UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Websites

Notices

Websites Found an interesting website? Post the details here and share it with the rest of us. Please stick to websites that are in some way related to our hobby/interest.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Oct 2021, 9:02 am   #21
HECTOR63
Banned

Default Re: Beginners guide to valves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Station X View Post
Good explanation of how valves work here:-

https://www.vintage-radio.com/repair...lves-work.html

I think I must have been one of the last students to have been taught valve theory before it was dropped from syllabuses. It was taught alongside transistor theory.

I still have my old text books more than 50 years later.
Many many thanks Graham-that's a really great link and spending some time out to read up on the information very helpful indeed
Old 26th Oct 2021, 9:32 am   #22
HECTOR63
Banned

Many thanks to all so far for the advices and opinions on what seems to be a bit of a learning curve. Hopefully i haven't given the impression of a 'Bubble Gum' take on my first look at this subject, but taken great notice of what to post on the subject and read into carefully as it seems to be one of something and something of another kind of thing! Anyway I am extremely grate full for the opinions and guidance as this is a new area we are looking at with Valve based amplifiers and hybrids in the medium premium to high end market repairs currently headed our way involving Home Hifi.
Old 26th Oct 2021, 11:50 am   #23
TonyDuell
Dekatron

I found 'Basic Electronics', the 6 orange books in the 'Common Core' series to be a reasonable introduction to valves. Mind you I was about 6 years old when I frst read them.
Old 26th Oct 2021, 12:54 pm   #24
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDuell View Post
I found 'Basic Electronics', the 6 orange books in the 'Common Core' series to be a reasonable introduction to valves. Mind you I was about 6 years old when I frst read them.
They're the ones I mentioned too - though they were very informative to me at 25!
Old 26th Oct 2021, 1:41 pm   #25
TonyDuell
Dekatron

And when you have read and understood those, I would probably go on to 'Foundations of Wireless' by Scroggie. After then you can try more mathematical books (Terman, Langford-Smith) if you want to.
Old 26th Oct 2021, 1:56 pm   #26
Sideband
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickie_dickie View Post
"Electrons work like a magnet - a positively charged electron is attracted to a negatively charged electron and vice versa. After being released from the cathode, the electrons flow to the next component – the anode, due to this charged attraction."

WHAT?

Ummm.....WHAT exactly!!!
Old 26th Oct 2021, 2:42 pm   #27
wave solder
Hexode

I think I will stick to my common core series of books if I need a refresher rather that the misinformation that often abounds on the internet, they have served me well for many years.
Old 26th Oct 2021, 3:45 pm   #28
Sideband
Dekatron

Many years ago I had a book called (I think) A Fundamental Guide to Radio Valve Techniques. There were several hundred pages and a teardown of a typical (then) valve into its component parts. Pity I can't find it now and not sure I have the title completely correct. If you didn't know how valves worked by the time you reached the end.......! Must be over 50 years ago and it was old then!

It was written by people involved in the design and manufacture of valves.
Old 26th Oct 2021, 3:58 pm   #29
Sideband
Dekatron

I think it might be this one https://www.hificollective.co.uk/books/bk3008.html

but it looks like you have to create an account to download (and it probably isn't free)!
Old 26th Oct 2021, 4:10 pm   #30
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

There are 2018 reprints of that on Abebooks for a similar price (560 pages).
Old 26th Oct 2021, 6:30 pm   #31
Trigon.
Hexode

Also available on the internet archive:-

"Fundamentals of Radio-Valve Technique by J. Deketh"

https://archive.org/details/in.ernet...05617/mode/1up

(1949, 556 pages, 65.5MB)

Cheers
Old 26th Oct 2021, 7:15 pm   #32
Sideband
Dekatron

That's it! Thanks for posting that link. Like most of these reference books, there is an awful lot of information there that you probably don't need to know so just go for the bits that interest you or are relevent and go back to the rest of it when you are ready. At least you know the information is correct. I didn't realise it was produced by Philips in Holland.
Old 26th Oct 2021, 8:44 pm   #33
HECTOR63
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigon. View Post
Also available on the internet archive:-

"Fundamentals of Radio-Valve Technique by J. Deketh"

https://archive.org/details/in.ernet...05617/mode/1up

(1949, 556 pages, 65.5MB)

Cheers
Wow !!!

