UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 11th Aug 2021, 6:59 pm   #1
Outrun_uk
Heptode

Default Aldi tools today.

Hi all,

Popped into Aldi for a few bits on the way home from work and they have some tools which may be useful. Various screwdriver sets, the one that caught my eye was a set of long reach drivers, £7.99. Also a crimping kit, again £7.99 but it includes an automatic wire stripper which is very close to my CK one in appearance. Seems to work just as good.

Hope this is of some use.

Cheers,

Kev
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CC868FB6-42BB-44C3-A81F-7F8335B1DD1C.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	239291   Click image for larger version

Name:	4701A634-7438-41C2-8E6E-E4F0755A4EEA.jpg
Views:	366
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	239292  
Old 11th Aug 2021, 7:19 pm   #2
stevehertz
Dekatron

Default Re: Aldi tools today.

Excellent. I quite often buy Aldi tools in the full knowledge that they may not be the very best. For me, I assess the amount of usage that a tool will be subjected to, and if it is basically 'man enough' for the job. And quite often, for reasonable frequency, hobby use their tools are an excellent buy. Of course, if you use - say - a screwdriver every day, and have a penchant for using it as a chisel, a prising tool, or hitting it with a hammer, then a stronger, more expensive 'professional' tool may be what you require. You pays your money and you takes your chances. Oh, my Aldi Workzone bandsaw is a cracker for £80, bought a couple of years ago. I've also got an Aldi ultrasonic cleaner that has given me splendid weekly service for around six years.
Old 11th Aug 2021, 7:56 pm   #3
paulsherwin

I can’t say I'm a fan of Aldi/Lidl tools. They're decent enough at their price point, but are no great bargain. I prefer to combine the Poundland/B&M throwaway stuff with mid market Draper tools bought on the internet. The Poundland 'rubbish' often turns out to be much better than you might expect.
Old 11th Aug 2021, 9:10 pm   #4
Outrun_uk
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
I can’t say I'm a fan of Aldi/Lidl tools. They're decent enough at their price point, but are no great bargain. I prefer to combine the Poundland/B&M throwaway stuff with mid market Draper tools bought on the internet. The Poundland 'rubbish' often turns out to be much better than you might expect.
I think the Aldi tools are good value, they sometimes have a couple of vices - one tabletop mount and the other a bench mount version. I bought a couple a while ago, the one at work sees daily use and no problems yet. Granted it’s nowhere near as well engineered as a Panavise but for the cost I can’t fault it. The stripper tool I mentioned seems to be a direct copy of the CK ones (£20) apart from the colour of the handles. Poundland do have so reasonable stuff sometimes - their 2 part epoxy and superglue is excellent. I’ve not been greatly impressed with Lidl except for their glue gun which is holding up well - I’ve cursed myself now
Old 11th Aug 2021, 11:46 pm   #5
Julesomega
Nonode

I use several tools from Lidl and Aldi and can't recall a duff one. I avoid 'sets' of things, it's always better to pay a bit more for the one size you need at the time. Seeing as Draper are being discussed, I recently bought three Draper screwdrivers I am forever needing for property repairs, #1 Pozi, Philips and 5mm slotted (Toolstation), and the quality is quite remarkable, better than anything else of mine, and the Philips is the equal to the GPO Philips, which btw is marked 141 368 B.T.2006 Inst.9 JG. I presume it was made by JG in 2006, and I am anxious to keep it safe and sound

It's good here

Last edited by Julesomega; 12th Aug 2021 at 12:03 am.
Old 12th Aug 2021, 5:07 am   #6
Refugee
Dekatron

Aldi tools are like a premium version of cheap big supermarket market stuff in most cases.
There cordless power tools are pretty good all be it not as posh as ones costing three or four times as much.
I have got an Aldi drill press that cost £60 and it is made of real metal and has worked fine every time I have used it. It will not let you rum with the belt cover not closed and fully locked like older ones used to.
Old 12th Aug 2021, 8:26 am   #7
JonSnell
Hexode

Nothing wrong with Aldi/Lidl etc tools for general use.
Reminds me of that song; The ballad of Lidl de Aldi.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cL7jyXCQ2Zc
Old 12th Aug 2021, 11:01 am   #8
SeanStevens
Octode

I bought an Aldi torch - LED rechargeable thing

Superb piece of kit that is ULTRA bright, lasts ages and is robust. I've accidentally dropped it several times and wince each time it falls..... It always comes out of the encounter beaming!

SEAN
Old 12th Aug 2021, 1:55 pm   #9
Andrewausfa
Octode

I bought one of Aldis 'Ferrex' branded cordless rotary tools the other week, it came with several accessories and for a measly £20 seemed very good value for money for polishing and cleaning radio stuff. Which it is except for the drill bits.
Old 12th Aug 2021, 2:05 pm   #10
duncanlowe
Nonode

Some of the tools on sale (probably all) are made by companies we have come accross. For example some of the Ferrex branded cordless power tools are made for them by the makers of WORX power tools, though sometimes there's little blocks in the battery holder so you can't interchange batteries. After a few seconds with a craft knife, a Ferrex fan works great with my Worx batteries. But it isn't true for all versions!
Old 12th Aug 2021, 6:52 pm   #11
McMurdo
Dekatron

I was bought an Aldi workzone engineer's square as a present. Square it aint!
Old 12th Aug 2021, 9:31 pm   #12
Sinewave
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMurdo View Post
I was bought an Aldi workzone engineer's square as a present. Square it aint!
That was a cute present
Old 12th Aug 2021, 10:31 pm   #13
turretslug
Dekatron

They're a classic case of looking carefully over what they're offering before parting with your money- some of what they offer is risible garbage, some of it is pleasingly competent and good value.
Old 12th Aug 2021, 11:17 pm   #14
dglcomp
Heptode

There multimeters are generally acceptable, primarily because whilst they might nit have the best safety rating you can at least guarantee that the rating is genuine and the tesing has been carried out by a competent test house. I know that for my Lidl clamp meter they have the TUV test document available on their website.

