UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Dec 2021, 11:43 pm   #21
David Church
Banned

Default Re: RWB December, is it happening ?

Fantastic day, some really great bargains in the auction.

Shame the M4 was closed all day, but even with events conspiring against some getting there, the horse trading was as good as ever, and the auction had some real quality lots.

The COSMOS VR4 'CRUET SET' was a thing of beauty, it was the incredibly rare AC version. £1600 was out of my reach at the moment but given the rarity and condition it was worth more IMO.

Of all my buys the GECoPhone headphones distribution unit was probably the best addition to my collection, and the GPO Morse key is going next to the Royal Doulton nonsense on the mantlepiece! The Ekco AC74 was to good to pass up so need to find a bit of room.

In recognition of all he has done over the years for the BVWS Mike Barker was made honorary life president. The award was made by the chairman Greg and it was great to see Mikes partner Jim acknowledged for the support he has given over the years. The best bit was Mike (almost) lost for words!

Jeremy Day was also given a token of the societies appreciation for his sterling efforts over the years.

It is great to be back and looking forward to next years events.
Old 6th Dec 2021, 12:48 am   #22
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

Thanks to everyone it was a really enjoyable and interesting day meeting up with everyone again. The catering was up to its usual high standards.
Old 6th Dec 2021, 8:52 am   #23
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Church View Post
In recognition of all he has done over the years for the BVWS Mike Barker was made honorary life president. The award was made by the chairman Greg and it was great to see Mikes partner Jim acknowledged for the support he has given over the years. The best bit was Mike (almost) lost for words!

Jeremy Day was also given a token of the societies appreciation for his sterling efforts over the years.
Great news. Both thoroughly deserved.
Old 6th Dec 2021, 10:55 am   #24
Squipper
Pentode

A great day given the current issues with the world.

I went with the intention of not buying much. Happily I failed...

A clutch of Roberts RM radios from the auction, a Marconi VTVM, a 1949 Double Decca... the list goes on (quite a bit ).
Special thanks to Neil for cutting me a great deal on a multi-buy

Great to see Mike falter for words... I've never known that... congratulations on your life Presidency! - well deserved, and a fab recognition for all the work you have done.

Best was catching up with old friends, and making a few new ones.

Thanks to all involved for the organisation - and looking forward to biggerer and bettererer in 2022.

PAUL - BVWS Member
Old 6th Dec 2021, 12:21 pm   #25
newlite4
Octode

Yes, superb day out, lovely to be able to meet up with everyone again and do some " special offer bundle deals". Grateful to everyone for visiting my stall and having a chat and relieving me of some of my stock. Only my third event this year so I have been keen to move things on. I bought a nice Cropico digital milliohmeter and a beautifully made "shed built" crystal set in the auction (I will put a post on that in the forum at a later time).
Many thanks as always to the organisers for making it happen, can't wait for next year!
Neil
Old 6th Dec 2021, 12:22 pm   #26
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybrid tellies View Post
Thanks to everyone it was a really enjoyable and interesting day meeting up with everyone again. The catering was up to its usual high standards.
I would like to add my congratulations to Mike Barker being made Honorary Life President. Well deserved for all the hard work he has put in over the years.
Old 6th Dec 2021, 1:42 pm   #27
greenstar
Octode

Yes, a great day, stalls and auction, thanks to all who brought their stuff and those who made it happen.
A most enjoyable day.
More than I can say for those who control the roads! I met two long diversions on the way and fortunately was able to get back via the M6/A34, having found the Fosse northwards closed off - at least that end of the M6 was open.
Old 6th Dec 2021, 2:45 pm   #28
Valvepower
Octode

Well, that was a grand day out Gromit…

Thanks to all at the BVWS for a grand day out. After two years of waiting the first purchase on Jeremy’s stall was just like my first purchase at my first Swapmeet!

Well deserved awards for Mike, Jim, and Jeremy. Maybe Mike and Jim should take Jeremy's ‘Ekco Works’, tram sign and have a break at the Ekco Works! the one problem being, the ‘Ekco Works’ is now a housing estate!

Anyway, good to meet some folks and buy some stuff of Neil's stall and some Maka Switches and Mains XLR plugs from Jeremy’s stall.

Left Mike a rather ‘ratty’ open circuit output transformer to rewind for a future article in the Bulletin.

Finally, I’m now the proud owner of the Tascam Portastudio, so… “it’s Yo Dudes, cap on backwards and to go and mix some crucial tracks with some wicked bass” anyway, good to see real VU meters though…

From a 1941 Marconi valve to a Portastudio – that’s a true mixture of technologies!

