UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 31st Jan 2023, 12:00 pm   #1
g0hze snowy
Hexode

Default Teac x-7r

Morning all, my above player has not been used for some time, sat on my shelf in the front room warm and dry.
Went to use it, not playing the tapes, it seems that tape heads not in contact with the tape, heads not dropping down when play selected.
Before i attempt to dismantle it, is there anybody here that has experience of this and the repair.
As always any and all help appreciated from the members
Snowy
Old 31st Jan 2023, 2:46 pm   #2
knobtwiddler
Octode

Default Re: Teac x-7r

I don't know this machine, but I can tell you for a fact that a classic issue with Japanese tape machines of this era is dried up grease. It can sieze up assemblies like glue. My advice would be to power it down and go through each moving part in turn, checking that it moves up / down / around freely. If something is seized due to dried grease, it won't do it any good if it's powered, as it'll stress driver circuits / solenoids etc.

edit - there are likely many areas you'll have to look into, not just grease. But if the machine hasn't been stripped / degreased / regreased before, it'll likely need it!
Old 31st Jan 2023, 5:18 pm   #3
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Indeed it sounds as if the pinch roller carriage has gummed up. You may need to apply heat or IPA to the junction of the sliding plates to free them, then strip and relubricate with something like Superlube. It's not unduly difficult, but laborious.
Old 31st Jan 2023, 6:18 pm   #4
g0hze snowy
Hexode

Thanks gents, one of the reasons i purchased this particular item was that the old grease had been removed and replaced with a modern equiv.
i have had it approx 6 or 7 years, i have also purchased a replacement rewind motor as towards the end of the process it requires assistance some 3 years ago.
got a new puppy so my time is in demand by her at the moment.
regards
Old 31st Jan 2023, 6:54 pm   #5
Analogue man
Hexode

I think this deck has the same mechanism as one of my TEAC's if so the heads and pinch wheel are brought into contact with the tape by a motor via a drive belt, in mine the belt had broken.
Old 31st Jan 2023, 7:00 pm   #6
Lucien Nunes
Rest in Peace

Quote:
heads not dropping down when play selected.
The heads don't move down, the pinch rollers and tape lifter move up.

Quote:
if so the heads and pinch wheel are brought into contact with the tape by a motor via a drive belt
In this model the pinch rollers are actuated by a solenoid.

I have stripped and re-greased a number of TEAC X-decks in the past that have then stuck again after a few years disuse. In fact, there's one right here, awaiting that very same treatment.

As you are returning a machine to service you might be considering changing the belt, given that the deck is rather finicky about belt condition. The original part is still available from TEAC but only in the USA, which won't ship direct to UK buyers. I believe the P/N is 5534692001 but check first. Beware replica belts; some will work OK for a while but then won't shift during reverse, others are too tight and stress the rather lightweight motor. Some I bought a few years ago from a reputable tape spares supplier soon turned to goo (before I realised that TEAC USA still stocked the OEM belt.)

Be careful not to mix up left and right hand parts and note the spacer under one screw for angling the capstan motor if you disturb it.

Last edited by Lucien Nunes; 31st Jan 2023 at 7:10 pm.
Old 31st Jan 2023, 11:31 pm   #7
TIMTAPE
Octode

ISTR that after disassembly and cleaning there are three metal parts at each pinch roller whose holes need to be lined up precisely to allow a pin to slide through them. It can be a little tricky.

It's a more complicated mechanism than older A series Teac machines, although they too suffered from dried out grease in the pinch roller mechanism.
Old 1st Feb 2023, 9:07 am   #8
g0hze snowy
Hexode

Thanks Tim, i might yet take it get it done 'professionally', too good a machine for me to make a mess of, got the mini 'dachs' taking up my waking and sleeping hours at the moment tho'.
Closed Thread