024, 10:30 pm   #221
kalee20
Dekatron

Default Re: UK Medium Wave and Long Wave Transmitter Closures.

Just listening to the news at 10pm this evening (with my Ever Ready Model K portable, which works well on LW), and switching on a few minutes early, just before 10pm, the station was announced, "This is BBC Radio 4 on 92-95FM and BBC Smart Speaker."

No mention of 198kHz long wave even though that's how I was listening... I'm sure it was included even last week!

Is this the start of pretending the LW transmission doesn't exist?
kalee20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Apr 2024, 2:12 pm   #222
m0cemdave
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalee20 View Post
Very likely. I think it's what's known as a "nudge".
m0cemdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Apr 2024, 3:14 pm   #223
Beobloke
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalee20 View Post
Just listening to the news at 10pm this evening (with my Ever Ready Model K portable, which works well on LW), and switching on a few minutes early, just before 10pm, the station was announced, "This is BBC Radio 4 on 92-95FM and BBC Smart Speaker."

No mention of 198kHz long wave even though that's how I was listening... I'm sure it was included even last week!

If it’s any consolation, the similar announcements on Radio 2 only mention listening through the BBC Sounds app and a Smart Speaker. They’ve written off FM as well!
Beobloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Apr 2024, 3:43 pm   #224
Ian - G4JQT
Octode

R4 relays on 720 and 756 kHz now on loop to re-tune.
Ian - G4JQT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Apr 2024, 12:02 pm   #225
Rich Woods
Hexode

When 4LW goes there will be whole swathes of mountainous areas of the UK will have no way of receiving Radio 4 on the move at all, particularly in parts of Wales & Scotland where there is no DAB, DAB+, FM or 3, 4 or 5G. I’m torn on this, I never listen or watch the BBC anymore but I morn the loss of the option rather like I did when 405 went. On the other hand if the BBC have decided that the people effected are uneconomic to cater for, then if they decide to use other sources at home for their news and comment then they really only have themselves to blame I guess. What a shame the UK didn’t embrace Satellite radio for car use.

Last edited by Rich Woods; 20th Apr 2024 at 12:07 pm. Reason: Add info
Rich Woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Apr 2024, 12:11 pm   #226
colourking
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Woods View Post
When 4LW goes there will be whole swathes of mountainous areas of the UK will have no way of receiving Radio 4 on the move at all, particularly in parts of Wales & Scotland..
Unfortunately car manufacturers have been removing LW coverage since the late 1990s and in the past number of years became more and more a rarity to see new cars with LW.

I recall being surprised at seeing a new VW car (Golf) in the very late 1990s having no LW (its AM band was MW only, not LW/MW combined) - despite there still being a not insignificant listenership still to Atlantic 252, as well as other stations.

And the trend of removing LW with other car manufacturers continued..

So parked up in some remote area with no FM/DAB, or travelling in nearby countries, LW is of no use if the vehicle radio does not have it. and making it a lot easier for broadcasters to close transmitters if they so desire.
colourking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Apr 2024, 12:16 pm   #227
Rich Woods
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by colourking View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Woods View Post
When 4LW goes there will be whole swathes of mountainous areas of the UK will have no way of receiving Radio 4 on the move at all, particularly in parts of Wales & Scotland..
Unfortunately car manufacturers have been removing LW coverage since the late 1990s and in the past number of years became more and more a rarity to see new cars with LW.

I recall being surprised at seeing a new VW car (Golf) in the very late 1990s having no LW (its AM band was MW only, not LW/MW combined) - despite there still being a not insignificant listenership still to Atlantic 252, as well as other stations.

And the trend of removing LW with other car manufacturers continued..

So parked up in a remote area, or travelling in nearby countries, LW is of no use if the vehicle radio does not have it. and making it a lot easier for broadcasters to close transmitters if they so desire.
True enough but there’s still a lot of cars out there with LW radios fitted.
Old 20th Apr 2024, 12:19 pm   #228
Rich Woods
Hexode

The other issue of course is lack of Broadband coverage in remote areas which effects the ability to listen on line at home when FM & DAB are not an option