UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Jan 2022, 4:27 pm   #21
Herald1360
Dekatron

Default Re: Heathkit HW8 toroid wire

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinmaxwell View Post

Careful with toriods, most leak a bit of filed ......
Love it!

Iron, perhaps?
.........O..Chris....O
Old 8th Jan 2022, 2:43 pm   #22
Endckr111
Triode

Hi All
A question for you, I was thinking of starting anew thread, but as it was brought up here, I thought as well to continue
It’s regarding my new toy, a Marconi Tf2700, Iv just had a close encounter with it, and on inspection I noticed the electrolytic caps installed, a few DO NOT match in value as stated in manual, ie 1mfd 350v in manual, but in meter a 1mfd 50v has been fitted? There’s a few others with large voltage differences
Would I be best to replace All caps to specified values n voltages stated in manual? My gut feeling I should for piece of mind
Apologies if I’m a pain! But hear to learn from you guys!
Cheers
Mark
Old 8th Jan 2022, 2:56 pm   #23

Quote:
Love it!

Iron, perhaps?
I before E unless you have an L in the middle and the first letter isn't an F, or so I remember.

Old 8th Jan 2022, 2:57 pm   #24
Ian - G4JQT
Octode

Sometimes voltages and capacitances get changed due to component supply without any significant change in performances. Sometimes it's just misprints in the manual.

I've certainly seen this in vintage manufacturers' radio service sheets that often get carried through to the Trader Sheets without correction. My Heathkit HW-9 transceiver also has a whole list of circuit corrections to capacitor values that look much more like misprint corrections than circuit updates.

Unfortunately test equipment and their manuals are probably no more immune to this than any other equipment.

Ian

Last edited by Ian - G4JQT; 8th Jan 2022 at 3:05 pm.
Old 8th Jan 2022, 3:18 pm   #25
Endckr111
Triode

Cheers Ian, that makes sense, think it might be try one see what happens, and if that doesn’t work fit another!
I will hang on awhile and see if anyone has renovated a set before, and come up with some values that work! ect
C11 & C2 are the misfits, suggestions please
Thanks
Mark

Last edited by Endckr111; 8th Jan 2022 at 3:24 pm.
Old 8th Jan 2022, 3:53 pm   #26
Herald1360
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinmaxwell View Post
Quote:
Love it!

Iron, perhaps?
I before E unless you have an L in the middle and the first letter isn't an F, or so I remember.

There was I thinking that if toroids leak field, it would be logical for toriods to leak filed.
Possibly known as the " typo" effect?

.........O..Chris....O
Closed Thread