UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Nov 2019, 7:34 pm   #1
ABINGDON12
Diode

Smile JVC videosphere... Help needed.

I am new to this forum and thank you for letting me join. I run the 'ABINGDON COLLECTION' near Omagh in Northern Ireland, a small museum which raises money by donation for Cancer Research UK. The collection concentrates on vintage items from the 1940's through to the 1970's. While we have a few vintage radios and TV's on display we have just bought an iconic JVC VIDEOSHERE in white. We bought it knowing that it was obviously analogue but it does work and we would love to run either videos or DVDs through it beside the Ford Capri, Choppers and other hot seventies items.
Any advice would be appreciated as we really do not want just a static display.
Please be aware that we are not electronic experts but would like some advice before we hand it over to a local Television repair shop.
Hopefully we can get this working as a teaching aid for children.
Thanks,
Philip.
www.theabingdoncollection.com.
Old 29th Nov 2019, 8:23 pm   #2
19Seventy7
Octode

Default Re: JVC videosphere... Help needed.

Hi

You can buy modulators online for relatively cheap, which will convert a digital input to an analogue one which will allow you to display pictures on any 625 line UHF set.

You can also use a VCR, even if it isnt working mechanically.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Technomate-...mare+mo&sr=8-4

Hope that helps

Old 29th Nov 2019, 8:26 pm   #3
toshiba tony
Heptode

Excellent find, few freeview boxes supply an RF output but as has been said some VCR's do. As do earlier Sky receivers. These tv's were fairly trouble free.
Old 29th Nov 2019, 8:59 pm   #4
ABINGDON12
Diode

Thanks for the feedback. I will try the VCR option first and hope it works..... all we want is continuous play of 1970's series..... Star Trek, early Dr Who, the Professionals etc.
I will try to post a photo when it is up and running an in situ... Thanks again.
Philip.
Old 29th Nov 2019, 9:07 pm   #5
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.
Default Re: Jvc videosphere.... Help needed.

Hi Philip. TV Repair Shops are a very rare item here on the mainland but there will be plenty of advice for you from the TV experts [I see that's arrived already]. You have the set working but it may be best not to rely on that too much until it's been checked over. If it's found to be working ok, you should be able to get a picture into the TV using an RF signal from a Video Cassette Recorder [into the TV aerial socket]. That's how the analogue system worked. A video Cassette Recorder could be utilised to display a VHS Cassette recording, perhaps from the same period. The TV Tuner within the VCR cannot be used as there are no analogue signals anymore!

If you wanted to display modern digital channels a Digital Box can be plugged into the VCR [using it as a link to the aerial socket in the same way]. If you happen to have a VCR available that might, perhaps, be the best option to show past and present material. It is possible to get a Digi Box with a dedicated RF output [as mentioned already] but that may be more limiting in your case. Others will have other suggestions!

The key point to note is that these older sets did NOT have scart sockets so the VCR [which does] acts as a converter between equipment that has a Scart output ie a Freeview Box or DVD Player and the aerial input to your TV.

Dave

Last edited by dave walsh; 29th Nov 2019 at 9:18 pm.
Old 29th Nov 2019, 11:24 pm   #6
ABINGDON12
Diode

Thanks again... now all I need to check if any of the VCRs are working in the attic.
Philip.
Old 29th Nov 2019, 11:38 pm   #7
Maarten
Dekatron

Did you buy it in the UK? If not, it could have trouble receiving the sound.
Old 30th Nov 2019, 1:00 am   #8
AC/HL
Dekatron

Default Re: Jvc videosphere.... Help needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave walsh View Post
It is possible to get a Digi Box with a dedicated RF output [as mentioned already] but that may be more limiting in your case. Others will have other suggestions!
Analogue outputs are a dying breed, HDMI is replacing them so check before buying anything new.
Old 3rd Dec 2019, 9:46 am   #9
mark pirate
Dekatron

The simplest solution is to get a modulator, this will convert any signal such as from a DVD player to the TV aerial input.
This unit Would be ideal for your needs: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Simply-Di...YAAOSwOgdYrt6B

Mark
Old 3rd Dec 2019, 9:10 pm   #10
ABINGDON12
Diode

Could I thank you for all the responses given to me as a non technical person. I cut back the cable from the RF output tonight and gingerly put the two exposed ends into the UHF socket on the back of the JVC videosphere and ran it from an old Ferguson Videostar VHS player that I had languishing in the loft for twenty years.. Started both up and the picture and sound quality are excellent.... So from being a nice decoration in the collection the JVC unit can now be used as an educational tool for young and old. Vintage technology still looks good and the moral of the story is 'do not throw anything out'.
Thanks to all who helped with advice.... my wife now thinks that I am an electronics wizard as it was going to be difficult explaining why I bought a forty year old TV to act as an ornament..... Just about to watch the Sweeney in black and white of course. It should be on display on the Abingdon Collection website next week.
Thanks,
Philip.
Closed Thread