UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Jan 2021, 12:49 pm   #21
Beardyman
Hexode

Default Re: What's your focus?

I've had an interest in electronics since I was but a small lad, about 7 or 8 I think. It's given me a good career, a much greater understanding in general but the valves crept in when I had a Saturday job at a local music shop when I was about 16-17 years old. Mainly Marshall amps at the time. The tech's there had an unlimited well of patience, they explained everything they were doing & why. Off to college I went! At that time the digital revolution was just beginning & my various jobs led me down that path, the valves were forgotten until I found myself with enough spare time, resources & space to pursue them! That was only about 6-7 years ago! My focus is, I suppose, fairly general. I don't collect from any one era although I have radios from the 30's to the 60's in my collection. Nor do I collect any one make, saying that, it does seem I have more Bush sets than anything else! I try to return them to how they would look when new, I'm not always successful but each one teach's me something. On the to-do pile is an HMV1128, Tesla 308U, Ever-Ready Sky King, a Philips (50's I think) & a small GEC. I count myself fortunate that my better half actively encourages my hobby, she loves them & delights in hearing them work again. Another aspect is the sheer variance in styles. Of late a couple of "projects" have sprung up, as they do, one involving an old (early 30's I'm led to believe) Philco radiogram. But that's another story altogether!
Old 25th Jan 2021, 3:16 pm   #22
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyNut View Post
As with so many collectors space always seem to become an issue at some stage.
I sometimes think that radio collectors have it easy. Here are a couple of photos of some medium-sized items in my collection. Can you tell I'm not married
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PDP8E_System.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	225355   Click image for larger version

Name:	Compact_11730.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	225356  
Old 25th Jan 2021, 3:24 pm   #23
Wendymott
Octode

My Focus is a bit "blurry" too.... its been a great "ride".... From 19 sets as an apprentice, to the Siglent SAA3000 spectrum analyser of today.
When I retired one of my aims was to "go back" to my apprentice days of Valve radio and TV's of the 50's 60's eras , I bought or obtained lots of wooden cased radio's of that era, I also bought several Eddystone receivers, which were revered at that time. However.. the gloss dulled, and I returned to more modern technology of today. The valve stuff was either given away or sold for peanuts, which is the same thing, and all the "bust a gut" Eddy's went too, except for a couple of EC10's which have been re purposed. Where the next 10 years will take me is any ones guess.. wooden overcoat ?

Regards
Wendy G8BZY
Old 25th Jan 2021, 6:18 pm   #24
Tim
Dekatron

For me I guess it would be tape recorders, followed by radios and vintage test equipment( the latter being all I could usually afford/find/borrow).
For some reason tellies just don’t float my boat. I do have a soft spot for the Decca Bradford though, as we had one for many years.
Old 25th Jan 2021, 6:39 pm   #25
stevehertz
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
For me I guess it would be tape recorders, followed by radios and vintage test equipment( the latter being all I could usually afford/find/borrow).
For some reason tellies just don’t float my boat. I do have a soft spot for the Decca Bradford though, as we had one for many years.
Teles can be like Marmite. For example, I have no interest whatsoever in sets that have latterly become known as vintage sets such as dual standard sets or even later ones. I used to collect real old teles from the late 40s with 9" screens and also pre war sets with 5" screens and amazing, veneered art deco cabinets. I just have a Bush TV22a now tele-wise. But of course we're all different and that's what's so interesting reading about other peoples' focus in the world of vintage audio and video. One man's meat is another man's poison.
Old 25th Jan 2021, 7:06 pm   #26
agardiner
Octode

Always loved electronics and always loved radio. Spent much of my career mending TVs and would have said that was my favorite item to work on.

