UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Mar 2022, 5:06 pm   #21
paulsherwin

Default Re: BBC WS restarts SW services

Discussion of this is fine so long as we don't discuss the politics. Everyone has been responsible in that respect so far.

I've just tried to listen on a Grundig Concert Boy 225 and just got noise and interference. It's very much a domestic set though, and the environment is electrically noisy.

https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/grundi...t_boy_225.html
Old 3rd Mar 2022, 5:10 pm   #22
ms660
Dekatron

Wooferton:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QovPkM35aF0

Lawrence.
Old 3rd Mar 2022, 5:57 pm   #23
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

I've been trying to listen on my Yaesu FT897D and 14MHz dipole but not heard them.

Have also been listening on the supposed Russian military frequencies listed here: https://www.reddit.com/r/ukraine/com...o_frequencies/

and here: https://k0lwc.com/monitoring-the-air...nian-conflict/
Old 3rd Mar 2022, 6:00 pm   #24

I am going to try 15735 tonight. Told our Polish lady about this, she is going to pass it on to those who need to know. She was very pleased as her brother is "putting up" a couple of Ukrainian families in his large house in Poland, top chap. Also she said that the Russians are given a load of drivel, this will tell some them a better (the best?) version of what is going on. Good old Aunty Beeb,

I realy feel for the Ukrainians, may this stop soon.

Old 3rd Mar 2022, 6:29 pm   #25
PJC58-Hythe
Heptode

merlinmaxwell these are the schedules:

1400 UTC to 1600 UTC @ 15735kHz
2000 UTC to 2200 UTC @ 5875 kHz

you will need to listen on 5875kHz not 15735kHz

http://www.retroworkshop.co.uk
Old 3rd Mar 2022, 7:28 pm   #26
Hartley118
Nonode

Clear (but not strong) reception on the AR88 this afternoon in Cambridge, using the Wellbrook loop orientated to minimise local QRM. Interesting though that the character of fading made it sound pretty distant. Was I picking up a reflection?

Martin
Old 3rd Mar 2022, 8:27 pm   #27
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartley118 View Post
Was I picking up a reflection?
Maybe a side-lobe.

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 3rd Mar 2022, 8:41 pm   #28
Doghouse Riley
No Longer a Member

I would suggest that the average Ukrainian, much like a resident of this country, hasn't got a shortwave radio receiver.
Old 3rd Mar 2022, 8:54 pm   #29
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doghouse Riley View Post
I would suggest that the average Ukrainian, much like a resident of this country, hasn't got a shortwave radio receiver.
Indeed: but there have been deliveries of rather-more-modern comms-stuff to the war-zone.

https://www.latimes.com/business/tec...nisters-thanks
Old 3rd Mar 2022, 9:21 pm   #30
Radio Wrangler

5875kHz peaking S9 +40dB here. Huge signal. Carrier level seems topump with modulation so it seems to be a modern enhanced efficiency AM transmitter.

120 foot doublet into balanced ATU and ICOM IC7700.

David
Old 3rd Mar 2022, 9:24 pm   #31
paulsherwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doghouse Riley View Post
There are an awful lot of radios with at least basic SW coverage still floating around, even if they've not been used on SW for ages. The USSR used SW a lot because of the distances involved, and many of the sets from that era have good SW performance.
Old 3rd Mar 2022, 9:28 pm   #32

Peter, you are right, my typo, listening on 5875 kHz now, not the best signal a lot of fade etc. much better in synchronous AM on the SSRplay, but then it isn't aimed at me, let's hope it is better (I am sure it will be) in the area aimed at.

Quote:
Yes indeed, I would guess 1 in 10 to 100, still it is getting there.

I admit I am very worried about the situation (nukes et al) hearing the Beeb on shortwave is somehow comforting.

Old 3rd Mar 2022, 9:32 pm   #33
paulsherwin

I think David in Fife must be much closer to the beam than most of us, though he has good kit.
Old 3rd Mar 2022, 9:32 pm   #34

Paul (Sherwin) you have gladened my heart reducing my 1 in 10/100 estimate.

Old 3rd Mar 2022, 9:37 pm   #35
paulsherwin

I reckon about a third of my transistor sets have SW coverage, and more than half of the valve sets. I'd happily hand them out to the community in similar circumstances.
Old 3rd Mar 2022, 9:48 pm   #36
Radio Wrangler

Local QRM has come up and the signal has now started fading quite badly Fade dips are about 2 seconds apart. Difficult to follow with missing syllables.

Let's try faster AGC.... nope, slower is better. Wonder if the QRM is pumping my AGC?... Yes a bit, also some front end attenuation helps a bit. De-noising algorithm doesn't help.

Looks like we had a good clear patch at 29:21 zulu.

We're not the target area. I hope it's good and clear in both Ukraine and Russia where it's needed. It makes interesting listening.

David
Old 3rd Mar 2022, 10:25 pm   #37
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post

Let's try faster AGC.... nope, slower is better. Wonder if the QRM is pumping my AGC?... Yes a bit, also some front end attenuation helps a bit. De-noising algorithm doesn't help.
Transmitter probs has 6db Amplitude Modulated Companding on it so 100% mod envelope equates to same as unmodulated carrier, squishing down the way with modulation and so uses your (the listeners') AGC to sort it out.

There'll be Optimod on there too.

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 3rd Mar 2022, 11:59 pm   #38
Radio Wrangler

Thanks, Russel, that fits with what I saw. I was using a bandpass FFT with a small enough bucket size to discriminate between carrier and sideband energy on a waterfall display, so I could see the carrier ducking at the syllabic rate.

I think I'm a member of a very small club.... those who have designed a full-fat AM transmitter in the 21st century. It's amazing how the available power devices are all targeted at linear amplification. Low limits on negative gate swing (protection zener - note singular) prevents good Class-C operation.

David
Old 4th Mar 2022, 12:35 am   #39
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

From my limited experience of the eastern bloc, I'd think there is a significantly higher proportion of SW receivers than in the UK. I'd posit this would be especially likely in Ukraine since 2014 with disruption to communications and need for robust and resilient networks. The older technology will certainly be more rugged in this application, and I imagine there are plenty of Soviet-era sets around. I wouldn't be surprised if valve sets were also more prevalent. There are such enormous Soviet stocks of valves and the attitude is less urgently about the 'new'.

I, however, have no SW set in use so will have to dig one out and have a listen. Perhaps it is audible in Cornwall...
Old 4th Mar 2022, 9:10 am   #40
greenstar
Octode

This certainly illustrates the utility of SW broadcasting as a fallback. Perhaps now we won't be so ready to shut down every single remaining transmitter? We need diversity in communications and a backup which isn't easily disrupted.
Closed Thread