UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 25th Nov 2021, 11:25 am   #1
Malcolm G6ANZ
Octode

Default Kenwood TK2180E

Continuation from here: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...hlight=kenwood
Over the past year I have randomly tried to get this hand held working. The CHIRP software recommended didn't appear to work as it was not compatible with a TK2180. I have done many Google searches with different questions and up until recently there were no useful answers. Then I came across one site that said that the European version of the TK2180 needed the KPG 92 version of the programming software not the KPG 89 which I had been using. Still being sceptical I didn't want to pay the Kenwood price for the software I looked for a free download. I did find a site that had it for free, just register. This I did and downloaded the zip file. This was extracted and run. Firstly when it asked for the model number there were a number of different suffixes to the main model number, the KPG 89D did not have these choices. Selecting the correct suffix and , with the radio connected to the port I selected 'read data' Success the radio was interrogated and its data displayed as it should. I then added a new transmit and receive frequency in the 2m band (145.525MHz) and told it to download the now file. Result a new frequency programmed into the radio.
So the radio is now talking to the programming software, I now need to study the user manual to find out what it can do and then programme in a load of 2m frequencies.

Malcolm
Old 25th Nov 2021, 8:59 pm   #2
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Default Re: Kenwood TK2180E

Well done Malcom, I remember this case and I am glad you have managed to salvage something from the situation. This site always comes up high in any list of Google results so hopefully your persistence will save anyone else in the same situation from pulling their hair out.
Closed Thread