UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Nov 2022, 10:50 pm   #1
AdrianH
Octode

Default Valve sorting do you use a dBase or spreadsheet?

I am going through my valves, many are pulls etc but some boxed. The problem is I can not remember what I have got so have started to put things into a LibreOffice spreadsheet.

Up to now the columns are
Type, Make, Boxed, New, Used, Comment, Base, Location.

This is not for selling anything and many are not tested so at the moment just to figure what I have,.

I was just wondering what others have done and if any have used a database?

Adrian
Old 5th Nov 2022, 11:23 pm   #2
cathoderay57
Nonode

Default Re: Valve sorting do you use a dBase or spreadsheet?

It can't think what a database would do for you that a spreadsheet wouldn't, and I guess the spreadsheet is marginally simpler; you can sort on type number very easily which helps when visually searching hard copy. On mine I also include test results and enter equivalent numbers which is useful when searching electronically.
Old 6th Nov 2022, 7:22 am   #3
joebog1
Banned

GCstar is already setup for almost any collection you wish.
IF the particular "unit " isnt represented, simply rename a data base that is.
Runs under perl, which is super configurable.

https://gitlab.com/GCstar/

Joe
Old 6th Nov 2022, 7:24 am   #4
joebog1
Banned

fot those that have steam punk powered games machines,
https://en.freedownloadmanager.org/W...star-FREE.html

Joe
Old 6th Nov 2022, 7:26 am   #5
joebog1
Banned

for those that have an abacus:

https://en.freedownloadmanager.org/W...star-FREE.html

Joe
Old 6th Nov 2022, 8:12 am   #6
Robert Gribnau
Heptode

I use three Word-documents, ones for my new valves, one for my used valves and one for my valves in non-diy equipment.

The first two documents have blocks of rows and columns per sort of valve (triode, double diode-triode, etc.). There are four columns in each block, one for the type (AC2, CC2, DC70, etc. in alphabetic order), one for the brand, one for (the meaning of) extra markings on the valve (factory codes, manufacturer, date codes, etc.), and one column which indicates if the valve is available or is being used in one of my builds, and if so, in what build. In the document for my used valves I use either black of green writing per valve. Green indicates that the valve is tested.

The third document has blocks of rows/columns per apparatus, with three columns per block, one for the valve type, one for the brand and one for extra markings.

I keep almost all of my valves in plastic transparent containers, mostly containing only one sort of valve (power pentodes, double triodes, triode-pentodes, etc.). In each container I keep the used valves inside a transparent plastic bag. With this 'system' I never felt the need to register the location of my valves.

I have about 2500 valves in total which I registered this way. Besides that I have a large plastic container with used 10-pin television valves and a carton box with mostly large line duty output valves which I did all sort out but which I didn't test and didn't register yet.

Attached a picture of the corner in our former attic where most of my valves were situated. My valves are currently on transport from The Netherlands to Ghana. I hope they all arrive in good order.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Attic 2014.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	267488  

Last edited by Robert Gribnau; 6th Nov 2022 at 8:20 am. Reason: Addition
Old 6th Nov 2022, 9:14 am   #7
AdrianH
Octode

OK thanks for the replies, I was wondering if there was any natty programs out there as database programs are something I struggle with, when it comes to writing the reports for them etc. I will have a look at GCstar when I can.

But I generally think that a spreadsheet will do for me, I may only have about 350 valves and it will allow me to sort on types, bases etc. I have no quick tester, so what I want to know at the moment is what I have, how many etc. Testing generally comes when I build something, and I see how it works. I do have a home made thing where I can set up the DC voltages and compare Ia against the data sheet, but that takes time to do.

So thanks for the responses, it is interesting how others look at it..

Adrian
Old 6th Nov 2022, 9:24 am   #8
stevehertz
Dekatron

Probably unconventional, but it works for me, I use a simple excel based spreadsheet for different types of valve bases. So, British 4&5, British 7, octal, magic eyes, etc. A few columns per sheet showing valve name, quantity, and notes eg new boxed, tested etc. The valves themselves are kept in nylon storage containers with tops, and labels to match the spread sheet names applied to them.

You can become fanatical and create sheets and boxes for much more defined groups of valves, eg output, mixer, triode etc etc but you have to consider how many valves you own ie are you unnecessarily complicating a database when the truth is a simple one is ultimately easier to handle and use? So in my case, the use of a single section for say B7 valves entails just a few minutes search in that box(s) for the required valve that I know is in there, and I know what it looks like, not a problem. Unless you have a huge quantity of valves and are having to delve into them on a daily basis then a more complex system is just further encumbrance in itself. Match the complexity of the database to the size of the stock.
Old 6th Nov 2022, 9:58 am   #9
Station X

My Excel spreadsheet is very simple.