And as has been said their powered tools seem to be of decent enough quality.
Old 13th Aug 2021, 12:17 am   #15
Julesomega
Nonode

I love Aldi's German-made paint, water-soluble for all surfaces, good opacity and dry in an hour

It's good here
Old 13th Aug 2021, 8:49 am   #16
Sinewave
Octode

Talking of their power tools, I did buy the electric multi tool. Whilst useful, I can't seem to find any replacement blades for it.
Old 13th Aug 2021, 10:26 am   #17
Junk Box Nick
Octode

I have bought numerous Aldi tools including the pillar/press drill to which Refugee refers. It’s amazing what you depart with having gone in for a pint of milk.

When a youngster and in my early days in this hobby and drilling holes with a Stanley hand drill – a Black & Decker power drill was half a week’s wages – a press drill was a thing of dreams only to be found in a professional work shop.

I picked up the wire crimper kit – worth a punt at that money – and it is far better quality than than my existing ‘hobby’ one bought from an auto store some years ago.

Whilst not the quality required by the professional, these Aldi tools are fine for hobby use and have been jolly useful for jobs around the home. For occasional jobs where in the past it would have been a case of calling in a pro who had the tools or spending hours with hand tools and resultant arm ache, they are perfect. It’s nice to have them to hand and when a job crops up think “I can soon do that with the xxxxxxx”. They wouldn’t stand up to professional environment but they’ll have enough life for my needs and already most owe me nothing.

Having said that, I have had a li-ion Aldi Workzone hand drill for a few years and have ended up using it very frequently in work situations. It is still going strong.
Old 13th Aug 2021, 5:45 pm   #18
agardiner
Octode

I have several of Lidl's cordless power tools; all excellent for what they are.

Also have various other tools and useful bits from them, all good. Their clear packing tape is the best I have found for taping up parcels.

I did buy one of their rotary multi tools which only lasted a day. Don't think it was intended for the various tasks I tested it on though!
Old 13th Aug 2021, 5:58 pm   #19
Boulevardier
Octode

I bought a Lidl extended-reach hedge trimmer some years ago - very useful if you want to avoid balancing on high step ladders with a power cutter flailing around whenever it wobbles. So far, the power head (bit with motor in it) has failed twice. Both times this was within the guarantee period, and I am currently using the second replacement. Not yet used it enough to know whether this will hold out, but I suspect the friction resulting from the long extension drive is just too much of a load on the motor. We'll see...

Mike
Old 13th Aug 2021, 7:43 pm   #20
David G4EBT
Dekatron

A lot of Aldi 'Ferrex' and 'Workzone' tools are re-branded Scheppach, a well regarded German Brand.

Some of their power tools are in fact branded as Scheppach.

Last November I bought a Scheppach pillar drill on offer at £129 from Aldi. (3 yr warranty).

An excellent spec and I've been well pleased with it. It's installed in my garage where I keep my little metalworking lathe and it saves me having to trot back and forth to my workshop down the garden where I do have a pillar drill.

Here's a clip of the spec:

Powerful 710W motor
Easy-to-read LCD screen
Aluminium base plate with parallel guide
2-speed gear box
Keyless quick-lock chuck
Stepless speed adjustment
Integrated laser for easy, precise drilling
Speed range of 170-880/490-2600 min-1
Provides easy reading of the exact drilling depth
Integrated LED to light up your work area
Quick-action clamp for fast fixing
Motor 220-240 V~/50-60 Hz
Drill stroke: 100mm

From time to time they sell a bandsaw which is well regarded on the UK Workshop Forum. Peter Millard is a respected cabinet maker who is a member of that forum and is now a full time Youtuber who reviews woodworking equipment. His channel has had 16 million views to date:

https://www.youtube.com/c/PeterMillard/featured

In 2017 Peter reviewed a, Aldi 'Workzone' bandsaw which was a re-branded Scheppach. At the time of his video in 2017, the bandsaw was on offer at £80 - £30 cheaper than the same (Scheppach saw from Screwfix):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAmUi7qMDHg

Aldi/Lidl hand tools are often subjectively dismissed as cheap 'tat'. I mean, how can a set of four woodturning chisels for £7.95 be any good? They're not on offer just now, and if/when they are, they might cost more. One of the most respected cabinet makers and tutors in the UK (and for that matter, worldwide) is Paul Sellars. He too has his own YouTube channel, which has more than half a million subscribers worldwide:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Sellers

I'm drifting away from vintage radio restoration I know, but we do get involved in cabinetry from time to time and we do use hand and power tools. For anyone who might be interested, here's what Paul Sellars has to say about Aldi woodworking chisels in an objective review, (apart from which, it's useful tutorial in sharpening anyway):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ki8tt-VjwqI

So, cheap though Aldi and Lidl's stuff might be, it's not to be subjectively dismissed as 'cheap tat', and it doesn't always come to these shores on a slow boat from the Orient.

A pic of my Aldi/Scheppach pillar drill below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Scheppach Aldi Pillar Drill.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	239372  
Closed Thread