UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Where To Get Sets and Parts

Notices

Where To Get Sets and Parts For discussions about swapmeets, rallies, NVCF and BVWS, car boot sales, antique and charity shops, dealers, newspaper adverts, the local tip and just about any other source of equipment (other than eBay).

Closed Thread

Old 13th Nov 2021, 11:50 pm   #21
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Best Soldering Iron 2021

Metcal in use here, model STSS-PS2V-02. Been in use for many years. Never had problems with it - yet!

Al.
Old 14th Nov 2021, 8:48 pm   #22
stainless
Tetrode

What are people's thoughts on the KSGER T12 soldering iron (once the well documented safety problems have been sorted)?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Soldering-S...7PGSZ3Y7&psc=1
Old 14th Nov 2021, 11:25 pm   #23
McMurdo
Dekatron

the KSGER T12 is also sold as a 'Quicko' which is the one I have.
I have the 24VDC one and opted to run it from a known safe, quality SMPSU.

There are a few other threads on this.

My T12 is still going strong and still on its original bit (5-days a week use)
Old 15th Nov 2021, 3:03 am   #24
DMarchesi
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by David G4EBT View Post
Back in April, form member BrianAllen started a thread on soldering stations and in post #8 of that thread, I gave details of the 'KSGER' V2.1S T12 Digital Temperature-Controlled Soldering Station, which appears to be a clone of the Hakko stations, and seems to be quite well regarded. I'd wondered if anyone had first-hand experience of owning and using one and was able to provide some objective feedback, good or bad, (rather than subjective opinions by those who don't own one).

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=178728

In post #18, Brian stated that he'd ordered one, and in post #23, that when it arrived, he'd give an update.

Given that it has to come from 'the Orient' maybe it hasn't yet arrived?

It would be helpful if anyone who does have one of these machines could comment, as all in all, from online 'teardown reviews', performance and spec wise, along with the availability of a wide range of tips, it looks like a good buy for hobbyist use.
I have a T12-952 Hakko clone made by a company called quicko that i bought for 32 GBP and can report it is a very good unit for hobbyist use, tips come in many shapes and sizes and can be sourced for around 5 pounds each, heat up time is very fast 0 -330 in 10 seconds, I've been using mine for nearly 18 months and I'm still using all of the 5 tips i purchased at the same time as the iron, no failed tips as of yet and i use my iron very regularly
Old 15th Nov 2021, 1:46 pm   #25
greg_simons
Octode

Metcal sp200 series here, bits are readily available and they can handle most jobs in the workshop.
Greg.
Old 16th Nov 2021, 8:36 pm   #26
Peter F4VSA
Tetrode

It worries me when a soldering iron costs more than most of the equipment in the workshop! My 40 year old TCP is still going strong. I still have one that you heat on the gas cooker
Old 16th Nov 2021, 9:22 pm   #27
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

I still have a 15W Henley Solon that's hardly ever been used .

B
Old 17th Nov 2021, 9:22 am   #28
Kentode
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldStott View Post
After many years of faultless service my Tenma Digital Soldering Station appears to have given up the ghost and refuses to reach operating temperatures!

What's the current recommendations for a temperature controlled soldering station?
So Donald, your original post was in July; what did you get?

BVWS member
Old 17th Nov 2021, 11:28 am   #29
David G4EBT
Dekatron

I'm not in need of one at the moment, but as mentioned in previous threads, the 'KSGER T12' seems to be very popular has a lot of reviews, (mostly favourable), and 'teardowns' on internet, seemingly being a clone of the much vaunted Haiku (and much more expensive) Hakku. It takes the same tips as the Hakku).

The T12 is presently £46 on Banggood, (plus 11p post), a set of four assorted tips is £11.00 and ten tips is £23.

Here are some reviews:

'KSGER T12 Review - The Best Cheap Soldering Station Value'

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...18&FORM=VDRVRV

This is a follow up review and Q&A in the light of experience in using the station, and it also reviews the 858D SMD solder rework station:

'KSGER T12 & 858D Station Follow Up & Questions Answered'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dy9WUtvdBUk

'KSGER T12 Mod To Improve Safety That You Can Do - It's Fun!'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BnxiF-gQwQ

I manage quite happily with soldering irons of varying Wattages, but if I did buy a temperature controlled station, although I could afford a Metcal or whatever, I'm a hobbyist, so I'd choose one aimed at the hobby market such as the KSGER T12. The same applies to test gear - as a hobbyist, I neither need or want expensive high-end test gear calibrated to within an inch of it's life. Most of the components (apart from in tuned stages) in vintage radios when new had tolerances of +/- 10% or 20%, and the voltages varied according to the mains Voltages. a 20 MHz double-trace analogue scope and a Toolzone multi-meter adequately meet my modest needs.

But as the late Liberace said 'The only difference between men and boys is the price they pay for their toys' so each to their own.

Hope the links might be of interest.
Old 17th Nov 2021, 2:49 pm   #30
Gabe001
Octode

I have a Hakko which I'm happy with, although it took me some time to get used to it.
The temperature setting and the temperature correction setting is a bit awkward but I do like it now.
Closed Thread