UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 28th May 2022, 11:18 am   #1
Slammer
Pentode

Default What are you listening to?

Not too sure this is the correct place, but I can´t find any place where this post could fit...
I enjoy browsing this forum, it has a certain candy store quality to it, there is something in it for everybody. From the mundane, to the nostalgic to the posts that make me think that the poster can boil a kettle at ten paces with brain power alone.
As some may remember I am a recent born again gramophone acolyte and got a gramophone to listen to my mothers old shellacks. Over the years these records by now are very worn and have more of a nostalgic value than an acoustic one.
The HMV I got came with a handful of records but I must admit obscure German polkas simply don´t do it for me.
So yesterday I was in Nürnberg and visited a 2nd hand record shop. The girl behind the desk gave me a sweet smile and I asked her if they had any shellacks? I got a glazed look and she told me to look under the section "S" "They´re vinyls!" I told her.
"The Shellacks?" And I got the look one gets from a teenager having to do something they did not budget for. "Is that a German band?"
The manager sensing a breakdown in communication came over and asked me what I wanted. "Do you have any shellacks.... 78ts?"
"A few" and he takes me to the back and some shelves where 10 Shellack records were gathering dust.
And now I have them.
Tommy Dorsey, Lala Anderson, some German 1920ies big band straight out of Berlin´s famous pre war club; Moka Efti, some blues and two swing records are now in my shelf and now I really know what a good record sounds like.

So what are you listening to?

Last edited by Slammer; 28th May 2022 at 11:24 am.
Old 28th May 2022, 12:34 pm   #2
bluepilot
Heptode

Default Re: What are you listening to?

When I lived in Munich I acquired quite a few 1930s German radios. I thought it would be nice to have some 1930s music to listen to on them. I bought a few CDs but what was available was often very poor quality. Eventually I decided that I could do a better job of transferring and processing the old records myself. There used to be a record shop called Schallplattenzentrale at the end of Lindwurm Strasse which had a good selection of 78s. Sadly I think it closed down due to covid. Best Records in Theresienstrasse used to have quite a few as well although they were kept on the floor. I went there once and many of the records had been trodden on and broken.
So what do I listen to?
Michael Jary, Adolf Steimel, H. G. Schutz, Horst Winter, Goldene Sieben, Bar Trio, Benny de Weille, Franz Grothe etc.

The golden age is always yesterday - Asa Briggs
Old 28th May 2022, 1:21 pm   #3
dodgy-dxer
Heptode

Hi Slammer

Maybe you would fancy a trip down to Friedrichshafen at the end of June?

https://www.hamradio-friedrichshafen.com/

Whilst it is Ham Radio event the flea market has something for everyone and a high chance of more shellacks for you

Fred
Old 28th May 2022, 1:36 pm   #4
Kentode
Octode

How much did you pay for them Slammer? On my local flea market 78's can be had for as little as 50 pence each if you buy several at once. Occasionally a market trader will try to charge £5 for an Elvis Presley 78 "Because it's rare". They're not!

Currently listening to Bowie, Todd Rungren, Kate Bush and Pink Floyd.

The translucent LP was imported from America. Not cheap!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220528_132515.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	257919  

BVWS member
Old 28th May 2022, 6:28 pm   #5
Slammer
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepilot View Post
When I lived in Munich I acquired quite a few 1930s German radios. I thought it would be nice to have some 1930s music to listen to on them. I bought a few CDs but what was available was often very poor quality. Eventually I decided that I could do a better job of transferring and processing the old records myself. There used to be a record shop called Schallplattenzentrale at the end of Lindwurm Strasse which had a good selection of 78s. Sadly I think it closed down due to covid. Best Records in Theresienstrasse used to have quite a few as well although they were kept on the floor. I went there once and many of the records had been trodden on and broken.
So what do I listen to?
Michael Jary, Adolf Steimel, H. G. Schutz, Horst Winter, Goldene Sieben, Bar Trio, Benny de Weille, Franz Grothe etc.
They have moved, but still going strong.
Old 28th May 2022, 6:31 pm   #6
Slammer
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentode View Post
How much did you pay for them Slammer? On my local flea market 78's can be had for as little as 50 pence each if you buy several at once. Occasionally a market trader will try to charge £5 for an Elvis Presley 78 "Because it's rare". They're not!

Currently listening to Bowie, Todd Rungren, Kate Bush and Pink Floyd.

The translucent LP was imported from America. Not cheap!
I bought eight at 2 Euros apiece and he gave me the last two for free.
However I was in Augsburg today and there is a very old record shop in Göggingen and I picked up two Bing Crosby records for a tenner a disc and he gave me a Serge Gainsbourg to boot. These records are almost new and still shiny and pristine and I am only going to play them with a new needle each side.
Old 28th May 2022, 8:57 pm   #7
Slammer
Pentode

Quote:
So what do I listen to?
Did you get a Göbbels Schnautze Volksempfänger?
Old 29th May 2022, 8:04 am   #8
bluepilot
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slammer View Post
Yes, two of them. Also two VE301s and a VE301 dyn. Sadly no DAF1011.

Old 29th May 2022, 9:24 am   #9
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

From a very young age I have always had an interest in Gramophones and 78 RPM records and a wide choice of music of all kinds from Rock and Roll to opera Just a few pictures of records and gramophones/radiograms. Probably my best liked are 1930's/40 swing and dance bands such as Glenn Miller, Artie Shaw, the Dorsey brothers and many more.
Played with the correct pick up, correctly damped they sound fantastic!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Records (1).jpg
Views:	145
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	257982   Click image for larger version

Name:	Records (2).jpg
Views:	145
Size:	129.6 KB
ID:	257983   Click image for larger version

Name:	Records (3).jpg
Views:	146
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	257984   Click image for larger version

Name:	Records (5).jpg
Views:	151
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	257985   Click image for larger version

Name:	Records (6).jpg
Views:	125
Size:	139.7 KB
ID:	257986  

Old 29th May 2022, 10:12 am   #10
red16v
Heptode

What am I listening to? For general background listening we have Radio Paradise on pretty much every evening whilst we have dinner.

