UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Dec 2021, 3:36 pm   #1
Wendymott
Octode

Default Switched attenuator

Hi Peeps.. Another thread in Test Equipment re how to measure 50uV, prompted me to "blather" about the switched attenuator I made as an accessory for the Spectrum Analyser .
All resistors are SMD 0805 types and the switches are minature DPDT toggle.
I copied the values from data already published..... I just added my slant to the proceedings.
As can be seen from the photo's its pretty flat to 150Mhz, but after 175 Mhz it goes a bit iffy. (Less lossy)
The PCB artwork was generated on a previous package which is not now available, so if anyone is interested I will need to re do it on Diptrace.

There is a discrepancy with the lower values of switch position which need to be looked at.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Complete assy.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	248552   Click image for larger version

Name:	40dB atten.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	248553   Click image for larger version

Name:	20dB atten.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	248554   Click image for larger version

Name:	All switches down.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	248555   Click image for larger version

Name:	SCH .jpg
Views:	147
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	248557  

Regards
Wendy G8BZY

Last edited by Wendymott; 29th Dec 2021 at 3:40 pm. Reason: Added sch..
Old 29th Dec 2021, 8:43 pm   #2
kellys_eye
Octode

Default Re: Switched attenuator

Just curious - why did you use those specific steps - as opposed to (say) a 1 - 2 - 2 - 5 or even 1 - 2 - 4 - 8 etc?

I started an attenuator project that used a rotary selector to step 0-128dB (1dB steps) with LCD readout based on an Elektor design that I 'must' complete some time....
Old 30th Dec 2021, 1:45 am   #3
Skywave
Rest in Peace

The sequence, in ohms, of 1,1,3,5,10,10 requires 6 switches and gives a range of 1 dB to 30 dB in 1 dB steps.

Al.
Old 30th Dec 2021, 8:49 am   #4
kellys_eye
Octode

6 switches in a 1, 2, 4, 8, 16 and 32dB setting gives 1-63dB in 1dB steps (0r to 31dB in FIVE).

Just sayin'
Old 30th Dec 2021, 8:52 am   #5
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Interesting...but I've made a promise to my one remaining good eye that no SMD components shall cross our threshold .

B
Old 30th Dec 2021, 1:09 pm   #6
Wendymott
Octode

Haa Haa Baz.... I use a bench magnifier, and also a closeup lens at times....To the others...I am quite happy with the arrangement, you have your ideas,..Al.. I wanted up to 60dB.. The nice thing is... the published info.. allows any choice.
I re checked the atten at 10 Mhz and the lower ranges were "spot on"... obviously a frequency thing..still I use the 20 + 20 +10 mostly, and they are good up to +175 Mhz

Regards
Wendy G8BZY
Old 30th Dec 2021, 2:05 pm   #7
kellys_eye
Octode

Not poo-pooing your design/choice at all Wendy - sorry for the distraction! However I do understand that losses can be more severe in the actual switches if you don't get the right part? How much of that is true and what version/manufacturer did you choose/use?

The attenuator I have (binary-step sequence) uses 1% thru-hole 1/4 watt in deference to my eyes! and miniature double-pole relays so switch choice is pretty much irrelevant and can even be remote from the board.

The last section (64dB) made from two series-connected 32dB pads given how the higher atten ranges are more difficult to 'resistor-up'.

What I do lack, however, is the test equipment to prove its quality. Maybe on next years Christmas list :lol:
Old 31st Dec 2021, 4:32 pm   #8
Wendymott
Octode

Hi Kelly's eye... Its ok.. if we post we / I always expect, or should, additional comments that add to the discussion. I did have an Adret Signal generator 0.1 - 1 Ghz... the Attenuator was a series of switched attenuators, using Dual micro reed relays..... with LOTS of compensation trimmer caps between each section. As the attenuator was way too big physically I repurposed it. I never intended this attenuator to be anything but a "go to" for my Siglent Analyser, to prevent serious overloads that can occur...I am not in the professional league by any stretch of imagination

Regards
Wendy G8BZY
Old 15th Jan 2022, 9:17 pm   #9
rjmusto
Pentode

Location: Mountain Castle, Modeligo, County Waterford, Republic of Ireland.

Hi Wendy,

I’d like to make myself one of these, so may i ask if you have any Gerber files available?

Many thanks,
Ralph
EI2KU
Old 16th Jan 2022, 2:46 pm   #10
Wendymott
Octode

Hi Ralph. Sorry for the delay. Is it just typical... the pcb you requested I cannot find...? What I can do.. is Re generate it for you.. but that will take a couple of hours.. So hang fire and it will be with you.

Regards
Wendy G8BZY
Old 16th Jan 2022, 4:06 pm   #11
rjmusto
Pentode

Location: Mountain Castle, Modeligo, County Waterford, Republic of Ireland.

Brilliant, thanks
Closed Thread