UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Jan 2022, 1:19 pm   #1
qtronix
Pentode

Default Cutting slate for amplifier plinth.

sorry if in the wrong section.
i have been given a snooker table top. must be 1" thick slate. was thinking of making an amplifier plinth out of it.
but would anyone no the best way to cut it up, and how would i go about polishing it. anyone have any tips. thanks
Old 2nd Jan 2022, 2:23 pm   #2
tomv893
Diode

Default Re: Cutting slate for amplifier plinth.

i have cut slate with a tile cutter, the type of cutter with a diamond impregnated cutting disc. A belt sander will take out the bulk of the rough, linishing compound will finish it off.
Old 2nd Jan 2022, 2:28 pm   #3
Radio Wrangler

I use a diamond wheel tile cutter with water to cut roofing slates. Don't try to force it or you may find a flaw in the slate and crack things apart. Ordinary steel drills will work, but get badly worn. Use water as coolant and to move dust out. Carbide drills for hammer machines also work, but don't use the hammer!

David
Old 2nd Jan 2022, 2:40 pm   #4
ms660
Dekatron

I used a diamond blade fitted to an angle grinder to cut all my slate window sills (1" thick) have also used a hardened jigsaw blade for cut outs etc.

Having said that it was Brazilian or Spanish slate which might be softer than the snooker table slate.

For normal roofing slates I always used a traditional manual slate cutter.

Lawrence.
Old 2nd Jan 2022, 3:25 pm   #5
Goldie99
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms660 View Post
For normal roofing slates I always used a traditional manual slate cutter.

Lawrence.
A man after my own heart !
Roof slates can be cut quickly & easily using just a traditional slater's axe & break tool, and that includes the nail holes... my father taught me when I was about 12. A once learnt never forgotten skill, although I admit, not well suited to 1" thick slate...

If you don't have the relevant tools, it may just be easier to ask a local memorial / headstone company.
Old 2nd Jan 2022, 3:38 pm   #6
ms660
Dekatron

Photo enclosed of what can be done with an angle grinder with a diamond cutting disc and a jigsaw and a belt sander, it's not the best of photo's but serves to illustrate, the slabs are about 4'6" wide and are about 1" thick, the one above the stove has a curved cutout (approx. 10" across) to clear the pipe which was done with a jigsaw.

All the exposed corners have a fine chamfered edge, that was done with a belt sander and a steady hand.

The finish is very good, I haven't bothered to polish them.

Lawrence.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PA280007.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	248872  

Last edited by ms660; 2nd Jan 2022 at 3:45 pm. Reason: word change
Old 2nd Jan 2022, 3:59 pm   #7
broadgage
Nonode

A slat slab is sometimes as the hearth for a solid fuel stove. So if you do not fancy tackling this yourself it might be worth asking a local stove installer.
Old 2nd Jan 2022, 6:41 pm   #8
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

When I needed a slab cut with some somewhat-strange contours for use as a doorstep [it had to fit round the porch's drain-gully] I got ny local monumental-mason to do it.

They used a flat-bed bandsaw whose blade was cooled by what I guess is the stoneworker's version of metal-lather's "suds".

I was intrigued to also see the CNC-milling-machine they used to engrave the text onto headstones. Import the memorial-text from an email, select font/spacing and press 'print'. It could also render greyscale images... though I really wonder how well these would look after a few years of lichen accretion.
Old 2nd Jan 2022, 10:46 pm   #9
joebog1
Banned

All the above suggestions are perfect for straight edges! I use a jigsaw fitted with a carborundum coated blade. The carborundum granules are about 3mm X 1 mm X 2mm. It's very securely glued to the steel blade. The steel part of the blade is "normal" size. I made my turntable plinth using one, and did the cut out for a Garrard 401 in one pass and it fits perfectly. I do use water as a lubricant/coolant though.

There are also blades that fit a hand hacksaw frame. Its something like a thick bicycle spoke coated in the same granules as the jigsaw blade. Its use should be self evident. It can take very sharp corners and leaves an excellent finish, as does the jigsaw.

For drilling holes I use tungsten tipped hole saws.

I have made a few slate plinths and I use the hardest slate available to keep resonance down.

Joe
Old 6th Jan 2022, 7:37 pm   #10
qtronix
Pentode

thanks guys i did have a go at cutting it in half. and when i dropped it on the floor to finish it off i now have 2 triangle shapes lol. so its a start, at least i can move it around now.
Old 7th Jan 2022, 12:06 am   #11
Radio Wrangler

I've now got the idea lodged in my head of having a monumental mason make a turntable plinth. You'd get excellent workmanship and could have whatever you wanted engraved deeply into it... in Gothic fonts, of course..... and a little flower vase!

DAvid
Old 7th Jan 2022, 4:24 pm   #12
McMurdo
Dekatron

I cut the slate for my hearth using a diamond cutting disc (only about 8mm thick) but it was hard going and super-dusty. I used a spray bottle of water to keep everything damp. Took ages, slate is very hard.