UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Jul 2022, 4:23 pm   #1
Lucien Nunes
Rest in Peace

Default Hirel, EPTA and Col. F.R. Peathey-Johns

Does anyone know anything about these companies and this man?

Hirel Electronic Developments Ltd.
Incorporated 11/09/63 No. 00773784
Dissolved 14/6/1971

EPTA Engineering Co. Ltd.
Dissolved 14/6/1971

Both were operated by, or at least had as director, Col. Francis Royston Peathey-Johns MBE BSc(Eng) C.Eng. MIMechE FIEE MIERE, ex. Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers. He had previously held a post described as Asst. director of electronics at the War Office, followed by a tenure at Gresham Lion Electronics. Therefore either or both of the above companies may have been partly or entirely associated with defence projects.

My interest stems from their ties with Compton organs. The John Compton Organ Company was split up in the 1960s, and a new company called 'Compton Organs Ltd.' was formed, of which Col P-J was a director. The new company identified itself as part of the Hirel Group and EPTA / Hirel shared Compton's existing premises in Acton. The reason for this is not yet clear to me; one commentator suggests that the motivation was mainly to make use of Compton's factory and workforce.

Compton were very busy during the 1960s but they were clinging on to obsolete technology and their fragile bubble burst when Hirel and EPTA were wound up.

But what had those firms been doing in the meantime?

I note that there have been various firms with forms of 'Hi-Rel' in their names, but the later ones don't seem to have any connection.
Old 3rd Jul 2022, 6:45 pm   #2
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Default Re: Hirel, EPTA and Col. F.R. Peathey-Johns

Hi Lucien, you could try the libraries/ archives of The IEE (IET) and IMechE. I found them to be pretty helpful.
Patent office library often had useful trade directories

Ed
Closed Thread