UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 10th Jun 2021, 9:56 pm   #1
unitelex
Hexode

Default Method for colouring and texturing epoxy resin

I found by experiment that I could tint normally clear epoxy resin very easily using laser toner powder (laser printer).

I needed to achieve a dark anthracite colour to fill in a chipped surface.
I am aware that black epoxy is available but did not have any nor did I want to purchase a tube especially for this very small job.

I used black toner powder, added while mixing the clear adhesive and hardener together. While setting I noticed that the result was going to end up too glossy compared to the base material so while it was still tacky I dusted the surface with more toner giving a matt look. The results were surprisingly good.

I have not tried with magenta, blue or yellow toner or any blending of these.

Best Regards
Chris
Old 11th Jun 2021, 12:08 pm   #2
emeritus
Dekatron

Default Re: Method for colouring and texturing epoxy resin

When I was a student, in the lab at STC where I did work experience, every bench had a small tool box which included a pack of Araldite and a small jar of Titanium Oxide powder that they used to mix with the Araldite where a white finish was required. I have coloured Araldite brown to fix some earthenware plant pots by grinding a piece of broken pot in my wife's kitchen pestle and mortar to a very fine powder.
Old 14th Jun 2021, 5:34 pm   #3
greenstar
Octode

I wonder how to achieve a brown bakelite colour and whether filing/grinding bakelite to mix with it would achieve that? I guess this has been done effectively.
Old 19th Jun 2021, 1:07 pm   #4
chriswood1900
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenstar View Post
I wonder how to achieve a brown bakelite colour and whether filing/grinding bakelite to mix with it would achieve that? I guess this has been done effectively.
I think you might need to be careful where you get the old Bakelite from, as some used asbestos fibres as the filler and if ground up they may present a health hazard.
Old 28th Aug 2021, 9:59 pm   #5
vintage_8bit
Heptode

Unhappy Re: Method for colouring and texturing epoxy resin

Today I was repairing a garden water feature clay pot. I used Araldite rapid. I coloured it with a couple of drops of Bolgers spirit based wood dye. It mixed easily and the mixture cured as normal. I was quite pleased with the result, more for thoughts on future use. Colin
Old 28th Aug 2021, 10:47 pm   #6
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage_8bit View Post
Today I was repairing a garden water feature clay pot. I used Araldite rapid. I coloured it with a couple of drops of Bolgers spirit based wood dye. It mixed easily and the mixture cured as normal. I was quite pleased with the result, more for thoughts on future use. Colin
It might be the case that a solvent colourant additive could have a more uncertain effect on the adhesive strength than a finely powdered solid. I bet that somewhere in the Arts and Craft world there is just the right stuff.

B
Old 29th Aug 2021, 2:01 am   #7
Refugee
Dekatron

Where I live you can dig up clay that is a good match for plant pot repairs once dries and mixed with epoxy.
Old 26th Sep 2021, 7:04 pm   #8
Ernest1
Triode

I found cheap watercolour paints crushed up work well and the range of colours are easier to get close.
Old 26th Sep 2021, 9:48 pm   #9
kellys_eye
Octode

I've seen methods of colouring PVC using wax dyes which would seem to suggest they would mix well with epoxy. Since these dyes are all available in a full pantone range (many suppliers will make a mix to your requirement) the options seem endless.

Getting hold of a CMYKW selection (cyan, magenta, yellow, black and white) should allow anyone to mix 'any colour' on spec.

You can also get 'glitter' in gold/silver - almost powder-like - to make a metallic finish.
Closed Thread