UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Dec 2021, 1:54 pm   #1
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Default HMV Set Top Logo Decals (again)

This topic has cropped up in several forum threads, for example, this one:

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=157807

There will have been many and varied genuine 'Nipper' logos down the years, and various reproduction logos, some of which seem to lack authenticity. The most realistic one that I've come across is featured at pic 1 below, which has two lines of text above and below the framed picture of 'Nipper', but it doesn't lend itself to creating 'DIY' waterslide decals (Transfers). The picture in the frame would re-produce very well on white ink jet/laser decal paper, but not the lettering as any white areas around and within the text will show up white. (If printed on clear paper and applied to a cabinet the white areas of 'Nipper' wouldn't reproduce and in any event, it would be 'wishy washy and quite hopeless).

In discussion recently with a chum, my attention was drawn to a rather tatty plastic cased HMV radio on eBay, on which the indistinct set-top logo appeared to have the text and picture all in the one logo with a border around it. That showed at least that there was a later HMV logo which did have all the text and picture in one decal.

As I was stuck indoors due to snow, I've spent the morning furtling around on the computer and I've tidied up an image that I already had on a brown background which incorporates the text. I've added a thin border around it, cloned from the gold colour of the text. I've attached a single image and four together, which would allow eight to be printed on one sheet of waterslide decal paper if the paper is inserted into the printer and printed from both ends.

Incidentally, in the earlier thread, the topic of whether or not the 'quote' marks were the right way around was discussed. IE: Should quote marks be 66 ...... 99, or 99 ....... 66? They should be 66 ..... 99. I've attached an example of text (in Aerial Rounded Bold font) printed in WORD' which confirms that. Hence, in pic 1 below the quote marks are incorrect, but in the second pic they're correct. (Maybe HMV got them wrong from the outset?)

The conundrum when restoring any radio, whatever the model, is that what tends to matter most is the cosmetic appearance, sometimes to such an extent that even on quite collectable and expensive radios, the electronics are neglected and all the emphasis is on the cosmetic appearance. Even on quite commonplace radios of little note or value, originality of knobs, badges etc, is often at the forefront. With woodies, usually if the cabinet is in poor shape, so tends to be the logo, and the appearance of a nicely restored woodie isn't enhanced by trying to leave a tatty logo in place for 'originality', so as often as not, it's reluctantly removed and the quest for a replacement draws a blank.

Even if professional logos (of any make or model), as they are for continental and American radios, but not as far as I know for British ones, for a cheap radio the cost is likely to be prohibitive, so it comes down to making your own or going without. (The only HMV logos I've seen are expensive, and to my eyes lack authenticity, even if they're still available). Hence, it comes down to 'rolling your own'.

I'm not offering to make any of these decals, but I hope that the artwork might be useful to others who might wish to create there own.

There are many forum threads on how to print and apply waterslide decals which should help.

I hope this might be of interest and help to someone.

Pic 1: HMV Logo with separate lines of text (quote marks are wrong!).
Pic 2: A single image with the text and nipper included that I've created, with a 'gold' border added.
Pic 3: Four images for printing onto white ink jet/laser waterslide decal paper.
Pic 4: Shows correct orientation of quote marks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HMV Logo small.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	247109   Click image for larger version

Name:	HMV Logo with Border single image.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	133.3 KB
ID:	247112   Click image for larger version

Name:	HMV logo with border 4 off.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	247113   Click image for larger version

Name:	Quote Mark orientation.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	247114  
Old 2nd Dec 2021, 3:12 pm   #2
Vintage Engr
Heptode

Default Re: HMV Set Top Logo Decals (again)

That's excellent David,
That artwork is great. At some point I will have a go at making some transfers, as I have several elderly HMV's that could do with a 'refresh. Not something I've tried before, but definitely worth a shot at.

David.
Closed Thread