UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Nov 2022, 9:40 am   #1
SpyguyUK
Tetrode

Smile Yamaha CDR-D651 CD Recorder

Hi,

I have a Yamaha CDR-D651 CD Recorder. I had not used it for 4 or 5 years but was working ok when last used.

I got it out the other day and both CD doors open and close on their own. CD1 makes a whirring noise too. I sometimes have to close CD1 door manually. CD2 opens by itself. CD2 opens when button is pressed also but CD1 seems to either not shut properly or at all. It won't read discs either.

Could this be a software problem as I assume it's not the belts as both doors do open.

I was going to use it to record cassettes to CD.

Anyone got any ideas what is wrong with it? Video attached of fault.
Using remote control. First part of video with no CD's, second part with CD's.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QRG...usp=share_link

Thanks.

Last edited by SpyguyUK; 16th Nov 2022 at 9:56 am.
Old 16th Nov 2022, 10:42 am   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Yamaha CDR-D651 CD Recorder

Could be the microswitches getting dirty. Alternatively tired loading belts can produce this symptom despite appearing to 'work' - the slack belt doesn't push the microswitches hard enough. The cheap Chinese belt assortments are OK for this job, at least for a while.
Old 30th Nov 2022, 11:00 pm   #3
SpyguyUK
Tetrode

Thumbs up Re: Yamaha CDR-D651 CD Recorder

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
Could be the microswitches getting dirty. Alternatively tired loading belts can produce this symptom despite appearing to 'work' - the slack belt doesn't push the microswitches hard enough. The cheap Chinese belt assortments are OK for this job, at least for a while.
UPDATE

Hi,

Thanks. You were totally correct it was the belts! Got the service manual online although only needed to view a couple of pages.

Glad to have repaired this as it's an expensive piece of equipment.

Thanks again.
Closed Thread