UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 30th Jun 2022, 7:27 pm   #1
RichardGM
Pentode

Default Military wire recorder?

This is another of the items in my friend's loft that were acquired by her late husband. The label is hard to read and worse at the reduced resolution required for posting here. I think it says
SOUND RECORDER
TYPE 4183

I think it may be a wire recorder, with the two metal cans containing recording wire, but I tried to open one and couldn't manage as it seemed to be rusted shut, which casts doubt on the state of the wire inside, if indeed that is what it contains.

Anyone know anything about it?

Should I put it in the Offered section?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sound recorder.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	150.5 KB
ID:	260173  
Old 30th Jun 2022, 9:02 pm   #2
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Default Re: Military wire recorder?

I think it is one of these from WWll. I were once told Aircraft would record a morse message and transmit it back to base at maybe 3x speed to defeat German DF. Others may know different.
Put some PlusGass on the hinge and threads may take a few days of treatment but don't force an damage the hinge.

After thought, have you moved the Time Indicator? it engages with the internal spools.

John.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_1699.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	260175   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_1701.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	260176   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_1700.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	260177  
Old 30th Jun 2022, 9:23 pm   #3
regenfreak
Heptode

The way it works is very interesting. I remember watching this video by Glasslinger a while back:

https://youtu.be/wAc241Bzx9k
Old 30th Jun 2022, 9:40 pm   #4
RichardGM
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60 oldjohn View Post
I think it is one of these from WWll. I were once told Aircraft would record a morse message and transmit it back to base at maybe 3x speed to defeat German DF. Others may know different.
Put some PlusGass on the hinge and threads may take a few days of treatment but don't force an damage the hinge.

After thought, have you moved the Time Indicator? it engages with the internal spools.

John.
Apart from trying (not very had) and failing to open one of the cans, I haven't done anything with it. I'll have another look next time I visit.
Old 1st Jul 2022, 6:44 am   #5
brenellic2000
Octode

It's a Boosey & Hawkes 'Wirek' Type 49 airborne recorder; the 4183 was a 'crash-proofed- variant.
Old 1st Jul 2022, 8:31 am   #6
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

Boosey & Hawkes as in musical instrument makers? Presumably like many companies during WW2 they turned their skills to making product to support the war effort.

Craig
Old 1st Jul 2022, 9:05 am   #7
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Sawyers View Post
Boosey & Hawkes as in musical instrument makers? Presumably like many companies during WW2 they turned their skills to making product to support the war effort.

Craig

I have two Boosey & Hawkes reels of wire with my KB EWR60 wire recorder from 1949. I wonder if they were war surplus or did they continue making it after the war?

John.
Old 1st Jul 2022, 9:10 am   #8
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Boosey and Hawkes continued to make wire recorders into the 1950s, culminating in a multi-format machine. I won one on an auction site but it went astray, and I've never seen another. B&H's last foray in the field was a battery tape recorder with a wind-up motor, which has a layout like the later Gramdeck.
Old 1st Jul 2022, 9:31 am   #9
turretslug
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Sawyers View Post

Craig
Not just a WW2 trend- on the subject of musician gear, check Moog's diversity of interest!

Colin
Old 1st Jul 2022, 9:34 am   #10
DMcMahon
Dekatron

There is quite a lot of information on Boosey & Hawkes and their Wirek recorders in Barry's excellent book "A guide to British Tape Recorders".

David
Old 1st Jul 2022, 10:55 am   #11
brenellic2000
Octode

Thanks David! Like most 'allied' wire recorders of that period (1930s-1950s) these were based on American designs - in B&H's case, mostly Armor... who went to town claiming patent infringements from every Tom, Dick and Harriett... until most ignored them!

The Type 49 was developed with Hawker Siddeley for flight testing (data/voice) c1950/51; the 4185 appears to differ by being bolted to the aircraft and thus more likely to survive a crash!

Alas Wirek's records were destroyed in a factory fire.
Old 2nd Jul 2022, 9:55 am   #12
RichardGM
Pentode

Thanks to all for the info. When I'm next up in my friend's loft I'll have a bit more of a look, to see what sort of state it's in. If it's not a complete wreck I'll put it in the Offered section with a link to this thread.
Closed Thread