UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 26th Jan 2022, 12:41 pm   #1
paolo
Heptode

Default 60s No-Name Record Player

Hi All,

I have spent a fair bit of today resurrecting this no-name suitcase record player. Great sentimental value as it is the same model bought by my parents in 1961 for my older brothers and sister and subsequently passed down to me many years later. It lasted until the mid 70s and then went to the great gramfest in the sky.

Fast forward and many many years later I decided to track down the same model. Not easy when there is no manufacturer information to go on! I eventually stumbled across this one about 17 years ago that had apparently been restored.

It turned out that restoration comprised a new rexine covering and mains lead. About 15 years ago the smoothing cap failed and it just sat on my “round tuit” pile. Until today that is!

Some new caps and resistors along with a thorough clean and lube of the UA14 deck and she is singing once again. It isn’t hi-fi by any stretch of the imagination but the memories it generates are priceless!

Paul
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	37E36DFF-6186-4D4F-95F3-26491FEC97B9.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	250507   Click image for larger version

Name:	376C44BE-ABA2-4BB4-8D3A-BF044849631B.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	250508   Click image for larger version

Name:	54025114-3BBE-4696-B42A-7DED009F013D.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	250509   Click image for larger version

Name:	7E737611-930C-4A49-A6FE-3D610E4AE3A2.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	250510  
Old 26th Jan 2022, 1:37 pm   #2
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Default Re: 60s No-Name Record Player

Looks great - just the thing to listen to The Archies on! In fact, the internals are usually the easier bit, as cabinets can be tricky. Looks like they'd done a nice job of it. AND there's a tone control! I assume it's a one-valve plus rectifier?
Old 26th Jan 2022, 2:43 pm   #3
paolo
Heptode

Yes, UCL82 and a UY85 rectifier. Surprising amount of volume from it too. When I got it, the tone sounded anaemic. I just put it down to my memory being kinder than reality. However, having changed the caps and some very out of spec resistors it is sounding really decent!
Old 26th Jan 2022, 2:50 pm   #4
Sideband
Dekatron

Ooh a posh one! Most of these no-name models had just a UL84 and UY85. Yours has actually got a two-stage amp so should sound better than the average no-name type. I hope that nasty Wima cap has been consigned to the bin?
Old 26th Jan 2022, 3:41 pm   #5
paolo
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideband View Post
I hope that nasty Wima cap has been consigned to the bin?
It was the first casualty in the battle
Old 26th Jan 2022, 5:26 pm   #6
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

I've just done a no-name with the same type of amplifier which actually seemed too loud when I'd finished it! Mine actually had a PCB and a slightly isolated chassis.
Old 29th Jan 2022, 2:05 pm   #7
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

This is a CIVIC 999 model. One of many record players made under the CIVIC brand for Department Store sale and as a "No-Name" (such as yours) for Mail Order. Yes, unusual to find a 2 stage amplifier which does not need those rarer-than-rare high-output cartridges. The sound can be dramatically improved by fitting a 7" x 4" or 6.5" speaker as that FANE unit is only a 4.5".
Old 2nd Feb 2022, 2:37 pm   #8
paolo
Heptode

Thank you so much Edward! It has been a lifelong mystery as to the model/manufacturer. I saw similarities to RGD/Alba/Tellux models but this is a major piece of the puzzle!

Thank you once again
Closed Thread