TYPE DESCRIPTION NOS USED TESTED NOTES

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 6th Nov 2022, 10:04 am   #10
vidjoman
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Station X View Post
My Excel spreadsheet is very simple.

TYPE DESCRIPTION NOS USED TESTED NOTES
That's all you need really. Make it in numeric/alphabetical order just like most of the valve equivalent books.
Old 6th Nov 2022, 3:18 pm   #11
cathoderay57
Nonode

And before you give up the hobby, or shuffle off this mortal coil, leave a copy of the list inside the box it refers to. Could save somebody in future hours of effort working out what is in there! Jerry
Old 6th Nov 2022, 6:05 pm   #12
The General
Hexode

The system that works for me is to keep new, used tested & used untested valves separate. New valves are in boxes in the attic (bankers boxes are good & cheap) & the used ones are in steel drawers in the workshop.
I have an excel document with a separate page for each box or drawer. The categories are Rectifiers, Outputs, Small signal, RF & Eye. B7G battery valves are in their own box.
If i need a valve I'll use a used tested one first (or test an untested one) before I use a new one.
Old 6th Nov 2022, 6:07 pm   #13
yestertech
Nonode

Another vote for an excel spreadsheet- all you really need.
As well as the main inventory, I have adjacent tabs showing where the boxes are located and an equivalents lookup list.
Storage Boxes are filled up and then another started as needed. No attempt being made to arrange the contents as the spreadsheet can give all the relevant details. I include the valve carton details as well, making it easier to locate items within a box.
Using an excel pivot table, I can see total quantities of each type across all the different storage boxes and this can also be searched using the standard ctl + f function.

Andy
Old 6th Nov 2022, 6:41 pm   #14
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Nice thing about spreadsheets is that you can sort on any column, and do pivot tables or filters to display, let's say, 'all B7g valves with a 12.6V heater'.

And you don't need to enter the data in any particular order, just put it in then use the spreadsheet to sort and order it for your immediate needs.

I only have a couple of hundred valves here, stored in plastic trays with kitchen roll to stop them rattling too much when I pull out a tray.
Old 6th Nov 2022, 7:45 pm   #15
AdrianH
Octode

I have another two boxes to enter into the spread sheet and have got to 340 valves, so may be around 400 all in, not counting what is in any gear.

The main point was to figure out what I have, many of them are pulls from previous owners I guess, but there are some boxed new and a few rectifiers that should stop me needing to buy GZ34's in the future found about three 5Z4G/T Valves and a U50.

What I was wondering initially was if I could tie in a database with all the details of the valve specs, but it is way too complicated for me.

As I said I do not have a simple tester so these will have to be tested when there is a chance of them being used.
Up to now a valve type could be in any one of many boxes, so perhaps a next stage will be to organize them again so that all the same are in one box, that may give me an easier chance to test types in one go and get rid of the bad ones, who knows.

It is keeping me occupied for a while if nothing else.

Adrian
Old 6th Nov 2022, 8:59 pm   #16
McMurdo
Dekatron

I dont use any sort of database as I have no idea what I'm doing.

I have my valves in boxes based on type designation For example boxes marked E-Series-Small and E-Series-Large. P-series. American nXn series. All numeric. All alphabetical. Mazda type nomenclature, K-series, A-Series etc.
Old 8th Nov 2022, 3:10 am   #17
Robert Gribnau
Heptode

Your reaction seems a bit contradictory to me. The way you describe your system makes it look, at least to me, that you are in control of your valves in your own way. And isn't that what counts? Or are we talking about large quantities?
Old 8th Nov 2022, 9:17 am   #18
PJC58-Hythe
Heptode

I recently sorted and tested all my valves and only kept the ones that were up to spec. I then used a Spreadsheet which lists the valve type, quantity, monetary value and box number each one is in.

I have them sorted by physical size into the different boxes.

http://www.retroworkshop.co.uk
Old 8th Nov 2022, 11:50 am   #19
Al (astral highway)
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianH View Post

What I was wondering initially was if I could tie in a database with all the details of the valve specs, but it is way too complicated for me.

There's no need for a database. You can make an Xcel or similar spreadsheet with virtually infinite properties and easily compare things that way. Happy listing!
Old 8th Nov 2022, 10:18 pm   #20
andrewn
Pentode

I've kept a database of my valves, transistors and ICs for about the last twenty years. It started out as a Microsoft Access database but a few years ago converted it to an Excel spreadsheet. Its a lot more convenient as a spreadsheet as I can view it on different devices and the filter/sort tools are very good. For the transistors I record quantity and package and for the ICs I record the use. Thats been very handy when starting a new project where I might want to see what op-amps I have in stock etc.
Closed Thread