UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Jan 2022, 6:25 pm   #1
Malcolm T
Hexode

Default Mystery capacitor values

Digging through some caps I find these, can someone help me with identifying the values please as the n designation is a bit of a mystery. I know its nano-farad but I'm still not clear on the actual value. Ta.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cap1.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	249074   Click image for larger version

Name:	cap2.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	249075   Click image for larger version

Name:	cap3.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	249076  

Last edited by Station X; 5th Jan 2022 at 7:01 pm. Reason: Images rotated.
Old 5th Jan 2022, 6:55 pm   #2

Default Re: Mystery capacitor values

The multiplier, lets use "n" as it is the first one, is often used as a decimal point, n47F would be 0.47nF or 470pF and with a 350V rating seems more than plausible.

Old 5th Jan 2022, 6:59 pm   #3
Malcolm T
Hexode

Ah I took it as 0.47 Farads but thought that would be huge!
I'm really miffed by some of these new designations, why couldn't they keep things as they were?
Old 6th Jan 2022, 5:52 pm   #4
G6fylneil
Pentode

The F is the tolerance, 1% in this case.
Old 6th Jan 2022, 11:19 pm   #5
Skywave
Rest in Peace

This might help.

First, prefixes denoting sub-units.
p = 10^-12; n = 10^-9; µ = 10^-6; m = 10^-3, where the notation 10^-n means 10 raised to the power of -n. Hence, pF, nF and µF. (For capacitors, mF is rare).

So, 100 pF = 0.1 nF
1,000pF = 1 nF = 0.001 µF
10,000 pF = 10 nF = 0.01 µF
100,000 pF = 100 nF = 0.1 µF

Therefore, 1n5 = 1,500 pF, as an example of a number after the n.

There is an alternative way of 'decoding' prefixes using basic arithmetic; example:
1,000 nF = 1 x 10^-3 x 10^-9 = 1 x 10^-6 = 1 µF

A few days ago, whilst having a tidy-up, I found a capacitor marked 15,000 pF. A quick bit of mental arithmetic converted that to 15 nF, which from the above, is 0.015 µF.

HTH,
Al.

Last edited by Skywave; 6th Jan 2022 at 11:31 pm.
Old 6th Jan 2022, 11:27 pm   #6
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm T View Post
I'm really miffed by some of these new designations, why couldn't they keep things as they were?
The physical size of capacitors today is a lot less than those of the 1950s / 1960s. Consequently, if a capacitor is 1,500 pF, there will often be insufficient room to write that 1,500 pF on it, so 1n5 F - or just 1n5 - gets written instead, the 'F' being understood.

Al.
Old 7th Jan 2022, 12:01 am   #7
Jolly 7
Octode

I heavily rely upon my cheap component tester, when I am in the slightest doubt about component values. I have made mistakes with values in the past and also found that aging capacitors, both ceramic and electrolytic, can have significantly different values from their markings. Many multimeters struggle to read lower value capacitors, which is where the component testers come in handy.

Recently I got some modern 0.047 uF axial capacitors rated for 630 V. As Skywave observes, I was very surprised at their minute size compared to other similarly rated older capacitors in my parts box.
Old 7th Jan 2022, 9:35 pm   #8
Lucien Nunes
Rest in Peace

Quote:
I was very surprised at their minute size compared to other similarly rated older capacitors
The size depends as much (or more) on what dielectric is used, as on the age. So if you compare a modern polyester capacitor with an old paper one, yes it will be smaller. Just as a metalled polyester will be smaller than a film-and-foil version and much smaller than polypropylene.

But a modern paper-in-oil cap won't be much smaller than an old paper cap, and an old polyester (e.g. C280 or C296) won't be much bigger than a modern film-and-foil polyester.

Ultimately the size is determined mostly by the permittivity and dielectric strength of the dielectric, and these parameters haven't changed over time for any given material.
Old 8th Jan 2022, 1:26 pm   #9
Jolly 7
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien Nunes View Post
Quote:
I was very surprised at their minute size compared to other similarly rated older capacitors
The size depends as much (or more) on what dielectric is used, as on the age. So if you compare a modern polyester capacitor with an old paper one, yes it will be smaller. Just as a metalled polyester will be smaller than a film-and-foil version and much smaller than polypropylene.

But a modern paper-in-oil cap won't be much smaller than an old paper cap, and an old polyester (e.g. C280 or C296) won't be much bigger than a modern film-and-foil polyester.

Ultimately the size is determined mostly by the permittivity and dielectric strength of the dielectric, and these parameters haven't changed over time for any given material.

I am attaching a picture of one of my functioning old capacitors. What type is this ? Is it not metallised polyester ? It's approximately 35 mm long with diameter of 15 mm.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20220108_121551.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	249283  
Old 8th Jan 2022, 1:49 pm   #10
Maarten
Dekatron

That's likely a paper capacitor. Some are betters than others, I think this is a rubber ended industrial quality type but once the tiniest amount of humidity gets in, it is done for.
Old 8th Jan 2022, 2:02 pm   #11
Lucien Nunes
Rest in Peace

I agree that is probably a metallised paper capacitor, I have seen these Matsushita parts marked 'No PCBs' in reference to the impregnant not being the nasty polychlorinated oil. It is rated for 450V AC mains duty, as shown by the safety approval marks and in certain applications ought to be replaced with an X-rated equivalent. Its non-safety DC rating might be as high as 1kV.
Old 8th Jan 2022, 3:32 pm   #12
Jolly 7
Octode

Thanks for the responses. The capacitor is not too far off its rated value, I desoldered it to test. It's running between the on/off potentiometer and the internal/ external modulation switch of my signal generator. From the circuit it does not appear to have any high voltage across it and may solely be related to modulating the 400 Hz audio tone onto RF. I think I will probably leave it in situ as there are no problems with AF or RF signals at present.

I have attached a picture of the modern capacitor that might be a suitable replacement in case it's required in the future.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20220108_142225.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	249293  
Closed Thread