UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Nov 2022, 12:21 pm   #1
wireman
Heptode

Default Can anyone recommend 2mm test leads?

I'm looking for a recommendation for compact 2mm test leads.

I have an ICE Microtest 80 multimeter, my first multimeter purchased when I was at school and joined an after-school electronics club where I built a transistor radio. I did get replacement leads a long time ago but they don't fit in the case.

Link here to some details on the RadioMuseum website: https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/ice_microtest_80.html#

I'm looking for something that would fit in the compartment which is roughly 16(+4)x20x90mm.
Old 19th Nov 2022, 1:09 pm   #2
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Default Re: Can anyone recommend 2mm test leads?

I think it is often the case that ready-made test leads tend to be longer than we might want or need. I made up some short leads (~16"), just re-cycling the original plugs and probes and using some very flexible wire (but would be cautious about using that wire on mains voltage). I put a couple of short pieces of heat shrink around the two leads to stop them "flapping around". I've been really happy with those; might make some more!

B
Old 19th Nov 2022, 9:03 pm   #3
Techman
Dekatron

The ones shown in the link look like 4mm to me. I've got at least one analogue meter with 2mm plug leads an they're like pins by comparison.
Old 5th Jan 2023, 4:50 pm   #4
-ADBeta-
Triode

I can't recommend any specific pre-made leads but I have been making -alot- of leads for myself in the past year or so.

I highly recommend surplus Rapid Electronics 8mm/4mm/2mm banana jacks, if you can't find those, I recommend modern parts made by PJP, they are fantastic. -
As for wire, I tend to not use the proper double-insulated stuff, I use Cynder Manf. Co. (Manchester) wire specifically their 7 strand 0.2mm^2 stuff for low power, and Triumph Cables (Chinese) for higher current, their silicone is the best I have found from China.

Alternatively you can cut and reuse cable from otherwise unused leads, as that should be correctly rated.
Hope this is helpful
Closed Thread