UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Jan 2023, 5:25 pm   #1
cathoderay57
Nonode

Default Tektronix T912

I tried to use my Tek T912 in X-Y mode to do a phase shift measurement on a Quad II amplifier, applying the input signal to the amp input and to the scope Y input, and the amp output (using a dummy load) into the scope X connector. This should have displayed an ellipse (Lissajou figure) whose dimensions I could use to estimate phase shift. However, the best I could do was to select the slowest timebase (0.5s), trigger mode to "Auto". Then I had to select or deselect the slope button which gave a single slow sweep of the ellipse across the screen. I was unable to lock the ellipse to enable measurement. With Trigger source set to "Int" and mode to "Auto" while applying a signal just to the Y input enables sine and square waves to be displayed and locked normally. Is the inability to display the stationary ellipse by design or is there likely to be a fault on the scope? I'm thinking that normally for Lissajou figures the timebase needs to be switched off completely which isn't possible from the front panel of this instrument. Jerry
Old 23rd Jan 2023, 7:26 pm   #2
Trigon.
Hexode

Default Re: Tektronix T912

The trigger source switch has an "XY" position at the bottom. Are you saying the timebase still runs in this position? (It shouldn't!)

Cheers
Old 23rd Jan 2023, 10:08 pm   #3
cathoderay57
Nonode

Looks like there's a fault then. If I turn the scope on with no signals connected to X or Y input, I get, as you'd expect, a horizontal flat line using Trigger Source set to Int, Line, X, or X/10 with Trigger Mode set to Auto. When I move the Trigger Source switch to X-Y the screen goes blank. If I then press the slope switch I get one horizontal line flash up starting part way from the left edge of screen extending fully to the right edge. Then the screen goes blank until I press the slope switch again, and the partial line repeats once. Any clues as to where I should be looking? I have got a copy of the manual. Cheers, Jerry
Old 23rd Jan 2023, 10:49 pm   #4
cathoderay57
Nonode

Oh dear. I'm embarrassed to admit it is me being a dipstick . The brightness control in X-Y mode is set considerably lower than the level for normal timebase display (that's my excuse). All I needed to do was turn up the brightness to reveal the stationary spot near centre screen in X-Y mode.. Jerry
Old 24th Jan 2023, 10:48 am   #5
trobbins
Heptode

Brightness, and especially persistence become important for very low frequency assessment of gain phase.
Old 29th Jan 2023, 10:04 am   #6
RichardGM
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathoderay57 View Post
Oh dear. I'm embarrassed to admit it is me being a dipstick . The brightness control in X-Y mode is set considerably lower than the level for normal timebase display (that's my excuse). All I needed to do was turn up the brightness to reveal the stationary spot near centre screen in X-Y mode.. Jerry
Lower brightness perhaps by design, to minimise the risk of burning the screen?
Old 29th Jan 2023, 8:48 pm   #7
John_BS
Octode

@ trobbins

Brilliant comment!!
Closed Thread