UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Sep 2022, 10:09 am   #1
Martin Bush
Octode

Default John Bull print pad

Hi all

I have a John Bull printing set which I intend to use to make labels and inlays for cassettes and open reels (which I hope qualifies it for this thread).

The ink pad has decayed - does anyone know how this can be replaced? I think I just need a small piece of the sponge material (does this come pre-inked?).

Martin
Old 19th Sep 2022, 10:23 am   #2
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: John Bull print pad

You used to be able to buy inked-pads [as used for those rubber date-stamp things used to mark the return-date in the back of library books] and little bottles of the ink, from W.H.Smith and similar stationery shops.

Though I suspect that if you asked for such a thing these days you would be treated with a blank stare of non-comprehension.
Old 19th Sep 2022, 10:27 am   #3
Dickie
Octode

Plenty on Ebay - of course!

Richard, BVWS member
Old 19th Sep 2022, 10:47 am   #4
Martin Bush
Octode

Thanks chaps. I was thinking of replacing the pad inside the existing box, but, as you say I may be better off buying something 'off the shelf'.

I have no idea how old my set is - it looks old, but suspect it may be repro. Good fun though.
Old 19th Sep 2022, 12:38 pm   #5
Peter.N.
Dekatron

I just gave away a box of 1950 Wireless World's bought with my pocket money as a kid, they were stamped with my name and address with my 'John Bull' printing outfit.

I know that doesn't help with your request - but for the sake of nostalgia.

Peter
Old 19th Sep 2022, 12:58 pm   #6
Reelman
Octode

The ink for stamp pads is called endorsing ink. Once very popular in branch banking in my old profession. We had a rubber stamp for everything!

Certainly seen the little bottles of ink and pads in WH Smith although perhaps not recently….

Peter
Old 19th Sep 2022, 1:38 pm   #7
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Hobbycraft, who have stores in most largish towns (or you can buy online), stock ink pads and sell all sorts of rubber stamps for hobbyists:

EG, Archival permanent ink-pad:

https://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/ranger-...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Hobbycraft rubber stamps:

https://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/papercr...tart=144&sz=48

There are lots of other suppliers of ink pads. EG:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dovecraft-E...ustomerReviews

https://www.bladerubbercraft.co.uk/ink-pads.html

Hope that might help.

When I was a kid, a John Bull Printing Outfit was a most acceptable Christmas present.

Now, anything less than an i-phone to upgrade the one they had last Christmas is a disappointment.
Old 19th Sep 2022, 3:08 pm   #8
Junk Box Nick
Octode

I was given John Bull printing set No. 9 in the mid-1960s and it was second-hand then. The blocks that held the letters were wooden. No. 9 was a bit of a deluxe set with several blocks with different numbers of lines. Later versions (still the 1960s) had red plastic holders which featured a handle to grasp.

Ample advice given as to where to find ink pads so no need to add.

When I was first at work some basic items that required printing were sent to a local printer whose work was of not of great quailty. They were always referred to as ‘John Bull Printing’.
Old 19th Sep 2022, 5:40 pm   #9
TonyDuell
Dekatron

(as an aside)
Quite recently (within the last 2 years) I bought a modern version of the John Bull set in, I think W.H.Smiths but it might have been Rymans.

It's one of those self-inking stamps (where the type is pressed against an ink pad inside and flips over onto the workpiece when you press it down) where the type consists of individual rubber letters/digits. I think you were intended to set it up once and keep on using the same message (which is what I did, I put a shortened version of my postal address on it to stamp the back of envelopes, etc) but there is no reason why you can't change it.
Old 19th Sep 2022, 6:40 pm   #10
Martin Bush
Octode

My set is a Number 12, and the letters are supposedly 'Indian Rubber'.

This has been an jnteresting thread and one of the links provided by David suggests one of the inks will print onto plastic - that is quite exciting if it will work on cassettes (wonder if the ink stains the letters blocks?).
Old 19th Sep 2022, 10:33 pm   #11
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

John Bull Printing Outfit, that takes me back!

I noticed that our local stationers sell library style date stamps, so it follows they must also sell ink pads.

You used to be able to buy bottles of "endorsing ink", a quick Google shows nothing has changed.
Old 20th Sep 2022, 1:41 pm   #12
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDuell View Post
(as an aside)
Quite recently (within the last 2 years) I bought a modern version of the John Bull set in, I think W.H.Smiths but it might have been Rymans.
Aldi had them as you describe, maybe ten years ago, complete with spare characters and tweezers. My other inkpad, purchased thirty years ago, is still usable and I've never needed to replenish the ink. It has a lid on it, mind you.

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Closed Thread