UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Dec 2022, 1:12 am   #1
Herald1360
Dekatron

Default "New" toaster 🙂

I've acquired this little Hotpoint toaster in tidy condition recently.

It works as well as might be expected and with an added Dualit rundown timer in the lead after a few experimental runs I don't have to watch it like a hawk!

Eagle eyes might spot the slightly dodgy connection to the timer unit but I'm happy with it (I live in a child-free household)

Anyone know exactly how vintage it is? And/or the significance of the "2C" serial number?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20221218_235351.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	270037   Click image for larger version

Name:	20221218_235640.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	270038  
.........O..Chris....O
Old 19th Dec 2022, 9:46 am   #2
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Default Re: "New" toaster 🙂

The Museum of Design in Plastics (well, the little handles qualify, and maybe the cord grip too?) reckons 1947 or thereabouts:

https://www.modip.ac.uk/artefact/aibdc-000967

That could be the release year, but I think your example is a little older than theirs, from the red 'Hotpoint' as well as the 'serial number', which on theirs is 3H. What that means - well, my guess would be production year followed by month, which could mean yours was produced in March and theirs in August: but isn't much help as to the years, and I'll withdraw the guess if the next one has 2W on it...

I've a few similar instruments around, including an early post-war Rowlett, an unbranded perhaps pre-war one that comes with toast rack, a boxed and apparently unused Magnet (i.e. GEC) which may also date back to the '30s, and somewhere one with a painted wooden base made by a small operation in Sunderland. They're all resting, with a much more recent tangerine-coloured Rowlett Rutland on kitchen duty as it provides one, two, three or four slices at will.

Paul
Old 19th Dec 2022, 10:01 am   #3
rontech
Heptode

My parents had a similar one I think it was made by a company called "Keith ".

The daet would be about 1947
Old 19th Dec 2022, 10:14 am   #4
G.Castle
Heptode

My grandfather still has his parents one! now unused, though it's two core fabric over rubber lead is in good condition, and it still has the bayonet connector ready to plug into the light pendant!

Next time I'm there I'll look for a serial number, but I'd think it was prewar.

Greg
Old 19th Dec 2022, 11:03 am   #5
emeritus
Dekatron

The patent number shows it was manufactured post-war.
Old 19th Dec 2022, 12:51 pm   #6
G.Castle
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by emeritus View Post
The patent number shows it was manufactured post-war.
Yes the OP's one is. Not sure of the manufacturer name on Grandpa's! unless you know Grandpa?

Interesting item though.

Regards,
Greg.
Old 19th Dec 2022, 1:44 pm   #7
Herald1360
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Castle View Post
My grandfather still has his parents one! now unused, though it's two core fabric over rubber lead is in good condition, and it still has the bayonet connector ready to plug into the light pendant!

Next time I'm there I'll look for a serial number, but I'd think it was prewar.

Greg
The 9" fabric and rubber cable stub (3-core on mine and with its green core still firmly connected to the chassis) is also in good condition. Its length suggested some sort of inline connector rather than a complete new cable would be the way to go and the clockwork rundown timer arrangement on my Dualit came to mind
.........O..Chris....O
Old 19th Dec 2022, 1:51 pm   #8
Herald1360
Dekatron

The grey base cover on mine which I at first thought might be elephantide from its colour is actually a steel plate about 2mm thick which gives a nice stable quality "feel" to the unit.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 19th Dec 2022, 2:20 pm   #9
hamid_1
Heptode

I have a similar Hotpoint toaster with glass side panels. Model 808 53 (pictures below, no serial number visible). Acquired very cheaply from a car boot sale. The seller didn't know much about it. At the time I searched and found a newspaper article online in which an old chap said he was still using the same Hotpoint glass-sided toaster that he had been given as a wedding present in the late 1940s. That date seems to match what others have said.

This style of toaster where you flip open the doors on each side dates back to the early 1900s and was still around in the 1950s before being replaced by the automatic pop-up type in use today. It's amazing how little the basic design has changed over so many years.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	hotpoint 808 53.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	270053   Click image for larger version

Name:	hotpoint_base.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	169.4 KB
ID:	270054   Click image for larger version

Name:	hotpoint_open.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	270055  
Old 19th Dec 2022, 6:07 pm   #10
Herald1360
Dekatron

808 53, Hamid's, 808 54, mine rather suggests my model superseded Hamid's. It does have a more modern feel to its appearance.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 19th Dec 2022, 10:46 pm   #11
joebog1
Banned

Its a very clever design !!!. By looking through the glass window, you can see either :
1. The side not yet burned or
2. The side you already burned but haven't scraped off yet

Just kidding

Joe
Old 19th Dec 2022, 11:50 pm   #12
emeritus
Dekatron

A toaster like the one in #9 is illustrated in the GEC catalogue for 1911.
Old 20th Dec 2022, 12:06 am   #13
paulsherwin

They were actually very common before pop-up toasters became available in the 1960s, particularly in households without open fires or gas grills. They do make nice toast if used with care, better than pop-ups in my opinion. An aunt of mine was still using one in the 90s.
Old 20th Dec 2022, 12:18 am   #14
hamid_1
Heptode

I searched the patent number GB456901 from Herald's toaster on PatentScope and Espacenet

The patent was applied for in 1935 and published in 1936, so the toaster must have been made after that date. It might be just pre-war, or a number of years after. These sorts of toasters were in production for a long time. No patent number mentioned on my toaster. That could mean it's an earlier model or it didn't make use of that particular patent.

