UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Jan 2022, 3:09 pm   #121

Default Re: Fitting a mains plug.

I have never boiled the contents of a kettle, I let the electric do that for me via a socket and plug, or, as it should be, "the water entropy increasing interconnect system".

To get it unambiguous, a BS1363 plug and socket. All that assumes the UK, Ireland, Cyprus, Malta, Malaysia, and some other countries in Africa and Asia.

Old 3rd Jan 2022, 3:21 pm   #122
dglcomp
Heptode

Someone at work once did put a kettle on a gas hob to boil!
Old 3rd Jan 2022, 3:22 pm   #123
eddie_ce
Hexode

Moulded plugs from a reputable dealer are IMO fine, however, as several YouTube contributors have demonstrated, any moulded plug sourced from usually Asia should be suspected.

Some plugs are labelled FUSED with the brown conductor going straight to the live pin, i.e. the Fuse has no function and is only there as an optical nicety. A 0.5mm² flex on a 32 MCB isn't really a good idea.

Some other plugs on Class I equipment have no connection at all to the earth pin. Other plugs have sleeved earth pins which will open the shutters but it is the sleeved part that makes contact with the earth on the socket.

Some flex is very thin and has aluminium or worse steel conductors with a light coating of copper to make it look the part.

I could go on, not to mention fake fuses. It is a minefield out there.
Old 3rd Jan 2022, 3:33 pm   #124

My grandma did that all the time, it was an externally heated kettle.

Old 3rd Jan 2022, 3:36 pm   #125
Station X

(Let's get) back on topic please.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 3rd Jan 2022, 3:57 pm   #126
Glowing Bits!
Octode

If someone says to me "plug top", I'd interpret it as meaning a plug in a socket high up the wall.
Old 3rd Jan 2022, 4:04 pm   #127
Glowing Bits!
Octode

Just had another thought, we should be calling a socket a receptacle, it sounds better.
Old 3rd Jan 2022, 4:05 pm   #128
Radio Wrangler

It's beginning to look like fitting a plug to an appliance cable is as involved and as pedantic as Delia Smith's entire TV programme on boiling an egg.

I think everything that needed saying, along with good and bad example mugshots, went past some time ago and so it's time to apply the brakes to this thread.

David