These days though, I don't have the space, so focus on radios only. I don't have the room to collect, so just repair and restore. Anything radio, from the wonders of valves to the most modern DAB ****. Still get a kick out of making the broken work again.
Old 25th Jan 2021, 11:13 pm   #27
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehertz View Post

Teles can be like Marmite. For example, I have no interest whatsoever in sets that have latterly become known as vintage sets such as dual standard sets or even later ones. I used to collect real old teles from the late 40s with 9" screens and also pre war sets with 5" screens and amazing, veneered art deco cabinets. I just have a Bush TV22a now tele-wise. But of course we're all different and that's what's so interesting reading about other peoples' focus in the world of vintage audio and video. One man's meat is another man's poison.
I can identify with that.

For me, I don't want to re-live the time when I was repairing the damn things in the 70s and 80s, it's more like acting out my childhood with an early 50s 405 line set with a round tube displaying Andy Pandy.
Old 25th Jan 2021, 11:48 pm   #28
Andrew2
Nonode

Having jumped out of my pram and straight away started 'messing with batteries, bulbs and buzzers' as my mum put it, I moved onto radio experiments and built a number of crystal sets. Then for my tenth birthday I got a Trionic set, with which I could build different projects. But it was always the radios I was interested in!
After school and college, it was a job in a family-owned TV shop and then an Amateur Radio licence. That's when I started collecting, mainly transistor sets from the late 50's and early 60's and with a special fascination for pocket sets, especially the nifty Japanese types. I still have a small collection to this day and they have now been joined by a handful of Sinclair products, including an original Cambridge calculator (which still works) and an FTV1 mini TV (which doesn't), along with a stray Z30 amplifier from my old homebrew stereo.
I don't collect so much these days, preferring to spend my time fiddling and building intriguing gizmos like bat detectors but if I see something nice at a car boot sale I'll usually weaken. So I don't really gave a focus, it's just whatever takes my fancy as long as it's small!

Last edited by Andrew2; 25th Jan 2021 at 11:53 pm.
Old 27th Jan 2021, 9:56 pm   #29
William78
Triode

My focus has mainly been radio. It started like a lot of people, rummaging in rubbish dumps and wondering how the valves and other components made, what always seemed to be discarded televisions, work.

Later at school I made the 1972 Ladybird Book -Transistor Radio. I then played with various radios that were given to me until finally I was given a Murphy B40D supplied by Howard Turner of Centre Electronics for my 21st birthday.

What a difference that was. The ability to tune accurately to any frequency within its range. No overloading with a longwire aerial, even ssb was easy to receive. I still have the B40 today.
Three Eddystones have since joined the collection, all valved.

I also have "a few" transistor hi-fi tuners which I sometimes use for Band 2 FM dxing.

Recently I bought a SDRplay RSP1A which although not vintage shows you visually how things work such as pass band tuning and how narrow bandwidths can chop off the sidebands on signals.

William
Old 28th Jan 2021, 1:47 pm   #30
Malcolm G6ANZ
Octode

I've always been interested in electronics in general but never ventured into the repairing of domestic TVs. I was licenced as G8KGH and later managed the tv transmitter licence as G6ANZ/T, hence my username. I am now restarting the ATV interest and my old vision rack is up and running. Most of the cards are from an old EMI CT scanner duly modified to produce colour signals. The colour PAL coders are ex BBC 'white modules'.

Malcolm
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Vision Rack.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	142.8 KB
ID:	225449   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vision rack 2.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	225450  
Old 28th Jan 2021, 3:31 pm   #31
Dave757
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by William78 View Post

Later at school I made the 1972 Ladybird Book -Transistor Radio. I then played with various radios that were given to me until finally I was given a Murphy B40D supplied by Howard Turner of Centre Electronics for my 21st birthday.

William
Hi William,

I am a very old friend of Howard Turner, and I can remember the
days when he had a couple of walls behind his shop completely
covered with stacked B40s.

I had one of him too, and I particularly remember him unloading
them from his Morris estate car, and carrying them into his shop
one in each hand. One was enough for me!

Kind regards
Dave
Closed Thread