UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Sep 2022, 5:26 pm   #1
Tim
Dekatron

Default Weller TCP from the dump

Hi all. Just managed to whip this Weller TCP1 and base from our local “ re-cycling “ centre when the rubbish police weren’t looking. Looks all intact but haven’t done a check or ( god forbid) plugged it in yet. Not that there is much to go wrong.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	59CD2E50-E247-487C-A742-A85CD33BA5DD.jpeg
Views:	449
Size:	142.2 KB
ID:	265242  
Old 24th Sep 2022, 5:35 pm   #2
Cruisin Marine
Heptode

Default Re: Seller TCP from the dump

Truly excellent iron's
Old 24th Sep 2022, 8:02 pm   #3
sortedradio
Heptode

Default Re: Weller TCP from the dump

Well saved!

or maybe I should say Weller saved........
Old 24th Sep 2022, 8:27 pm   #4
CambridgeWorks
Nonode

A steal!!
Great irons. First used one in 1968, still using them since that date!
Rob
Old 24th Sep 2022, 8:34 pm   #5
radio69
Tetrode

Excellent irons, well worth saving. Looks like it just needs a good clean.

They used to be made in Horsham, not far from me...
Old 24th Sep 2022, 9:34 pm   #6
Tim
Dekatron

Ahh, Hubris strikes! We have 24 volts ac at the PSU output plug, we have 13 ohms continuity across the supply pins of the iron plug. Unfortunately the iron does rather get carried away with itself. The iron certainly heats up, but unfortunately doesn’t stop heating. The temperature regulation has failed. I tried a known good tip from my 50 volt GPO/BT version and it’s still the same.
That’s a couple of evenings entertainment sorted out!
Old 24th Sep 2022, 9:35 pm   #7
evingar
Octode

Well done

I wouldn't like my chances at our local dump. It's absolutely bristling with cameras and operatives—never seen anywhere so over manned !!
Old 24th Sep 2022, 9:40 pm   #8
peter_scott
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
I tried a known good tip from my 50 volt GPO/BT version and it’s still the same.
Try hitting it on the bench.

Peter
Old 24th Sep 2022, 9:57 pm   #9
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Does it heat up if you have no tip fitted?

There is a suppressor capacitor across the thermostat switch which may have shorted (seen that a couple of times) or of course the contacts may be stuck closed.
Old 24th Sep 2022, 10:33 pm   #10
joebog1
Banned

There is a magnet assembly inside that regulates the heat. Its easiliy removable and replaceable.
I havent owned a Weller for many years. I beleive its called the Curie point temperature control.
The switches are not that cheap, but last for ages. I used own a factory where I had 30 girls all using Wellers, pehaps once in two years one of those switches failed. The tips alas, dont hold out that well!!

Good score !!!!!!

Joe
Old 24th Sep 2022, 11:09 pm   #11
Radio Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_scott View Post
Try hitting it on the bench.
Sometimes, unsubtlety IS the answer.

(The thermostatic switch can be opened and the contacts cleaned. They are usually held together with a bit of yellow Kapton tape.)

David
Old 24th Sep 2022, 11:12 pm   #12
joebog1
Banned

Perhaps David is correct, but my own memory said the magnet had lost its oopmhh.

Joe
Old 25th Sep 2022, 1:33 am   #13
Refugee
Dekatron

Switch assemblies are not cheap but you may be lucky and find that the little cover over the contacts is loose or the capacitor is short circuit.
E-bay is more expensive than Farnell.
https://uk.farnell.com/weller/005102...eller%20switch
Old 25th Sep 2022, 6:50 am   #14
Radio Wrangler

I've not come across a weak magnet yet, but I've used TCP1s at work for decades.

I have come across the little hex screw that holds the moving contact bar to the stem from the magnet coming loose and you get an iron which doesn't heat.

Some of the beefier variants on the TCP1 use the same switch design at mains voltage.

When an iron stuck on, the usual fix in the lab, as Peter said, was a controlled-intensity smack on the bench. If that didn't do it, we kept spares in stores, so in went a new switch. In later years we sometimes had to open switches and have a go at the contacts if switches weren't readily available.

David
Old 25th Sep 2022, 7:32 am   #15
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Surely if the magnet is weak it won't close the switch and the iron won't heat up at all?

The switch is open when no tip is fitted. When you fit the tip, the magnet is attracted to the special alloy slug on the back of the tip, this pulls the contacts closed. Thus the element heats up. When it gets up to temperature, said alloy reaches its curie point, the magnet is no longer attracted, the contacts open, the element turns off, etc.
Old 25th Sep 2022, 4:55 pm   #16
MotorBikeLes
Nonode

I have one at my workbench, but don't get much chance to sit there right now. Recently, the iron started refusing to heat up. A gentle tap would often start it, or sometimes just lowering the tip once out of holder. If it came on, it behaved all the time I was at the bench. If it would not respond, I just left it a while, and then could usually get it working by the above methods. Last week, it refused completely, so I dug out a spare unit from my soldering iron spares box, a label suggesting it was good to go. I popped a tip on it, but realised I needed a plug for it. There was a new one in my box, but of course I need a hot iron to solder the leads. There was a spare, new switch in the box, so I intended to fit that to No. 1 iron, but of course I need a hot iron for that.
As soon as I get a few minutes, I will get out one of my Weller guns, and fix both of the others.
Les.
Old 25th Sep 2022, 10:50 pm   #17
Tim
Dekatron

Hi all. Thanks for all the comments. I removed the sleeve that secures the bit, and and the magnet is still quite strong. I'm away from home on a course from tomorrow, but fear not readers, I have brought the iron and meter, tools etc. with me to fiddle with in the evenings. Stay tuned............
Old 25th Sep 2022, 11:26 pm   #18
Radio Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
I'm away from home on a course from tomorrow, but fear not readers, I have brought the iron and meter, tools etc. with me to fiddle with in the evenings. Stay tuned............
If you haven't already got one, that's a fine way to acquire a reputation...

David
Old 26th Sep 2022, 12:14 am   #19
fetteler
Octode

That embryonic reputation is gaining ground fast here!

Steve.
Old 26th Sep 2022, 6:19 am   #20
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

You can clean the contacts with electrical spray sprayed onto a bit of thin card, don't use wet & dry paper. I've had one tip go non working, IE the little magnet failed, it was one of the crap Mexican ones though that last about a month.

Also had the Rifa X cap fail in one of my TCP irons, finding a similar size one to replace it is tricky as is getting the heating assembly back on the handle, it only goes on one way. Hours of fun & amusement for kids of all ages as they say.

Andy.