UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Feb 2023, 3:15 pm   #1
Viscount
Heptode

Default Garrard 86SB.

just aquired this deck cheap(£10)need a belt and cart carrier,what are your veiws of these decks ?good or bad?mine seems in very good condition,just wondering thats all
Old 8th Feb 2023, 3:27 pm   #2
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: garrard 86sb

This was a competent, mid-range, mid-price, turntable in its day. There are reviews of this that are searchable online. What cartridge is in it?
Old 8th Feb 2023, 5:40 pm   #3
RojDW48
Nonode

I have had a couple in the past. Good entry level 'transcription' type TT - that was a good price !
Old 8th Feb 2023, 6:24 pm   #4
Viscount
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Huggins View Post
This was a competent, mid-range, mid-price, turntable in its day. There are reviews of this that are searchable online. What cartridge is in it?
it unfortunatly has no cart or carrier,also as mentioned in the op need a belt which is simple enough to get hold of as for the carrier who knows (ive posted a request in the wanted section
Old 8th Feb 2023, 6:32 pm   #5
RojDW48
Nonode

I think the cartridge sled is the same as some of the SP25s - and a few other Garrard models - try The Stylus Lady.
Old 8th Feb 2023, 7:03 pm   #6
Viscount
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by RojDW48 View Post
I think the cartridge sled is the same as some of the SP25s - and a few other Garrard models - try The Stylus Lady.
just been on that site and its out of stock ,have left my details,cheers for the info
Old 8th Feb 2023, 9:20 pm   #7
Cathovisor
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viscount View Post
just aquired this deck cheap(£10)need a belt and cart carrier,what are your veiws of these decks ?good or bad?mine seems in very good condition,just wondering thats all
Good deck as long as the motor hasn't fallen apart! Is yours a Mark 1 with straight arm or Mark 2 with 'S' arm? You may get a carrier from eBay.

I will warn you though that they suffer from hardened grease like any other Garrard and those toggle levers conceal some fiendish mechanics underneath.
Old 8th Feb 2023, 9:21 pm   #8
Cathovisor
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Huggins View Post
As sold, they had the entry-level Shure - the M75-6S.
Old 8th Feb 2023, 9:46 pm   #9
Viscount
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathovisor View Post
Quote:
Good deck as long as the motor hasn't fallen apart! Is yours a Mark 1 with straight arm or Mark 2 with 'S' arm? You may get a carrier from eBay.

I will warn you though that they suffer from hardened grease like any other Garrard and those toggle levers conceal some fiendish mechanics underneath.
yes indeed,ive yet to venture to the underside yet(its in a unit)but i have noticed the auto lever(left side)is very stiff so i will investigate very soon ,just ordered the new belt ,the deck is the one with the straight arm by the way
Old 9th Feb 2023, 2:12 pm   #10
Beobloke
Heptode

The carrier you want is a Garrard type C3. There are indeed a couple on eBay now.

For the belt, again, there are plenty on eBay.
Old 9th Feb 2023, 2:38 pm   #11
Cathovisor
Banned

Quote:
yes indeed,ive yet to venture to the underside yet(its in a unit)but i have noticed the auto lever(left side)is very stiff so i will investigate very soon ,just ordered the new belt ,the deck is the one with the straight arm by the way
Whatever you do, don't force it! When I took my first steps into hi-fi I wanted a Garrard 125SB but couldn't afford it so settled for a SP25 Mk. IV. The 86SB I could only dream of.
Old 9th Feb 2023, 9:01 pm   #12
Viscount
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathovisor View Post
Quote:
Whatever you do, don't force it! When I took my first steps into hi-fi I wanted a Garrard 125SB but couldn't afford it so settled for a SP25 Mk. IV. The 86SB I could only dream of.
Thanks for the info I will take care and hopefully all will be good, will report back ASAP.
Old 11th Feb 2023, 1:19 am   #13
locknut
Pentode

Default Re: Garrard 86SB.

As Cathovisor says, those control levers on the 86SB will snap readily if the mechanism is stuck up with old grease.

I had an 86SB II turntable with the S shaped tonearm back in their heyday, it was a pretty decent turntable for a Garrard, I had a lot of pleasure from it!
Old 18th Feb 2023, 11:03 am   #14
Viscount
Heptode

so new belt arrived a couple of days ago fitting was easy enough,thats were the good news ended,the deck runs fine but the auto start didnt work at all this was partly due to the auto cam was stuck for some reason but with some lubrication it freed off,so now the deck auto ejects at the end of a record which is good,problem now is that when the arm parks in the rest it then move to the centre( without lowering)then back to the park position then switches off as it should,l maybe this is due to the auto start not working ,on a plus point it seems a very well made unit with a very heavy platter which runs super smooth,more investigation at some time
Old 20th Feb 2023, 10:41 am   #15
Viscount
Heptode

all problems now rectified,record selector was sticking so the deck didnt know (so it speak)what size was playing,also auto shut off trip was very slow to operate due to old grease which was cleaned off and re lubed ,works now as it should ,pleased with the end result ,c3 carrier has just arrived so project complete
Old 20th Feb 2023, 5:23 pm   #16
Viscount
Heptode

mods please close
Closed Thread