UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Computers

Notices

Vintage Computers Any vintage computer systems, calculators, video games etc., but with an emphasis on 1980s and earlier equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Dec 2022, 3:27 am   #1
777xxxx
Tetrode

Default what software can i use to write assembly language programs for the mk14?

ideally it would create a bin file straight away without needing to convert it to hex file and then to a bin file.
Old 10th Dec 2022, 8:56 am   #2
Slothie
Octode

Default Re: what software can i use to write assembly language programs for the mk14?

A number of us use SBASM from https://www.sbprojects.net/sbasm/ which has support for the 8060, is free, quick, very well documented, written in Python so is hackable if thats important, and similar syntax to the original NS assembler, although the assembler directives are different. It can produce binary or Intel Hex files directly from source too, so if you're using one of the uploaders featured in threads here, there's less complexity.

I have a Raspberry Pi ZeroW set up with the assembler, the uploader hardware and software Sirius designed connected to my MK14, and IDE of choice and GIT installed for version control which I can connect to across my home network and assemblle & upload code to my MK14 using a make file which is very convenient.

The TASM assembler for Windows also supports the 8060 but that is getting hard to find, although there are some third party sites that offer downloads for assembling 8060 - google for that.
Old 10th Dec 2022, 9:52 am   #3
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Default Re: what software can i use to write assembly language programs for the mk14?

+1 for SBASM which works quite nicely on multiple platforms, even on the Raspberry Pi, due to the fact that it is written in Python which there is a version of for every major operating system.

It can produce .bin files but bear in mind that a .bin file can only hold code intended to reside in a single continuous block of memory, so I would suggest you write your programs to start at 0400 and, assuming you would be looking to write software which works with the VDU, adopt 0200-03FF as the VDU RAM with SWAP PAGEs always enabled. This will place 0200 at the upper left of the screen and 03FF at the lower right so that all of the screen memory is in one continuous run from screen top to screen bottom.

Generally speaking, this configuration should be the standard for anyone intending to write new VDU software for MK14s with fully expanded memory.
Old 10th Dec 2022, 11:24 am   #4
Phil__G
Octode

Notepad and SBASM for me too. Dont worry about hex and bin, its really no big deal.
We've all done a fair bit of SC/MP assembler so these recommendations from the lads are based on experience
Old 10th Dec 2022, 2:30 pm   #5
Realtime
Hexode

I use Notepad++. It has an asm template so highlights keywords and data etc in different colours. And SBASM.

With SBASM note that you can't generate .hex and .bin outputs at the same time - select one or the other in the .asm header e.g.

Code:
	.CR  SCMP
;	.TF  Invaders.HEX,INT    Commented out
	.TF  Invaders.BIN,BIN
	.LF  Invaders.LST
Old 10th Dec 2022, 2:45 pm   #6
Phil__G
Octode

Theres also the 'AS' macro-assembler by Alfred Arnold which Karen used for all her SC/MP work.
http://john.ccac.rwth-aachen.de:8000/as/
Closed Thread