UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Forum Announcements and Comments

Notices

Forum Announcements and Comments Announcements about forum changes will be made in this section. All new threads here now require moderator approval.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Feb 2023, 11:39 am   #1
Boulevardier
Octode

Default Error - "403 Forbidden"

I have just tried to post to an existing thread, and was faced with the message -

"403, Forbidden - Access to this resource on the server is forbidden".

I get this at the point where I click on either "Submit reply" or "Preview Post".

This has happened before during the last week or so, but then I managed to work around the block - I can't this time.

Any suggestions?

Mike
Old 16th Feb 2023, 11:45 am   #2
Cobaltblue

Default Re: Error - "403 Forbidden"

We need to know the thread in question but it's possible the thread was deleted or moved whist you were posting.

Either that or you have found one of the database security rules.

Cheers

Mike T
Old 16th Feb 2023, 2:47 pm   #3
Station X

We need more info such as a screenshot of what you're trying to post, otherwise there is no chance of fixing it. It's definitely hitting a mod-sec rule, but only the hosting company can find out which if they're send them instructions for how to reproduce it.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 16th Feb 2023, 3:07 pm   #4
Boulevardier
Octode

Thanks. Seems to have resolved itself - for the moment at least.
Old 16th Feb 2023, 3:38 pm   #5
paulsherwin

There will have been something in the title or body of text that the database security settings didn't like. Nothing has changed, so you must have rephrased the post. When we get these false positives, the cause can be very obscure.

The purpose of the security rules is to prevent SQL injection attacks.
Old 16th Feb 2023, 5:48 pm   #6
Paul Stenning
Administrator

As Paul says, these things are often very obscure. The mod-sec system tries to detect things that look like malicious SQL queries or server shell commands etc, which occasionally appear in normal text and generate a false positive.

If you do get this again, or if anyone else does, please click the back button and take a screenshot of what you were trying to post (enlarge the text box if necessary to show it all) and also copy/paste the text into Notepad or something and save it.

Then send me or one of the mods a PM requesting my email address, and email it all to me (you won't be able to PM the text because it will hit the same block).

I will then attempt to reproduce it, and if I can I will raise a support ticket with the hosting company. Normally they can just disable the offending rule for this website if it's not deemed to be a genuine security issue.

I know it's a nuisance, but without detailed information there is nothing we or the hosting company can do to fix it.

Thank you!

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 16th Feb 2023, 5:55 pm   #7
Boulevardier
Octode

Thank you also. I probably wouldn't have raised the issue had it not happened to me several times in the last few days - which made it seem like a "generic" problem rather than an unlucky one-off.

I'll watch out for any recurrence.

Thanks again
Mike
Old 16th Feb 2023, 8:06 pm   #8
Radio Wrangler

There is a first clue there....

Is there some common denominator in the post attempts which got blocked? you've hit a verboten character string which the forum security check sees as a likely attack.

If so, then you can't tell us directly because that message will get blocked too, because it contains.... yeah. So a screenshot is one of the few ways round.

David
Old 6th Mar 2023, 12:17 pm   #9
Valvepower
Octode

Hi,

Last week I experienced similar problems trying to attach a link to the Radio Workshop site and the PYE PCL83 BB schematic and manual. In trying, I kept getting bombed out with 404 etc., errors and eventually gave up. I did get a feeling the the ‘security’ code was behind these goings on.

I could download the manual and repost here, but personally, I feel this just not cricket – so to speak.

Terry

Last edited by Valvepower; 6th Mar 2023 at 12:29 pm.
Old 6th Mar 2023, 1:03 pm   #10
Boulevardier
Octode

I was getting error 403, but something I did notice was that the problem seemed to occur when drafting the text for the post in Word and then copying and pasting into the Forum's website. When I typed same text directly into the Forum's webpage there was no problem.

I wonder if word processors can put in hidden characters/formatting that the system doesn't like.

Mike
Old 6th Mar 2023, 1:09 pm   #11
Buzby123
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boulevardier View Post
... the problem seemed to occur when drafting the text for the post in Word ... I wonder if word processors can put in hidden characters/formatting that the system doesn't like.
Mike
I had the same problem years ago with another site. Word processors do put hidden weird characters and sequences in.

That's why I now draft my replies using Notepad, it saves text cleanly.
Old 6th Mar 2023, 6:52 pm   #12
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Yes, Word and other similar word processors carry a lot of stuff across with copying and pasting, for font sizes and types, formatting etc. It's obviously needed if pasting elsewhere in Word or another product that uses the extra information, but can cause problems here.

I have a similar problem with a Wordpress website I run where one of the editors sometimes copies and pastes from Word.

It's fine to use Word for writing and editing the text, so you have the advantage of the spelling and grammar checkers etc. Once finished, copy from Word and paste into Notepad, then copy from Notepad and paste here. Going via Notepad gets rid of everything apart from the actual text, and that should work OK.

You can do the same thing when copying from other sources such as PDF files or websites - go via Notepad to clean it all up before pasting here.

Paul Stenning
Old 24th Mar 2023, 2:10 am   #13
Buzby123
Heptode

I've just the same problem. Traced it to a pair of lines in my post.

The lines with multiple dashes give the 403 error, unless like here they are in code format.

Code:
To get VOIP in your house you need a connection to the ISP ( fibre, copper, wet string ), and a device somewhere in your house that supports VOIP.

ISP---Copper----MODEM------Router---> House Ethernet 

In a copper broadband the VOIP might be setup in the modem or router. In this case there will be phone sockets on the modem or router.

ISP---Fibre------ONT---------Router---> House Ethernet

In a FTTP broadband the VOIP might be setup in the ONT or router. In this case there will be phone sockets on the ONT or router.
Old 24th Mar 2023, 2:22 pm   #14
Paul Stenning
Administrator

To get VOIP in your house you need a connection to the ISP ( fibre, copper, wet string ), and a device somewhere in your house that supports VOIP.

ISP---Copper----MODEM------Router---> House Ethernet

In a copper broadband the VOIP might be setup in the modem or router. In this case there will be phone sockets on the modem or router.

ISP---Fibre------ONT---------Router---> House Ethernet

In a FTTP broadband the VOIP might be setup in the ONT or router. In this case there will be phone sockets on the ONT or router.

Paul Stenning
Old 24th Mar 2023, 2:22 pm   #15
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Works OK for me, so something must have changed in your copying and pasting.

Paul Stenning
Old 24th Mar 2023, 3:13 pm   #16
Buzby123
Heptode

That's weird. I didn't c&p any of the original post, it was all typed in directly.

When I got the 403 error I looked to see if there were any strange sequences, and the multiple dashes looked likely suspects. Deleted those two lines, and the post succeded.

Too late for me to edit them back in and try again !.
Old 24th Aug 2023, 12:06 pm   #17
ScopeMonkey
Pentode

I'm getting this error today on trying to post a new thread in "Sets and Parts Offered" after adding pics. All goes fine until after closing the image management window and pressing Submit Thread, when just a blank white page with this error is the result. 🤔
Old 24th Aug 2023, 12:10 pm   #18
ScopeMonkey
Pentode

It's only happening when trying to create new threads, seems I can reply fine.
Old 24th Aug 2023, 12:11 pm   #19
ScopeMonkey
Pentode

Not adding any pics doesn't make any difference, fwiw.
Old 24th Aug 2023, 12:15 pm   #20
ScopeMonkey
Pentode

What I've been trying to post (see pic):
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20230824-121403-707.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	283907  
Closed Thread