UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 24th May 2022, 12:56 pm   #21
G8vsjDave
Pentode

Default Re: Murphy V410

Hi John. The two transformers give different results. With the original Tx I can draw a short spark from the EHT cap while the second Tx, I can't. There may be some activity there but not enough to draw a spark. The condition of the second Tx was not good anyway, it looked like it had leaked oil, the chassis was covered in a film of oily dirt. HT is right, but I did notice the HT current was slightly less with the second Tx. I'll have a play later, but right now, my other half wants things done in the garden. Thanks for your interest.
Dave.
Old 24th May 2022, 5:24 pm   #22
G8vsjDave
Pentode

Well, things are looking up a bit. I've been rained off in the garden so I had another look at the V410. I re-fitted original LOPT and on a whim fitted a different U191 and I was rewarded with a raster. Connect the hedghog and I had a test card - but with picture ballooning on advancing the brightness or contrast. I had this when the set first woke up. Re-fitting the first U191 made things worse so back in went the new one. I then tried a DY802 in place of the U26 - great improvement, no more ballooning. I know the heater requirements are different so I didn't run it for long. I can't help thinking I have an intermittent problem with my line Tx because the pictures I previously posted were taken with the original U191 and U26 and I didn't have any ballooning.
Dave
Old 25th May 2022, 9:16 am   #23
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

The problem is the oil has become contaminated with dampness. There are ways of overcoming this but it's messy and needs care. John.
Old 25th May 2022, 6:38 pm   #24
G8vsjDave
Pentode

Thank you John and Trevor for the hand holding. I've found the thread about the oil change but it seems to working just now so I'll just wait and see what happens. Today I was investigating weak line lock and found a hunts capacitor in the line sync filter that had never been soldered. I changed it anyway and now have good line lock. I'm getting there.
Dave
Old 31st May 2022, 5:56 pm   #25
G8vsjDave
Pentode

The V410 now seems to be behaving it's self and I've sorted out the last two problems which were poor line sync and a video fault. The line sync was due to a capacitor that had never been soldered, and the flywheel sync diodes, which were replace with 1N4007's. The Video fault was due to one of those capacitors that looks like a resistor being O/C. I've almost finished the work on the cabinet and I hope to fully re-assemble the set in the next week. I have noticed some brown spots and slight staining on the CRT mask which will spoil the look. Any advice on how to clean the mask please.
Dave
Old 31st May 2022, 9:43 pm   #26
PYE 405
Pentode

The mask is rubber and is coated. It is almost impossible to clean without removing the coating. If so, then matt off-white spray paint could be used. But make sure it is safe for use on rubber.

Well done for getting your set into the working condition it is in now. You need to keep an eye on the LOPT though. Any hint of ballooning then switch it off. I am almost certain that the oil absorbs a degree of moisture. Hopefully, this will evaporate off as you use the set. To aid this, the small aluminium stopper could be removed. I would only do this whilst it is cold, otherwise the oil might seep out the tiny spout when hot. However, if no problems of ballooning occur, then leave well alone.

I restored one of these a while back and had LOPT problems. They are not fun if you need to open it up. I certainly hope you don't ever need to.

https://www.radios-tv.co.uk/communit...murphy-v410-2/
Old 1st Jun 2022, 7:53 pm   #27
af024
Octode

What a relief Dave - so pleased!!

I'm not sure what to advise when it comes to the rubber mask, but I did get some pretty good results using some household matt emulsion wall paint mixed with some PVA glue with a TV22 mask. I don't know how I got away with it really, because I put the mixture in a spray gun with compressor attached and somehow managed to get a great even coating which to this day is still attached (no sign of any flaking) and the rubber is still behaving itself. It didn't clog the nozzle up either (to my amazement).

Hopefully the rubber mask will let go of the CRT face without too much grief.

Knowing what he cabinets were like on those sets, I can't wait to see what you have managed to do with them. Hopefully to have a reasonable set of Bakelite bits to make up one nice example.

Kind regards,

Andy
Old 7th Jun 2022, 2:02 pm   #28
G8vsjDave
Pentode

Hi folks. Well, I’m pleased with the picture and the set seems to be settling down. I still have some cosmetic work to do on the control panel so I’ve not yet fitted the outer case. I was amazed at the amount of nicotine stain that I removed from the front surround, and even some from the glass front. The CRT mask cleaned quite well with just mild soap. The mask seems to be stuck down and I didn’t want to force it off, so the corners are not as clean as I would have liked.
To re-stuff or not to re-stuff – that is the question. I have to admit that the chassis does look better with re-stuffed capacitors. I’m still working out the best way to do this and so far I have tried just sliding the old capacitor cardboard tube over the replacement and making a tube from an old brown envelope and dipping it in wax. When I’m happy with the finished set I’ll post a few more pictures. Thanks to everyone for the support and thanks to my wife for allowing the dining room to look like a TV workshop.
Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	front.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	258561   Click image for larger version

Name:	back view.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	258562  
Old 7th Jun 2022, 4:25 pm   #29
af024
Octode

That's looking really great Dave.
Old 11th Jun 2022, 12:43 pm   #30
murphyv310
Dekatron

Hi.
I'd not restuff a 410 nor any set that isn't uncommon. The only thing I'd do is to use the black bodied caps that are now widely available rather than the yellow ones.
A tip regarding the knob escutcheons, these are spring loaded and one leg floats, once the knobs are off you can clean them properly and rebuild. The knobs pretension the springs and the cabinet aligns them perfectly and gives the knobs clearance so they don't rub. Mind this is a Murphy and they paid attention to detail.

PS,. Check that the carousel is set to 240v
Old 12th Jun 2022, 12:16 pm   #31
G8vsjDave
Pentode

Well, it’s not perfect, but I’m pleased with it. The only problem I had that was not covered in the forum was a 50Hz modulation of the line phase. At first I blamed that on a supposed dried up capacitor, but it turned out to be the one of the flywheel sync diodes. I replaced them both with 1N4007’s. Thanks to all those who helped with advice. I’m taking a break from Televisions for summer, but my next project will be the renovation of my Ferranti TC1004 cabinet.
Dave
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Cussins.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	258907   Click image for larger version

Name:	TV.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	258908  
Old 12th Jun 2022, 11:48 pm   #32
atsampson
Triode

Nice to see the Cussins label - I think that's the building that's now a Boots, on the corner of King's Square and Church Street.
Old 13th Jun 2022, 8:05 am   #33
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

They were big Murphy agents often mentioned in Murphy News. John.
PS Advert from Murphy News Sept 1953
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	img419.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	151.6 KB
ID:	258970  

Last edited by Heatercathodeshort; 13th Jun 2022 at 8:29 am.
Old 13th Jun 2022, 10:03 am   #34
af024
Octode

What a transformation Dave! It's great to see it like this, well done!