UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 30th Nov 2021, 4:05 pm   #1
stevehertz
Dekatron

Default Internal aerial connectors

My external AM aerial is distributed into different rooms in my house and is connected to sets in those rooms as may be desired at any point in time. Because I want to disconnect any sets in rooms that are not currently being listened to, from the aerial, I use a system of short links that can quickly be deployed to make the aerial connection to a particular room. The key components are the gold plated, bullet, 'banana' connectors used on the links and stub ends. These ones are nice because they are solderable and come with heat shrink sleeves. It's a simple matter to make or disconnect a particular section of the aerial as it passes from room to room. Thus, only only radio is connected to the aerial at any point in time, and reconnection takes seconds.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20211130_101608.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	133.9 KB
ID:	247008   Click image for larger version

Name:	20211130_101619.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	247009  
Old 30th Nov 2021, 4:34 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Internal aerial connectors

Very neat.

Until the 60s, most radio aerials had a knife switch on the windowsill which allowed them to be disconnected during thunderstorms. That would be a nice historically accurate way doing the same thing, though they're a bit bulky by modern standards, and are very rarely seen now.
Old 30th Nov 2021, 4:41 pm   #3

Amazon do them... https://www.amazon.co.uk/Knife-Switc...NrPXRydWU&th=1 a bit plasticky (I have one on my clock) but OK.

Old 30th Nov 2021, 4:44 pm   #4
stevehertz
Dekatron

Good points you make guys, thanks.
Old 3rd Dec 2021, 1:00 am   #5
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinmaxwell View Post
Amazon do them... https://www.amazon.co.uk/Knife-Switc...NrPXRydWU&th=1 a bit plasticky (I have one on my clock) but OK.

I had a similar switch to earth my topband long-wire in the '70s
I got sparks jumping the gap in a thunderstorm if it was nearly closed (!)

Never tried the full on Benjamin Franklin thing with a kite
Closed Thread