For the occasional treat I put on an old recording of Radio 1’s original ‘Sounds of the seventies’ series which I recorded as broadcast in the early 1970’s - stereo fm - which I transferred to digital the winter before last. It’s as if I’m there!
Old 29th May 2022, 10:14 am   #11
Slammer
Pentode

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slammer View Post
Yes, two of them. Also two VE301s and a VE301 dyn. Sadly no DAF1011.
Always wanted at VE301, but never knew about the DAF1011, German workers front receiver.
Getting pretty rare these days.
Old 29th May 2022, 10:15 am   #12
Slammer
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatercathodeshort View Post
From a very young age I have always had an interest in Gramophones and 78 RPM records and a wide choice of music of all kinds from Rock and Roll to opera Just a few pictures of records and gramophones/radiograms. Probably my best liked are 1930's/40 swing and dance bands such as Glenn Miller, Artie Shaw, the Dorsey brothers and many more.
Played with the correct pick up, correctly damped they sound fantastic!
I like that in picture four.
Old 29th May 2022, 4:08 pm   #13
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Pathe gramophone that plays Pathe records that start at the centre. Some good music and the quality is excellent. John.
Old 29th May 2022, 8:12 pm   #14
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

I nevber really got into vinyl; it didn't work well with my 'mobile' lifestyle, and the dozen or so LPs in my collection were lost somewhere in a bunch of relationship-shifts.

Cassettes: the first one I bought in the mid-70s was Vangelis's "Albedo 0.39". I was an early adopter of the Sony Walkman, and my 'company car' in 1981 came with a cassette-player so I was happy to be buying 4 or 5 cassettes a week to accompany on my drive-time. By 1990 I had loads of the things - but my tastes changed.

Next came CDs; and again I bought into the format at a rate of 4 or 5 a week - for in-car listening [the 'stacker' things where you could load six CDs into a car CD-player were great whrn you were regularly driving from Oxfordshire to Edinburgh and back]

House-move in 1995, I put all the cassettes in black sacks and took them to a charity-shop. My musical tastes had moved-on.

Another house-move in 2006 - my CD collection went the same way! I just couldn't be bothered with the hassle of shifting a cubic-yard of low-density, obsolete music.

These days I have no 'moving-media' - all my listening is from MP3/MP4 or streaming online [Spotify etc].

My musical-tastes have also changed: these days I'm into a strange combination of 2020s trance/progressive dance/chillout, 60s "Lounge" [vocal crooners, Bert Kaempfert, Henry Mancini, Mantovani, Richard Clayderman] and 60s/70s German "Schlagermusik"!

All 'streamed' or digital downloads.

[I guess many of you have never come across the Schlager-phanomenon that is 'Heino' - if not, see here: https://youtu.be/EV4n548Ki8E ]
Old 29th May 2022, 8:40 pm   #15
bluepilot
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6Tanuki View Post
[I guess many of you have never come across the Schlager-phanomenon that is 'Heino' - if not, see here: https://youtu.be/EV4n548Ki8E ]
Heino is an acquired taste. I've never acquired it. In his old(er) age he's turned more towards rock. Heino with Rammstein is just bizarre although there are suggestions that it was all just a joke.

Old 29th May 2022, 11:00 pm   #16
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6Tanuki View Post
My musical-tastes have also changed...
I think mine, like the physical media that store the music, have much more accumulated than changed - there can be little I've found rewarding at any time in the past fifty or so years that isn't sometimes very welcome now. Bach, Mahler, Thelonious Monk and Peter Hammill don't go away: I've a place, or places, for Layton & Johnstone, Rutland Boughton and Allegaeon; CD arrivals lately are a Bill Evans box and recent releases from Cheer-Accident, Mary Halvorson, Lukas Lion and Damon & Naomi. If anyone should care to see me completely at a loss for what to say, they need only ask me what kind of music I like.

Paul
Old 30th May 2022, 7:28 pm   #17
Slammer
Pentode

Heino.... Slammer goes "BRRRR!"

There is a bit of 50ties and 60ties Schlager that I enjoy, Katja Ebstein, Elisa Gabbai for instance, then going on to Peter Maffay etc. Some Neue Deutsche Welle.
These days I listen to Heilung, Hubert von Goisern, Haindling.. a lot of the older music and of course EAV..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdRX...annel=eagleton
Old 4th Jun 2022, 12:47 am   #18
RadioTube
Diode

Maybe not the right reaction but you should take a look at this radio station; https://www.192radio.nl/192radio/
It is the infamous radio station from the Netherlands Radio Veronica.
This website is playing music from the time and presenting it in the style from the time what i think is very cool. Worth to take a look!
Old 5th Jun 2022, 4:12 am   #19
RadioTube
Diode

On my Philips 305 i shutted down a pair Philips MFB 541 speakers at 23:00 because neigbours. The smallest but ohh so good sounding. After that it is James Last on a Sennheiser HD 598 headphone.
Old 5th Jun 2022, 5:13 pm   #20
Red to black
Nonode

Everything from ABBA to ZZ top,

I mostly listen to punk and Oi! music but can still appreciate other forms, I think there is only rap music that I am not particularly keen on (apart from the Beastie Boys) but pretty much anything else goes, I like a fairly eclectic mix of most types of music