After a look at this I think Im in need of a heart Valve

Brilliant link thankyou
Old 27th Oct 2021, 2:45 pm   #34
McMurdo
Dekatron

somewhat misleading info, I'll say no more.
Old 27th Oct 2021, 6:32 pm   #35
Radio Wrangler

A positively charged electron is the electron's antiparticle, once called a positron, now called an antielectron. They are antimatter and will annihilate with a normal electron, yielding an amazing amount of energy.... 1.64 E-13 joules per particle pair. Probably as a photon of 2.47 E20 Hz jeepers! a wavelength of 1.2 E-12 metres. = Mega-electron volts = very hard gamma rays.

Don't try any of the experiments in that book at home!

Forget the lead lined underwear, you want to be a very very long way away from these events.

David
Old 27th Oct 2021, 8:43 pm   #36
Trigon.
Hexode

One shouldn't be overly concerned about proximity to electron/positron anihilation events - thay do after all occur at a pretty good rate inside your body during a normal PET scan...

Quote:
The radionuclide is administered into a vein through an intravenous (IV) line. Next, the PET scanner slowly moves over the part of the body being examined. Positrons are emitted by the breakdown of the radionuclide. Gamma rays called annihilation photons are created when positrons collide with electrons near the decay event. The scanner then detects the annihilation photons, which arrive at the detectors in coincidence at 180 degrees apart from one another. A computer analyzes those gamma rays and uses the information to create an image map of the organ or tissue being studied.
- Although most descriptions do tend to skip lightly over this aspect !

Cheers
Old 30th Oct 2021, 1:17 am   #37
thermalrunaway
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
Find any ARRL or RSGB handbook of the valve era, and you'll find good explanations aimed at someone starting right at the beginning and without any technical background. They will take them gently through what's involved up to whatever level they can use.

Their content has been checked and is free from misleading errors. The material just pointed at contains some schoolboy howlers, and they don't look to be there for fun. I'd suggest any beginners give it a wide berth. The handbooks also cover radio applications and don't look at the world through audio/guitar goggles.

They are a lighter entry than Scroggie, Terman, and Langford-Smith.

David
Hi,
there's a little RSGB paperback from the 40s called something like "introduction to valve technique" which is riddled with alternative facts. It was justly panned by WW in their publications section.

There's nothing new under the sun!

Rob
Old 30th Oct 2021, 1:25 am   #38
thermalrunaway
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
Find any ARRL or RSGB handbook of the valve era, and you'll find good explanations aimed at someone starting right at the beginning and without any technical background. They will take them gently through what's involved up to whatever level they can use.

Their content has been checked and is free from misleading errors. The material just pointed at contains some schoolboy howlers, and they don't look to be there for fun. I'd suggest any beginners give it a wide berth. The handbooks also cover radio applications and don't look at the world through audio/guitar goggles.

They are a lighter entry than Scroggie, Terman, and Langford-Smith.

David
This one- if you've got a copy, bin it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600 (3).jpg
Views:	95
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	244579  
Old 30th Oct 2021, 11:05 pm   #39
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigon. View Post
One shouldn't be overly concerned about proximity to electron/positron anihilation events - thay do after all occur at a pretty good rate inside your body during a normal PET scan...

Quote:
The radionuclide is administered into a vein through an intravenous (IV) line. Next, the PET scanner slowly moves over the part of the body being examined. Positrons are emitted by the breakdown of the radionuclide. Gamma rays called annihilation photons are created when positrons collide with electrons near the decay event. The scanner then detects the annihilation photons, which arrive at the detectors in coincidence at 180 degrees apart from one another. A computer analyzes those gamma rays and uses the information to create an image map of the organ or tissue being studied.
- Although most descriptions do tend to skip lightly over this aspect !

Cheers
In much the same way that the medical application of Nuclear Magnetic Resonance (NMR) became Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) which is particularly confusing round here, because you would likely be asked to attend the Manchester Royal Infirmary.
Old 31st Oct 2021, 12:22 am   #40
Radio Wrangler

I've heard of that booklet, but never seen one in the flesh. Perhaps everyone took WW's advice and gave it the Ray Bradbury treatment? I did mean the main handbooks. I use Terman and Langford-Smith, but they may not suit everyone's digestion.

David