UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Jun 2022, 1:26 pm   #1
Lewisjb
Diode

Default Hacker Talisman GP46 - Guidance needed

Hi guys,

I've had a hacker talisman GP46 that was handed down to me for a few years now, however after not being in use for a year or two (Grundig Sideboard took the spotlight for a while) I think the pre amp might have failed. The player is extremely quiet hence my reason for thinking this.

Is it possible to use a separate amp with the player and some speakers until I can get it fixed ?

Thank you for any guidance provides.
Old 25th Jun 2022, 1:44 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Hacker Talisman GP46 - Guidance needed

It's more likely that the cartridge has failed.
Old 26th Jun 2022, 7:46 am   #3
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Yes, the Sonotone cartridge may have failed - as they do. Is yours fitted with the BSR Autochanger on the BSR single play deck? This is a good sounding record player. There's a "Stereo" output socket at the back that you might try with another amplifier to test the cartridge. It may not be a good match to the amplifier you test it on, but it will give an indication as to the cartridge's condition.
Old 26th Jun 2022, 11:58 am   #4
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Quite likely as Paul states the cartridge has failed but as with any fault some simple fault finding is worth performing.
Search for ‘buzz’ test on the forum, it will at least give a basic test of cartridge and amplifier without any dismantling.
Old 3rd Jul 2022, 6:28 pm   #5
Lewisjb
Diode

Default Re: Hacker Talisman GP46 - Guidance needed.

Thanks for all the advice guys. My next question is where can I get a Sonotone 3549 as I can't seem to find any online ? Are they interchangeable or does it need to be that exact model ?

I'm a complete novice to all this really but I think it's a single play deck Edward.
Old 4th Jul 2022, 9:19 am   #6
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

It does not need to be an exact replacement. Any good quality stereo cartridge giving c.200mV output will suffice. A Chuo Denshi clone (generic Red Chinese cheapie) will be ideal provided it comes with a 1/2" standard mount. And quite easy to fit on the "single play" deck which may well be a BSR P128 type.
Old 7th Jul 2022, 7:30 pm   #7
Lewisjb
Diode

So I ordered this one:-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124610119456

and it doesn't seem to be the right one. Do you have any links for the right one? The player is a BSR P128.
Old 8th Jul 2022, 9:42 am   #8
Station X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Huggins View Post
It does not need to be an exact replacement. Any good quality stereo cartridge giving c.200mV output will suffice. A Chuo Denshi clone (generic Red Chinese cheapie) will be ideal provided it comes with a 1/2" standard mount. And quite easy to fit on the "single play" deck which may well be a BSR P128 type.
This one perhaps:-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/383565805593

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 8th Jul 2022, 4:42 pm   #9
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Thanks Graham. Yes, that's the one. In my experience, these give a most excellent sound.