UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 24th Dec 2021, 8:26 pm   #1
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Front Panel Protection.

If you're looking for a cheap source of clear acrylic sheet to protect printed decals etc. on your homebrew projects - pop down to your local garage and see if they have any old car number-plates.

Old cars often fail the MoT because water's got in between the plastic faceplate and the reflective backing - but if you peel the backing and letters/numbers away you're left with a nice piece of clear acrylic about 2.5mm thick, which makes a great front-plate!

It's sufficiently thick that you can bore large holes in it to go round the typically-deep retaining-nuts on potentiometers etc so the knobs can be fitted flush to the front-plate rather than needing to stand proud for clearance of the knob-nuts. Same applies to jack-sockets.

I'm currently experimenting with edge-lighting the plastic and reverse-engraving scales etc on the back of the acrylic so the engraving is highlighted by the light from the LEDs. maybe using UV LEDs and filling the engraving with some UV-fluorescent material could give an interesting effect?