UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Nov 2022, 12:22 am   #61
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Default Re: Velleman kits & modules - transition to Whadda brand.

A while ago for reasons I didn't understand, what were then 'English Heritage' and its Scottish counterpart 'Historic Scotland' (with its familiar white line drawing of a church on a blue background logo) both spilt into two further halves at the same time as each other. 'English Heritage' wisely chose to retain that name for the public facing 'stone ruins for people to visit' side of the organisation, so nothing had to be changed.

'Historic Scotland' chose to rename the public facing side to 'Historic Environment Scotland' with a new 'Stone Arch' logo. Cue needless expenditure on new on-site signage, guidebooks to be reprinted, and road signs still confusingly bearing the old white on blue logo. Earlier this year, a staggering number of Historic Scotland (as I still call them) sites were closed to the public, a lack of money for maintenance needed to keep the sites safe for visitors being the oft stated reason.

If, like Velleman's, your brand is well known and well liked and people know what it stands for, you change it at your peril.
Old 21st Nov 2022, 9:20 am   #62
stevehertz
Dekatron

You say yourself that the split was done for reasons that you don't understand - they may have been quite plausible reasons. Linking the recent lack of money to the split and name change it is only conjecture. I would doubt that it made that much difference, more likely due to a lack of money in peoples' pockets, or as is often the case with historic sites, people have been there, done that and don't feel the need to keep revisiting.

For sure, brand names should only be changed for good reason, not a whim. We're not being told the reason in this case, it may well have achieved a certain objective(s), the lack of footfall being a completely different, unrelated issue. It's easy to jump to false conclusions.
Old 21st Nov 2022, 10:19 am   #63
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

I don't want to go too far OT - but essentially English Heritage and Historic Scotland were each made to split into two sections with the public facing sections becoming charities, or that is my vague understanding.

EH chose to keep that branding for the public facing side, HS decided to change their public name to HES which inevitably resulted in unnecessary rebranding costs and confusion among those who knew Historic Scotland and what it stood for. As a frequent visitor to Scotland, I remember trying to go onto Historic Scotland's website using pre-existing bookmarks to look something up and being baffled to find that the HS website seemed to have completely vanished.

Again, what this boils down to is that if your brand is familiar and comfortable and respected, it is a very bad idea to change it.
Old 21st Nov 2022, 12:49 pm   #64
kalee20
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriusHardware View Post
...what this boils down to is that if your brand is familiar and comfortable and respected, it is a very bad idea to change it.
Yes. And the converse - if it's become a laughing stock, it might be a very good idea to change it.

Though, sometimes surprisingly that's not done - Skoda in this country retained its identity and the brand is now respected.

And sometimes a well-respected identity spins-off a new brand, for a new product, just in case it doesn't 'work' - Pye marketing transistor radios under the Pam brand springs to mind.
Old 21st Nov 2022, 2:17 pm   #65
yesnaby
Octode

Looking at various adverts it seems that Velleman is now selling the well known LCR45 meters, though they are still marked 'Peak'!
Old 21st Nov 2022, 3:26 pm   #66
bigfathairyvika
Hexode

Could someone confirm if Velleman is pronounced Wellman or not?
Old 21st Nov 2022, 3:45 pm   #67
stevehertz
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalee20 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriusHardware View Post
...what this boils down to is that if your brand is familiar and comfortable and respected, it is a very bad idea to change it.
Yes. And the converse - if it's become a laughing stock, it might be a very good idea to change it.

Though, sometimes surprisingly that's not done - Skoda in this country retained its identity and the brand is now respected.

And sometimes a well-respected identity spins-off a new brand, for a new product, just in case it doesn't 'work' - Pye marketing transistor radios under the Pam brand springs to mind.
Agreed on all counts, branding is often complex and many faceted.
Old 21st Nov 2022, 9:39 pm   #68
pmmunro
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfathairyvika View Post
Given where these kits come (came?) from, I would think it should be pronounced "Vellyman".

For a different approach have a look at https://www.thomann.de/gb/compinfo.html. I speak only as a satisfied and favourably impressed customer with no other connection.

PMM

Last edited by Radio Wrangler; 22nd Nov 2022 at 4:00 am. Reason: Drift onto cars
Old 21st Nov 2022, 9:50 pm   #69
joebog1
Banned

Certainly the last one PMM. Seems Thomann listened to his old man and followed the instructions.

It IS GOOD to see, and I think that company will last a good while. I wish them the best.
Thanks to you for showing us that, its quite informative.

Joe
Old 23rd Nov 2022, 4:34 pm   #70
Maarten
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesnaby View Post
Looking at various adverts it seems that Velleman is now selling the well known LCR45 meters, though they are still marked 'Peak'!
That's a bit of a tradition. They didn't always rebrand their products.
Old 23rd Nov 2022, 4:37 pm   #71
Maarten
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmmunro View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfathairyvika View Post
Given where these kits come (came?) from, I would think it should be pronounced "Vellyman".
They come from the part of Belgium where they speak Flemish, which closely resembles Dutch.

It's more like Velluhman. With emphasis on the first e which sounds as the a in valley, but with a dull second e. The a is also not pronounced as it would be in the English word man but more like the German mann (as in Thomann, seen above).

Though I suppose there's nothing wrong with pronouncing it Valleyman if you're native tongue is English. Still very understandable and recognisable.

Last edited by Maarten; 23rd Nov 2022 at 4:45 pm.
Closed Thread