UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Nov 2022, 5:33 pm   #21
Tim
Dekatron

Default Re: High Voltage Variable Bench Power Supplies?

I have dug out the HT PSU with the three 6BW6 in parallel and taken some pics of it and the reverse engineered circuit. Is it OK to post them on this thread or shall I start another?
Old 7th Nov 2022, 11:24 am   #22
woodchips
Octode

I have bought all sorts of high voltage PSUs to test valves, but 1000V at 1A is just too frightening to fix.

Then had some Roband Varex 60/1 (60V at 1A twice) PSUs, got a manual and found that you can both series and parallel these. Connected 2 in series, so maximum of 240V, the dual sections in each can be connected in series, and powered on. I was astonished, the full current limiting was available and working. From memory these PSUs can be stacked up to 500V maximum.

Ended up buying any Roband PSU that came up for sale, have enough now, but the idea that it will allow a misconnection of heater across HT is really nice. The variable voltage is easy, it is the current limiting to tens of milliamps that is unusual.
Old 7th Nov 2022, 1:48 pm   #23
Andrew B
Heptode

Quote:
I have an old unit given to me by a chap who used to work at Hinckley point
Strange coincidence, I have the Farnell 300v unit given to me by a chap that worked at the BNFL research facility at Birchwood, Warrington. Labelled up for testing "Ignitrons/Sprytrons"

Andrew

Last edited by Andrew B; 7th Nov 2022 at 1:55 pm.
Old 7th Nov 2022, 4:54 pm   #24
GrimJosef
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodchips View Post
... but 1000V at 1A is just too frightening to fix ...
A few tens of milliamps can shock you to death, as can a few tens of joules stored in that capacitor you charged from a 1mA supply. The trick is to keep the resistance of any circuit in which you play a part high (preferably tending towards infinite) . 1000V and 1A can start a decent fire pretty quickly though.

Cheers,

GJ
Old 14th Nov 2022, 3:44 pm   #25
daviddeakin
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris55000 View Post
I have taken delivery of a "Kquaiqu" 0–300 V unit
These are, of course, a switch–mode
Is that an electrophoresis power supply?

Building a DIY adjustable bench supply up to 300V 100mA is easy peasy. Above that and you start having to use your brain.
Old 15th Nov 2022, 7:34 am   #26
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

For a 0 - 450v 500mA supply see Pete Millet's DIY supply that uses 5 807's - http://www.pmillett.com/HV_bench_supply.htm

Re pass devices in HV supplies I've read that BJT's are better than switching mosfets but now you can get linear mosfets though they aint cheap - https://www.microsemi.com/product-di...fet/732-linear IXYS do some - https://www.digikey.co.uk/en/product...ear-l2-mosfets which looking back through the thread is what Thatvalveguy used in his PSU post #7.

Andy.
Old 15th Nov 2022, 7:08 pm   #27
matherp
Triode

I've got one of these. Seems to work OK and output seems stable. I've wired in one of the cheap voltmeter displays so it is easy to set and monitor the output.
Of course like anything high voltage needs to be treated with respect and with the usual precautions
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image1.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	268140  
Closed Thread