Terry

Last edited by Valvepower; 6th Dec 2021 at 2:53 pm.
Old 6th Dec 2021, 9:44 pm   #29
turretslug
Dekatron

I did a mild bit of umming and aahing (Covid resurgance, cold, wet, generally miserable! etc.) but glad I went in the end, once again an entertaining medley of vintage stuff and a bit of chat on the stalls. Something I find again and again at vintage meets is that something you'd been looking for for yonks but had given up on as wishful thinking turns up out of the blue in an oddments box- accompanied by a couple of confirmatory blinks! This time, an Eddystone IFT and a couple of valves of an entirely different type to the sort that gets discussed here. The M4 was a hindrance in both directions, but then it's been that way pretty much since I got my driving licence...

Colin
Old 7th Dec 2021, 4:08 pm   #30
neil29
Heptode

I did go and i bought some caps from the BVWS stall and a big power supply from Brian. but as i never had much money and the fact i've had a bad back since last friday put a bit of a dampener on things for me. but nice to see people again even if you couldn't see their faces properly.

Cheers
Neil.
Old 7th Dec 2021, 5:44 pm   #31
Pamphonica
Nonode

After an exhausting bout of a (non-Covid) virus, it was lovely to get out again and see old friends. We managed to raise over £200 for the MCR21 restoration which was a good result, and my three items in the auction all sold.
A huge thank you to Mike and the team for getting this long-awaited event back running again. The mince pies flowed, and Jim was doing his usual cullinary ballet in the kitchen.
Those who were there were delighted to see presentations to Jeremy Day (BVWS outgoing long-time Treasurer) and to Mike and Jim, who are still the bedrock of our society, even after all these decades of service.
Mike will hopefully accept his new title of Honorary Life President of the BVWS, and be our titular head henceforth, but with no committee duties (promise!).
Old 8th Dec 2021, 12:46 pm   #32
Herald1360
Dekatron

I acquired, amongst other auction buys, a neat miniature Japanese valve radio for a fiver with LW as well as BC. Unfortunately(?) it came with a stall load of non negotiable other stuff! Anyone fancy a 30" chrome plated air horn? An Aldis film strip projector? A magnificent Muirhead 0-1000pF precision airspaced variable capacitor with a lovely slow motion drive? (Similar to this one: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/....php?p=1077056 ), the odd 100m or so of twin core screened cable? The Landy was well stuffed for the homeward journey

Good to see Mike's recognition too! Long may he continue to squeeze the last drops of blood out of reluctant stones
.........O..Chris....O
Old 8th Dec 2021, 8:15 pm   #33
YoungManGW
Hexode

Delighted that the ‘Ekco Works’ tram blind went down so well.
Regards,
Richard
Old 10th Dec 2021, 10:54 am   #34
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

I did aquire a Panasonic RF-B60L portable communications radio from Chris Wood. This dates from 1989-1992. I have not had to much time to play with it yet but initial tests show its working as new.
When things quieten down during or after the holidays I am looking forward to putting it through its paces and compare it with my other slightly newer radios from the Sony, Grundig and Degen stables.
Like all radios pf this class it is rather complex which is clearly shown in the service manual. Thanks Chris for that link.
Old 11th Dec 2021, 9:29 am   #35
Radiocruncher
Hexode

This was a great day out. Fortunately google maps told us of the M4 issue. We came off at Chippenham junction and went the back way in.

I went hoping to find a German peoples set and wasn’t disappointed as managed to win a lovely condition VE301W in the auction. I picked up loads of other sets and some bizarre things that I didn’t want or need. The car was jam packed and I’ve now got loads of content for my YouTube channel.

Also thanks to George Christofi who kindly transported my Murphy A272C to the event. I’m really looking forward to restoring that one.

Great to meet up with friends old and new and I will certainly be back next year.

Regards

Graham
Old 15th Dec 2021, 1:05 pm   #36
Valvepower
Octode

Hello,

The Wotton Bassett meet seems to be a in a dream, and I’m left with the feeling. ‘Did it really happen’ – I know it did – however, I must pinch myself and say, “yes, it really did”

Again, thanks for all who ran it, as it was a shaft of welcoming light in the rather grey world, we all currently find ourselves in.

Anyway, being positive and optimistic, its onwards and upwards and looking forward to the meets next year

Regards
Terry
Old 15th Dec 2021, 4:47 pm   #37
Cobaltblue

I think we all agree with Terrys sentiments for more great meets next year.

As this event is now well passed its time to close.

Cheers

Mike T
Closed Thread