The glass doors seem like a good idea, but sadly you can't see the side of bread that's actually being toasted. It may be useful for heating or grilling other items. When the door is opened, the bread is supposed to fall down and flip itself over - this is mentioned in the patent.
Old 20th Dec 2022, 9:32 am   #15
Paul_RK
Dekatron

This one is somewhat removed from all the other toasters I've met, has anyone seen its like? I'm not thinking of the clip-on toast rack, just the utterly minimal appearance of it underneath and the 5A mains connector (earthing? what's that? ) No commercial operation owns up to having made it: no sign of a brand, even the mains connectors are just "Made in England".

I'm pretty sanguine generally about using vintage appliances, but I've not been tempted to put this one into service. It doesn't look as though anyone ever has: perhaps the newlyweds who were given it also received a proper one from someone else... I bought it from the window display of a charity shop just three years ago, possibly saving them a reprimand or worse.

Paul
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tu1.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	270118   Click image for larger version

Name:	tu2.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	270119   Click image for larger version

Name:	tu3.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	270120   Click image for larger version

Name:	tu4.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	270121  
Old 20th Dec 2022, 11:18 am   #16
EF80TVVALVE
Octode

That's probably the most advanced version of these toasters Paul! I have a 1940s(ish) Premier toaster and as previously said they make great toast! The problem I have found is that the toast can go cold quite quickly so the rack up top would certainly help if making up multiple rounds. It's amazing to see how many of these things survive but I suppose they're small enough to be tucked away and forgotten about.
Old 20th Dec 2022, 11:23 am   #17
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Indeed! I have two of similar design to these (though no integral toast rack). One I have rewired with three-core flex to earth the metalwork. The other still has the supplied two-core - but no plug (to avoid it being powered up).
Old 20th Dec 2022, 11:31 am   #18
Herald1360
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebog1 View Post
Its a very clever design !!!. By looking through the glass window, you can see either :
1. The side not yet burned or
2. The side you already burned but haven't scraped off yet

Just kidding

Joe
Many a true word.......

Not to mention that you can see that the d**n thing needs a good clean when it's just sitting on the worktop minding its own business

The weight of the glass does relieve the otherwise "tinny" feel of the flaps in the same way as the thick steel bottom plate does to the whole toaster.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 20th Dec 2022, 12:25 pm   #19
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by EF80TVVALVE View Post
I have a 1940s(ish) Premier toaster and as previously said they make great toast! The problem I have found is that the toast can go cold quite quickly so the rack up top would certainly help if making up multiple rounds.
Except once it's up there it will still grow cold pretty fast - one reason I'm sticking with our four slice Rowlett Rutland where it stays in the heated body of the toaster until the user pushes a lever to make it rise.

Here's another that appears to have escaped ever having had a plug put on it. I wouldn't be fearful of using this one, at least after checking the rubber in the mains lead hasn't perished. I've only just noticed the ingenious method of attempting to achieve an evenly toasted slice: three horizontal elements, each less densely wound than the one beneath it to adjust for rising heat; and only then did I notice how the vertical elements of the other toasters have their turns of resistance wire more closely spaced at the bottom than at the top. Obvious really...

Paul
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	mag1.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	270122   Click image for larger version

Name:	mag2.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	270123   Click image for larger version

Name:	mag3.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	270124  

Last edited by Paul_RK; 20th Dec 2022 at 12:33 pm.
Old 20th Dec 2022, 1:44 pm   #20
David G4EBT
Dekatron

I have a Premier 'Cat 916' toaster.

The rather nifty feature of most of these toasters which isn't immediately apparent unless you put a slice of bread in, is that they're 'turnover' toasters. When you open the door to check if the bread is toasted to your liking, the slice slides down onto the open door, then when you close the door, the toast is turned over to toast the un-toasted side. Simple, but ingenious.

Way more convenient in my view than pop-up toaster, though that's what we use.

This Premier toaster will have been a car loot sale impulse buy about 25 yeas ago.

They date from the early 1950s and are very commonplace on eBay. They must have made hundreds of thousands.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Toaster1.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	270127   Click image for larger version

Name:	Toaster2.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	270128   Click image for larger version

Name:	Badge.jpg
Views:	74